Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

lshap
Posted: Sun May 16, 2004 10:03 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
All films great, fair and godawful now playing in theaters...

Last edited by lshap on Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:47 pm; edited 3 times in total
jeremy
Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 10:07 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
For God sake somebody say thing...I can't stand it anymore.

Off to see Troy.

My next post will be something along the lines of, "Saw Troy, will post on it later."

My third post...
marantzo
Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 10:13 am Reply with quote
Hi Jeremy, have a nice day at the movies.

Is that better?
Melody
Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 10:34 am Reply with quote
In Troy, contrary to popular myth, Brad Pitt does NOT get naked. According to my friend who, rather than rely on cheap gossip, actually went and saw it, she said you see a hint of pubes, bare-chested bravado and a fair amount of high-dollar bronzer action.

I say FIE ON YOU Hollywood and Brad Pitt advisors.
Evil or Very Mad

(Actually, I'll be honest -- even with a full monty BP, you couldn't drag me kicking & screaming to see it.)

Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 11:52 am Reply with quote
Melody

No there is a brief brief scene of his nude butt from the side - when he's in bed with the cousin (name?) of hector - its so brief it really ain't worth mentioning unless your a PR for the film
Haiku
Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 2:18 pm Reply with quote
If anyone is interested in culture and films made by and about pan-Pacific islanders, including New Zealand, there is a great film festival (and more) going on this weekend in NYC. The festival is sponsored by the Hawai'i Cultural Foundation and it starts tonight. For more info, check out
http://www.hawaiiculturalfoundation.org/

I'm very excited about it and plan to attend tonight and Sunday. Have friends coming to visit on Saturday, so I'll sadly have to miss the day.
ehle64
Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Melody wrote:
(Actually, I'll be honest -- even with a full monty BP, you couldn't drag me kicking & screaming to see it.)

There is something SO WRONG with that! Laughing
Jynx
Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Rotten.com used to have a full monty of BP, OMG ... that guy is, well ... um, let's just say he could slay with more than his sword! Like a friggin' horse.

I don't want to see Troy in the theater; although I think it's one of those Titanic kinda films that has to be seen on the big screen to be appreciated, I just can't go that long without freaking out and having a panic attack.

Bummer.

I had to leave during the Rose slums it in 3rd class scene during Titanic ... 2 Xanax later, I was fine.

Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy watching a bunch of women trying to out 'sexist pig' the men. I guess they have a lot of time to make up for. Shocked
Ghulam
Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Saw Supersize Me. Rather forgettable and often boring. Does provide a lot of useful information and could have been a nice 1 hour documentary on PBS. There is no entertainment in seeing a man stuffing himself with hamburgers in front of cameras and getting fat. Michael Moore would not do that (he does not need to).
Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 9:56 pm Reply with quote
"There is no entertainment in seeing a man stuffing himself with hamburgers in front of cameras and getting fat."

Is it supposed to be entertaining, in the way Men in Black or Meet the Parents is "entertaining?"

"Michael Moore would not do that (he does not need to."

HA HA! A Michael Moore is fat joke! Those are the best:

"Hey, George Bush let a bunch of Saudis, including members of the bin Laden family, fly out of the country the day after 9-11 (when every flight in North America was grounded) without ever being questioned by the CIA, the FBI or anyone."

"Hey, Michael Moore! You're fat! HA HA!"

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
Ghulam
Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 11:02 pm Reply with quote
"Is it supposed to be entertaining, in the way Men in Black or Meet the Parents is "entertaining?" "

It did not seem to me the subject was suitable for comedy or satire, as Michael Moore's subjects are, and to do an experiment on oneself to prove the obvious, taking risks with one's health, can hardly be called entertaining. When it was first shown in Sundance, the unconventional nature of the idea may have been of interest, but when I saw it today, I did not feel at all amused.
Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Sat May 22, 2004 12:27 am Reply with quote
Ghulam wrote:
"...when I saw it today, I did not feel at all amused.

Again, is it supposed to be "amusing?"

I haven't seen it, so my position is a bit wobbly. But while the premise is slightly askew so as to initially be funny, I don't know if a movie about a guy experimenting with eating himself to death to illustrate the very real health hazards presented by fast food should be judged solely on the merits of whether or not it's funny, entertaining, or amusing.

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
Ghulam
Posted: Sat May 22, 2004 2:44 am Reply with quote

Mr B, I would be interested in hearing what you think f it.
marantzo
Posted: Sat May 22, 2004 8:55 am Reply with quote
Supersize Me is a movie that I have as much interest in seeing as I have for picking up Madonna's Swept Away.