Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

Marilyn
Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
Gay Rights Activist Murdered in Sierra Leone

Fanny Ann Eddy, the 30-year old founder of the Sierra Leone Lesbian and Gay Association, was murdered in the organization's offices on September 28. She leaves behind a 9-year-old son. She was reportedly raped repeatedly, stabbed, and had her neck was broken. Eddy was part of the delegation Human Rights Watch took to the United Nations Human Rights Commission in Geneva last spring to advocate for the failed Resolution on Sexual Orientation and Human Rights. Donations for her son and the Sierra Leone Lesbian and Gay Association are being collected by the Behind the Mask organization.

Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Wow... shocking news.

I think I've received emails from her. Very sad.

I hate to see things like this. Pissed me off to no end.

chillywilly
Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Possibly Ashcroft's replacement.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=241596&page=1

Read up, kids..

Quote:
His term as White House counsel was not without controversy, as he fought with Congress to keep the details of Vice President Dick Cheney's energy commission meetings secret and defended the administration's right to detain terrorism suspects indefinitely without formal charges and to deny them access to counsel or to protection from the court system.

Perhaps even more controversial was the February 2002 memo he wrote in which the Bush administration claimed that the Geneva Conventions did not apply to certain prisoners taken in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The memo claimed that the importance of gaining information about possible future terror attacks from people suspected of links to terrorist groups "renders obsolete Geneva's strict limitations on questioning of enemy prisoners.

Marilyn
Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:27 pm Reply with quote
This may be payment to the Hispanic voters, especially in Florida.

Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Let's see... Hispanics, Religious Right.... who else is on Bush's "Payback for a 2nd Term" list?

Ghulam
Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I thought Gonzales was slated to be Bush's next nominee for the Supreme Court rather than AG. I don't know where he could do moe harm.
Ghulam
Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:51 pm Reply with quote
more
censored-03
Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 3058 Location: Gotham, Big Apple, The Naked City
I'm glad I'm not a fetishist or I wouldn't be able to get past Melody's and Marilyn's avatars today, or have I !!!

Marilyn
Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Our patron saint is Nancy Sinatra. Come on, boots, let's walk!

Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Chilly, do reality based people fit into the payback scheme?

Marilyn, what horrific news. It's heartbreaking.
Marilyn
Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Being involved with Amnesty International brings me that kind of news almost daily. I've been working to help the women of Colombia's community groups, who are being harrassed and murdered on every week. The victories are few, but when they come, they make it worth all the horror I have to read about.

I think there's something a little off with me. I read about this kind of stuff all the time. Nothing was as bad to read about as the torture and murder in Northern Ireland as chronicled by Martin Dillon. But I couldn't look away.

Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Haiku wrote:
Chilly, do reality based people fit into the payback scheme?

Personally, I don't think so. Don't know too many reality based people that were courted by Bush.

I would say my ex-wife, but she voted no on Amendment 3 here in Utah. And her parents (my ex-inlaws) voted No on 3 and voted for Kerry. Can't fault them there.

I think Bush preys on/prays for the ignorant.

bocce
Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:45 pm Reply with quote
billy...

while i understand the "cathartic" element of your friend's letter, you might want to tell him to get somewhat better informed about the red state vote so that it might possibly be turned around next time.

since his (an most other ignorant, not stupid, mind you, northerners) main vitriole is projected on the south, let's start his education there:

1) the southern colonies (and i include maryland which would have suceeded had there not been half a million federal troops quartered there in 1861) contributed in equal measure, both intellectually and martially, in the revolutionary war (perhaps he'll recall such non entities as patrick henry, thomas paine, jefferson and washington).

2) if you look at the urban vote in the 2004 election, 95% of southern cities and the counties in which they were and, generally, those that surrounded them voted blue. it was the democrat's failure in the rural areas of all the red states to muster the vote.

it's really the urban/rural issue the democrats don't get. their traditional powerbase has been the cities, the burbs and the union vote. well, the union vote is virtually a eunuch of the new millenium whether you or i or your buddy likes it or not. the democrats have expended so much time on the urban/union vote, that they've ignored and, subsequently, alienated the semi-rural and rural constituency.

there is (obviously) and has been for a long time, a rather contemptuous attitude on the part of northeasterners and now the west coast crowd to assume nothing of value lies btwn the appalachians and the rockies save chicago (maybe) or below the mason/dixon. if they're planning on winning in 2008, they'd better readjust that thinking.

one remarkable distinction i think the dems fail to perceive is that between "neighborhood" and "town". it's very subtle, but very important. given that the dems rely on the urban paradigm, they have a tendency to think of the two as equivalent. they're not even remotely.

the neighborhood is an immediate subset of the city. the town is a stand alone entity. even small cities (like mine) have their own unique character which is derived of a distance from a larger hub. now i'm sure you're going to counter with the ethnic neighborhood as unique, but is it really? proximity equals homogeneity in sum (as is validated by the election stats) on both ends of the spectrum.

whoa, gotta call, gotta go....will continue later...
chillywilly
Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Done deal for Gonzales.

That was sure quick for replacing Ashcroft. Either he's in very bad health or there was another agenda for moving as quickly as they did.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/11/10/bush.cabinet/index.html

chillywilly
Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Hey... McBain...

Just saw a news thing on the Big Dig.

"The September leak was the latest in a series of embarrassing episodes in the two-decade construction of the Big Dig, formally called the Central Artery/Third Harbor Tunnel project."

I've not really heard many positives on this. Seems like a disaster waiting to happen.