Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Couch With A View

Befade
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I bought the dvd of The River last summer and watched it twice.....once with a young student from Taiwan.....She was very familiar with the dirty river and with the mall where old people sit all day eating McDonalds. She knew of the director and said that he was "arty". She'd seen his other film about the watch.......haven't seen that. She, herself was not arty.....her favorite tv show was The Restaurant.

Anyway.......that isn't the only Asian film I've seen that features parents taking care of a sick adult child.......

As to The Girl with the Pearl Earing.........I think the story is conjecture........not based on fact........but I saw it on the big screen and found it interesting........the life style and beautiful. When I was in NYC I spent time at the Met carefully looking at their 3 Vermeers...........there aren't many of them to see. I was wowed.

About Vermeer.........I have a question noone has been able to answer for me. Why does he have oriental rugs on the tables he paints.
Marj
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Befade Wrote:

Quote:
As to The Girl with the Pearl Earing.........I think the story is conjecture........not based on fact........

Your right. It is conjecture. Remember, this movie was based upon a novel.
Marj
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Trish wrote:

Quote:
Well acted (although Brian Bonsell was a little too cutesy to be Pan - but i'll let that slide).

Hi Trish,

I agree with you, although the actor was Jeremy Sumpter. I think Brian Bonsell must be an adult by now.

I was surprising taken by this version of Peter Pan. I actually liked the fusion of live action and amimation and loved P.J. Hogan's use of Rackman like faeries, mermaids et, al. While I wasn't moved as much as I am by the Charlap, Styne, musical, over all a good new classic version of the story.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was pretty lame, though I agree about the fusion of animation and live-action. Despite the ads, the movie has almost nothing to do with Barrie's Peter Pan of either stage or print.
Ghulam
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:56 pm Reply with quote
The weak story in Girl with a Pearl Earring would have been fine if it was a true story. But if they had to go for fiction, they should have gotten a much better and meatier story.
Marj
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Joe - I think we're in agreement of what we liked about Peter Pan. I love Arthur Rackman illustrations and was really pleased to see the director use them as models.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:02 am Reply with quote
Marj,

Yes, and there was the amazing "you are there" quality to the special effects, particularly the flying. It reminded me of those giant screen movies you'd see in amusement parks (this is before IMAX) with point-of-view shots of roller-coaster rides, auto races, etc.

I hated the almost complete abscence of humor and the stupid addition of the maiden aunt. Why? And the Barrie whimsey, completely eradicated. A shame.
Marj
Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:34 am Reply with quote
Joe wrote:

Quote:
I hated the almost complete abscence of humor and the stupid addition of the maiden aunt. Why? And the Barrie whimsey, completely eradicated. A shame.

I wish I had an answer. I actually did some reading, hoping someone would explain why the aunt was added, but couldn't find a thing. One thing I did find was a thought apparently dropped, that when the lost boys go home with Wendy, Smee goes with them and get's together with the aunt. Stupid, I know.

As far as lack of humor and whimsey, well ... the film did take itself pretty seriously didn't it?
Marc
Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:06 am Reply with quote
wow was I disappointed by FOG OF WAR. Why the hype, why the great reviews? Why the Oscar? I found the ilm to be almost completely without merit. Its a documentary that lacks insight, revelation, drama or even the buzz of expose. A real dull slog.
djmnyc
Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:24 am Reply with quote
Joined: 29 May 2004 Posts: 10 Location: New York/Costa Rica/Private Idaho
Finally saw Capturing the Friedmans. Pretty disturbing, especially some of the less up-front stuff. There was some serious subtext going on with a lot of the interviewees, besides just the family. I wondered, has David ever had a romantic/sexual relationship? Or the other brothers? Quite sad--extra footage, soon.
Trish
Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:27 am Reply with quote
Marj

Quote:
I agree with you, although the actor was Jeremy Sumpter. I think Brian Bonsell must be an adult by now.

LOL - sorry how lazy of me not to look at the credits - but damn if he wasn't a perfect clone of the young Bonsell

I understand Your's and Joe's critiques of the film - I guess I was just very impressed by the film visually and Isaacs certainly made the most attractive Hook yet
marnie
Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:29 am Reply with quote
Watched Ken Park at home. It's one of the most beautiful american movies ever.
Marc
Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:55 pm Reply with quote
KEN PARK directed by Larry Clark. This is one film that you will probably never see in American movie theaters. It was produced and abandoned. If you want to discover what may be the most important American film of 2003, you’ll have to get your hands on a copy of the Russian DVDs that are floating around. I would recommend you do so. Watching KEN PARK is both a staggeringly sad and beautiful experience. It chronicles the broken lives of a group of teen skateboarders in a lower middle class suburb of Southern California. The kids are either ignored or abused by their parents. So, they turn to each other for love. And this is where director Clark goes that no other film maker has gone. He depicts teenage lust honestly, he shows us the kids making love, tenderly and frankly. The movie is explicit. And to most of us, it has real shock value. For me, the shock is in how beautifully rendered these scenes are. They are shot without any sense of gratuitousness or voyeurism.
Clark merely points the camera at his subjects and lets them behave naturally.
Against the harshness of the rest of the film, the love scenes are breath of cleansing air. KEN PARK is at times brutal. Parents are either abusive predators or simply not there. The kids are left to fend for themselves. They create a community based on their love of skateboarding, hip hop, dope and sex. KEN PARK gets to the rotten core of what creates horror shows like Columbine. There’s something terribly wrong with American youth culture. But, the one thing that is keeping KEN PARK from being seen, is the one thing that is beautiful, tender and redemptive about the movie: sexual energy as a healing power.
marnie
Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:57 pm Reply with quote
i found the dvd at my local blockbuster here in italy
Jynx
Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I am do digging your icon.