Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

Marilyn
Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
Bocce - That's just weird! "The End of the Trail" is too depressing for words. Matching it with Beach Boys music is insane.

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
But then Brian Wilson WAS insane.

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:02 pm Reply with quote
WAS?

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:04 pm Reply with quote
It's sad to say, but the Massachusetts court's ruling on gay marriage is what sank Kerry.

People in Ohio turned out not just for Bush, but to say no to fags. Bush rode that bigotry right into a second term.

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:12 pm Reply with quote
As I listened to the concession speech in my car in the Chick Fil-A line, I got some strange looks from the kid who handed me my sandwich when he saw the tears trailing down my cheeks. Then, when I drove up my Bush-Cheney sign-strewn street, it was all I could do not to cut a sharp right and take them all out. I guess all Kerry supporters need a day or two of mourning, but I really believe that this will mobilize the Democratic party, and it won't be long until things start turning around.

But for right now, it's a black day in America.
chillywilly
Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
I'm sorry Kerry lost, but I don't think it comes down to brainwashing or stupidity or anything else. It comes down to more Americans having a different idea about the leadership this country needs than we do.

But I admire everyone on this site for their commitment to their political beliefs, and I'm sorry things didn't turn out differently.

Yes Joe it's pretty disappointing what happened, but I still feel my voice was heard. I just need to find a new place in this country where it is heard more often. I can tell you that Utah is not that place anymore. I am the minority here in this state.

But until that opportunity arises, I'm going to speak out more and let my concerns, thoughts and other issues be known.

Private Joker
Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:30 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Joker--Of all the many articles and editorials I have been reading and will read, I doubt many will match the sweetness, the honesty, and the downright profundity of your post. Thank you.

You're welcome Billy, and I appreciate the kind words as well. I feel for those such as yourself who had higher expectations of this election, because having hopes dashed is insult to the injury of the election results. Interestingly, I was pessimistic yesterday but am optimistic today. In THE THIN RED LINE, a soldier going into battle talks of how "it has to get worse before it gets better." He's right. It always does. Those WWII soldiers who came home alive created suburbs, the middle-class, the cheery '50s, and an unstoppable economy.

It just got worse. But the beauty of hitting rock bottom is that the only place to go is up.

(That was my film-related content for the day).

Lacey
Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Joker--Of all the many articles and editorials I have been reading and will read, I doubt many will match the sweetness, the honesty, and the downright profundity of your post. Thank you.

Billyweeds I’m with you on that.

I’ll hold on to the idea of emigration, not because it’s likely to be something I’ll do, but because the idea that there is always a choice is empowering for me.

Today I’ll mope, I’ll drink too much wine, eat food that I probably shouldn’t, and watch anything on TV that can give me a break from reality. But, I know myself well enough to know that by the end of the week depression will give away to anger—and me angry is a good thing. Hell it’s already starting. We have a constitution that is supposed to protect us from religious fanatics, it’s time we start protecting that constitution and using it to protect us. Democrats need to stop dancing around trying to find middle ground. We need to stop cringing every time the right uses liberal like it’s a dirty word. Hell yes I’m liberal. And now I’m pissed, and any bible thumper who tries to tell me what I can and cannot do with my body and who my friends can marry, had just better pray to their version of Jesus. Here’s a guess: Those evangelical fanatics who hit the polls weren’t necessarily new, they just got mobilized and active. They got heard. Now I just have to figure out how I’m going to shout back.
Kate
Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 1397 Location: Pacific Northwest
The only silver lining I can come up with is that Bush and his ilk have gotten us in such a jam in Iraq that it will be nigh impossible to come out clean, therefore at least Bush will be held accountable.

And I agree Joker, nice glass-half-full post.
Marc
Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:44 pm Reply with quote
The fact that things are going to get worse before they get better is a good thing. Obviously things are going to have to get real bad before the citizens of the USA wake up. The young people who did not vote may need the real threat of a military draft to knock them off their complacent asses and propell them to action. I did my best this time around and will do my best next time. I am hugely disappointed and fearful of what the future holds. I am also hopeful that Bush is the last spasm of our collective reptilian brain.
Private Joker
Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:52 pm Reply with quote
For a laugh:

Lacey
Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:57 pm Reply with quote
LOL! we don't concede we secede!
zzzzzzzzzz.....
Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I found this on a blog. I thought it was interesting...

The Morning After
Buckle up. I've got a lot to say today.

As the whole world knows by now, it is pretty evident that George W. Bush will be the President of the United States for the next four years. Obviously, that makes me happy.

A lot of people are having some trouble with my happiness right now. That goes for you, too, if you voted for GWB. A flow of nastiness is seeping from through the floors of the country, pooling around the feet of the collective left.

But which left, you ask? Because sometimes, people will come after me for saying 'the left" as if that phrase represented everyone who sits, well, to the left of me and not just the wingers, even though they know full well I mean the Michael Moores, the DU citizens, the Oliver Willises and MoveOn members of the world.

Not so sure about that today. I woke up to a very different world in which people I assumed were rational Democrats are spitting poison nails. I received some nasty emails and comments (since deleted) that were alarming in their venom and hatred. People I never had a harsh word with were suddenly knocking down my virtual door to leaving the equivalent of letter bombs. This did not frighten me so much as make me sad. I can say with all honesty that, had Kerry won this election, I would have done no such thing. But, that's just me.

I did read through some of the near lunatic fringe of the left today. Sad state of affairs, really. They seem to be so overcome by bitterness and anger that their emotions are getting in the way of rational thinking. How else do you explain the call to arms, the threats to join al Qaeda, the pleas for violent uprising, or the wishful thinking for a terrorist attack to happen now?

And here we go again with the "illegitimate" election fantasies. The whole basis of argument for the left in recent times has been "if I don't agree with it, it must be a lie." This has never been more evident than right now. Witness: This election is a fraud, a sham. The Republicans (sorry, Rethuglicans) cheated their way through another vote. The vote counts are all wrong. The machines were fixed. Someone was paid off. And, of course, the exit polls were rigged. Even if Bush were to win both the Electoral vote and the popular vote, his win would be decried as illegal. Perhaps that is what is driving the hate today; the fact that there is nothing to point to in order to support the cries of another fake presidency.

I do believe that even if every person in America who voted for George Bush marched themselves in front of a line of lefties outside of George Soros's mansion this morning and pledged that they did, indeed, vote for GWB, they would claim that Karl Rove implanted mind control chips in each and every person.

Why is it so hard to imagine that not everyone thinks like you? Are these people so arrogant, so self-smug that they truly believe their way is the only way? Funny, that. They accuse Bush of that all the time and here they are engaging in it, with relish.

If you don't mind, I'd like to address the throngs of Chicken Littles who seem to be out in full force on the net today. I just want to clear up a few things, as you all seem to be pretty misguided in more than one area today.

I voted for George Bush.
I am not a redneck.
I do not spend my days watching cars race around a track, drinking cheap beer and slapping my woman on the ass.
I am not a bible thumper. In fact, I am an atheist.
I am not a homophobe.
I am educated beyond the fifth grade. In fact, I am college educated.
I am not stupid. Not by any stretch of facts.
I do not bomb abortion clinics.

You will not be thrown in jail for the sole reason of being a liberal.
Your child's public school will not suddenly turn into a center for Christian brainwashing.
Your favorite bookstore will not turn into puritan central.

This is not Nazi Germany in any way.
You will not be forced into concentration camps.
You will not be burned in human-sized ovens because of your religion.
We will not be forced to wear uniforms and march in line every day.
You will not live in fear.
If you think this is a country in which you have to live in fear, I have some friends in Iran who would like to have a little talk with you.

What does the (presumed) election of George Bush mean to you, as a member of the left? It means you and your party have four years to get yourselves together and figure out exactly what you stand for. It means you have a couple of years, max, to come up with a viable candidate who represents the majority of you and doesn't pander to every knock off group of your party. It means you have time to get your act together and decide once and for all what you stand for and produce a leader who will stand up for your ideals. It means you better find a candidate who is someone you can vote for with conscience, and not just vote for out of hatred for his opponent.

What did you all believe in this year? Hate? Anger? You ran your own campaign, one filled to the brim with bile and acidic spittle and you wonder why you feel so black today? You were pinning your hopes on the the wish that the rest of America harbored the same intense hatred as you and would vote with their clenched fists. Now that you are left without the hoped for victory party as an outlet for your rage, you have to direct it somewhere else. If not at the candidate, then at his voters, right? What I am seeing today makes me pity you, and it's a pity tinged with disgust and should not be mistaken for empathy.

It means the same things for us moderate Republicans. Maybe in this time we can produce a candidate who doesn't alienate the social liberal in us, yet speaks to our concerns about defense, security and the war on terror. I am not completely enamored with the Republican Party. There's a lot of work to be done within the ranks. I'd like to see a full stop of the move towards the religious right.

Perhaps there is the perfect candidate out there for both of us, someone just making his or her way up the political chain right now. With any luck, there will be a day when a president is elected who is liked by both sides of the fence, who is respected by everyone.

And that's the great thing about waking up today. See, the world is still here. The sun has risen, there were no great floods or earthquakes or visits from Lucifer during the night. We have the future. We can all - Republicans, Democrats and everyone else - learn a lot from this election and use those lessons to move this country forward.

Sure, it's easy for me to say those things while I'm sitting in the victor's chair at the moment. But I believe in my heart that if Kerry were today making a victory speech, I would feel the same way.

I certainly wouldn't be calling for violent action. I would not be threatening total strangers with death or wishing ill will on them.

But this is a left that is buttressed by people who have more bile than good will, more venom than virtue. They are fronted by circus sideshow acts like Michael Moore, who turn up the flames underneath their followers until the kettle is whistling like mad. That is the shrill sound you hear coming from the left today. And I fear no one is going to turn the flame down.

We are living out the proverbial Chinese curse of living in interesting times. I do hope with all my heart that we can turn down the hate at some point and make the next four years a little less interesting.

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I've been thinking for a while that a draft might actually help the situation in this country - the religious right might not be quite so righteous if they're forced to send their kids off to war. I have been thinking about that in terms of parents who vote. I was talking about that with a friend of mine today and he said he had been thinking along the same lines, but for a different reason. He was frustrated by the lack of young people voting, and he's starting to feel like, hey if you won't participate, then, fine, you go off and fight this war (you have to cut my friend some slack, he had just come from a conversation with his father, who was overjoyed that Bush can "fix" the Supreme Court and outlaw abortion).

One thing that really really bothers me is that Daschle got voted out. I don't know the political situation in South Dakota but it is unusual for a state to vote out a senior, influential Senator. It feels to me like the Republican party wanted to take him out deliberately - maybe I'm being paranoid, but it feels like they wanted to shut down strong opposition.

mcbain - I really think the Republicans were the ones to bring "gay marriage" up to start with. Karl Rove wanted that issue on the table so that he could motivate his forces. The Massachuetts legislature probably played into his hands, but I think Rove and co. would have figured out a way to keep the issue in the forefront no matter what.

Someone else I know brought up today that national security fears also seems to be one of the deciding issues in this election, and isn't it ironic that the citizens in the most visible and likely terror targets voted overwhelmly not to keep Bush.

Of course in the middle of all the commiserating today with my friends, I got a call from a new business contact, who lives in Kentucky. I haven't met him yet, I don't know his political leanings, but it was weird to suddenly shift gears and be chipper, answering his polite "how are you" with "oh fine", not "depressed and angry".
marantzo
Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Joker, I like that map. We get all the best parts.

Any want to get away from their theocracy is welcome at my place for a while. I have a spare bedroom. Hell you can house sit for me when I head down to Nassau this winter. Bring a parka.