Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  Director's Series: Fred Zinnemann

Marc
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:37 pm Reply with quote
"that's what happens when you are into the psychological ramifications of the story rather than waiting for the showdown. "

billy, you're so deep. I am in awe. I can see you sitting in the front row of the cinema, your tiny tassle loafered feet barely able to touch the theater floor, your black rimmed glasses reflecting the silver screen: the flashing beacons of your intellect, a notepad in hand, a thermos filled with expresso in your lap, your sunken chest enshrouded with a t-shirt that says "Mama's Little Genius", and your girlfriend, Agnes, gently snoozing in the seat next to you, her index finger jammed up her snot encrusted nostril.
lshap
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
Marc wrote:

billy, you're so deep. I am in awe. I can see you sitting in the front row of the cinema, your tiny tassle loafered feet barely able to touch the theater floor, your black rimmed glasses reflecting the silver screen: the flashing beacons of your intellect, a notepad in hand, a thermos filled with expresso in your lap, your sunken chest enshrouded with a t-shirt that says "Mama's Little Genius", and your girlfriend, Agnes, gently snoozing in the seat next to you, her index finger jammed up her snot encrusted nostril.

I just woke up my wife from laughing so hard. This is so fucking funny I'm tempted to post it in its own, private review forum!
Melody
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Thank y'all for not revealing plot points. I'm a Zinnemann newbie and so will be seeing most of these films for the first time.

SPOILER ALERTS will be much appreciated.

What worked well in the Polanski forum (the only special forum I've participated in) was that we basically discussed one film per week. For instance, we could give a deadline of Sunday, June 6th for everybody to run out and rent From Here to Eternity, with discussion beginning Monday. Our next film's deadline would be Sunday, June 13th, etc. Just a suggestion.

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Melody wrote:
What worked well in the Polanski forum (the only special forum I've participated in) was that we basically discussed one film per week. For instance, we could give a deadline of Sunday, June 6th for everybody to run out and rent From Here to Eternity, with discussion beginning Monday. Our next film's deadline would be Sunday, June 13th, etc. Just a suggestion.

Sounds good to me. Wanna do that with From Here to Eternity? I'm okay with it.
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Marc wrote:

You got most of it right. Her name was actually Letitia and it was a polo shirt, not a t-shirt, and the glasses had horn rims, but you were close.
Kate
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 1397 Location: Pacific Northwest
I am in (I know, don't all clap at once). The one difficulty for those of us not in a pretty large met area is being able to get our hands on the film in enough time, so as Melody said, a time frame should be set.
marantzo
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Ghulam if you think that Julia is one of Zinneman's (sp?) best, I think you should be banned from this discussion. I wouldn't have been one of Ed Wood's best. And Redgrave's Oscar for best actress is right up there with Charlton Heston's.
marantzo
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:34 pm Reply with quote
A few typo's and omissions above.
Marc
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:41 pm Reply with quote
and you're the one who said the edit feature was for wimps.
marantzo
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:48 pm Reply with quote
It is! I'm man enough to not worry about looking like an idiot.
Ghulam
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:56 pm Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
Ghulam if you think that Julia is one of Zinneman's (sp?) best, I think you should be banned from this discussion. I wouldn't have been one of Ed Wood's best. And Redgrave's Oscar for best actress is right up there with Charlton Heston's.

I would not answer that, but that was a wonderful way to start out our new Director's Forum.
ehle64
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Fine. Start a whole discussion w/o me. Are we all supposed to watch The Search first? Cool!
Ghulam
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:09 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was From Here to Etrnity starting on June 6th. Correct?
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:13 pm Reply with quote
I saw The Search last night and High Noon tonight, so either one of those works best for me, but I'm willing to discuss other choices. My feeling is that we should begin with High Noon, since it's generally regarded as his masterpiece, but like I say, I'm not going to get crazy about this.
Kate
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 1397 Location: Pacific Northwest
Just curious... is there any merit to doing something like first film to last? To see growth in ability and talent. Most likely not, as there are so many turkeys in between any director's career that it would be a waste of space, but to me it is interesting to watch how a director grows and changes....