Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  Alternate Universes

Lacey
Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:38 am Reply with quote
Haiku, do it!!! The themes are so relevant right now. Each character is in someway disenfranchised (although you never completely find out how for all of the characters since Fox killed the series). The lead (captain Mal) was an idealistic crusader for the well-named Independent faction and was bitterly disappointed, not just by their loss in the war, but by the Independents themselves. In the pilot you find out that Mal and his troops were abandoned by the Independents during a battle and told to surrender b/c rescuing the troops was too dangerous (this plays into the series in that Mal refuses to ever leave any of his crew behind). You also have a society that is polarized with the haves, the conformists living very well on the central planets and the have-nots the settlers on the border planets barely scraping by.
Haiku
Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:45 am Reply with quote
Done.

I figure one Godzilla & Mothra and Plan 9 From Outer Space and some other B movies that my hubby has been putting on the list recently deserve a counterattack of Firefly. It's the battle of the Netflix queue.
Marilyn
Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:47 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
Hey, I like Godzilla and Mothra! Plan 9, though...

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:52 am Reply with quote
I like Godzilla & Mothra too and actually Plan 9 has its merits, particularly if you watch it shortly after Ed Wood. It's just been the B fest at the house. I couldn't take it anymore. Needed to counterattack. Maybe a pre-emptive list? Dunno. Need to consult my advisors. Twisted Evil
Marilyn
Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:56 am Reply with quote
I understand, and grudgingly agree about Plan 9. My home has suddenly been invaded by horror films, so I get it.

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:59 am Reply with quote
btw, Marilyn, that's a lovely new avatar you have. What is it? Is it Don Quixote? If so, poignant.

oh, and LOL. Looks like it's going well though. I'm happy for you.
Marilyn
Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:01 am Reply with quote
It's a sculpture done by American James Earle Fraser called "The End of the Trail," meant to final domination of Native Americans. It has always moved me so.

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:02 am Reply with quote
It's beautiful and indeed very moving.
Marilyn
Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:08 am Reply with quote
I posted a link in The Lobby yesterday that tells more about it.

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:47 am Reply with quote
Found it. Just wonderful.
carrobin
Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to break out my Firefly DVDs as soon as I finish the freelance job that has to be turned in Monday. I've never been so depressed by an election. Am I wrong to suspect that there was some right-wing rigging with the voting machines? I've read at least two reports of people using the computer machines finding that they registered Bush/Cheney instead of the Democratic ticket as voted. (These are the machines supplied by the pro-Bush computer firm.) And lots of people didn't get their absentee ballots in time, or at all. And there's no way to track or trace any "missed votes," by computer or by mail ballot. It all seems suspicious to me.

Or maybe I just don't want to believe so many Americans are so gullible and fearful of liberal values.
Lacey
Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I think I'm going to dedicate my weekend to lots of Whedon escapism. I'm pretty sure a new issue of astonishing x-men comes out, there's the 1/2 season of firefly (which never gets old) and I have season one of BtVS.
dlhavard
Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 1352 Location: Detroit (where the slow are run over)
LOST was excellent last night. I liked Charlie's flashbacks. The story was less spookey than previous episodes - except for the end. Some further musings:

Jack - is he REALLY a doctor? I'm not saying he WASN'T a doctor at one time BUT all those tatoos, short haircut and build makes me think: EX-CON?

Who hit the Arab? Why? I don't think it was Frank, there wasn't enough time (though I'm sure they will blame him). Are there others on the island?

Good stuff.
Kate
Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 1397 Location: Pacific Northwest
dlhavard wrote:
LOST was excellent last night. I liked Charlie's flashbacks. The story was less spookey than previous episodes - except for the end. Some further musings:

Jack - is he REALLY a doctor? I'm not saying he WASN'T a doctor at one time BUT all those tatoos, short haircut and build makes me think: EX-CON?

Who hit the Arab? Why? I don't think it was Frank, there wasn't enough time (though I'm sure they will blame him). Are there others on the island?

Good stuff.

DL,

I agree it was really good. There is something funky about Jack for sure. Kate is also a little over the top with her affection for him considering he really doesn't seem to return it in that way.

I like the idea that they are all dead already and are sorting out who goes up and who goes down, with each being given a chance for redemption.

Lots of fun!
ehle64
Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:21 pm Reply with quote
I have been really wishing I were in an Alternative Universe these last few days. *sigh*

I have the lastest "Lost" TiVO'd. Methinks their life on that island is a lot sunnier than mine.