Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

Marj
Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:51 am Reply with quote
Sorry Marc, you were referring to the author of the article. I was reading to fast.

But I'm confused about the disparity. Please explain?
censored-03
Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:33 am Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 3058 Location: Gotham, Big Apple, The Naked City
First of all McCain doesn't have a rat's ass in hell of a chance to be nominated by THIS Republican political party...nor would he really want to be. He quite simply doesn't have their agenda in his heart, and he is not in their system at all really.

Hillary ? Foggeddaboudit !! 12 years ago when her husband was magnanimous enough to invite his politically "liberated" wife/first lady to take charge of healthcare in America - update it, make it more affordable and modernize it - the American public as much as spit on her and sent her packing for virtually the next 8 years...so much for enlightened partnerships in the Whitehouse. Don't think that this same American public so obviously unenlightened to what a woman is capable of doing would ever let Hillary get anywhere near the Whitehouse....next !

The youth of America did come out in record numbers this time - sadly it was the same 17% as the last election - reason ?- the other age groups in the voting public came out in the exact same equivalent numbers and trounced the young !

One more thing and possibly the saddest thing about Tuesday is that Hispanics voted for Bush by 44% - up from 32% last time. Who are the leaders in this huge community and what the fuck are they thinking !!!

censored-03
Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:40 am Reply with quote
http://www.theonion.com/news/index.php?issue=4044&n=1

censored-03
Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:42 am Reply with quote
P.S. The reason Kerry didn't win is quite simple really, it was because he protested the Viet Nam war so blatantly...and so it goes.

Melody
Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The secular states of modern Europe do not understand the fundamentalism of the American electorate. It is not what they had experienced from this country in the past. In fact, we now resemble those nations less than we do our putative enemies.

Where else do we find fundamentalist zeal, a rage at secularity, religious intolerance, fear of and hatred for modernity? Not in France or Britain or Germany or Italy or Spain. We find it in the Muslim world, in Al Qaeda, in Saddam Hussein's Sunni loyalists. Americans wonder that the rest of the world thinks us so dangerous, so single-minded, so impervious to international appeals. They fear jihad, no matter whose zeal is being expressed.

It is often observed that enemies come to resemble each other. We torture the torturers, we call our God better than theirs -- as one American general put it, in words that the president has not repudiated.

From Gary Wills' NYT column, linked by Ghulam earlier.

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:59 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
yambu wrote:
The Dems, today, need to be looking toward 2008 for a candidate. Southern, centrist, convincingly Christian, internationally respected, with a plan to disengage us from Iraq, after 20,00 dead troops and wholesale civil war; a visionary on how to stem a six year runaway inflation. If it weren't for that cigar, that might be Bill Clinton Redux. Absent him, it is certainly not John Edwards. Who can that man be?

I also disagree that the Dems need to become Bush lite. I think we need to confront these sanctimonious, bigoted, egomaniacal shitheads where they live. I have hatched a plot to get photos of dead Iraqi children, blow them up to poster size and send them to everyone who wants them to picket churches that are strongholds of Christian fundamentalism. Anyone in?

BTW, "Who can that man be?" Hillary Clinton.

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:21 am Reply with quote
I feel like I can't wake up from a bad dream and I have a real sense of shame for what my countrymen have done. I do not live in their reality. I am completely alien to them and they to me.

In any event, I think this bit of decent news is very interesting
http://www.salon.com/news/wire/2004/11/03/abortion/index.html
Ghulam
Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:28 am Reply with quote
Yambu and Marilyn, Richard Cohen in the Washington Post suggests that man might be Al Gore!
jeremy
Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:42 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
A couple of weeks ago the European Parliament was about to throw out the new Eurpean Commission ("The Administration" of the EU) because one of its members expressed the opinion that homosexuality was a sin. The President Of European Commission has since withdrawn the individual in question from consideration.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
Marilyn
Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:46 am Reply with quote
He'll probably head over here and put his name forward for U.S. Supreme Court justice, Jeremy. We must look like a very, very backward nation.

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:47 am Reply with quote
Haiku, thanks for highlighting Arlen Specter's statement. Whenever moderate Republicans speak up, I feel there is still hope for this country. It is so sad that the non-evangelical, balanced-budget, pro-environment and pro-science Republicans have allowed the crazies to become the sole voice of their party. Moderate Republicans may be able to do more at this time to save us than the feckless leaders of my party.
Marilyn
Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:49 am Reply with quote
Ghulam, it was like that Republican on NOW whose name I can't remember said. There will now be a battle within the Republican Party. That, I must admit, I'm looking forward to!

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
We must look like a very, very backward nation.

Only "look like"? You are generous. I'm much more bitter and cynical. I posit that we are living in a backward nation.
Marilyn
Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:55 am Reply with quote
Haiku - You may be right, but I don't think it's that simple. It took a lot of sophistication for the Radical Right to make the gains it has; it did it by exploiting the emotions of people who rely more on their beliefs than on themselves. There are still a lot of self-reliant people in this country.

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:55 am Reply with quote
BTW - I AM shooting a bird at South Africa. Talk about a pot calling a kettle black.