Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

Ghulam
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Marilyn, you have sold me on Coffee and Cigarettes.
Trish
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:39 pm Reply with quote
sorry that should read global warming (not warning)
Haiku
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
the obvious Heathers similarity, though Sioux's provocative point that at least this movie doesn't bring in a male character to deal with the girls' interaction is a very appealing point.

I didn't see Sioux's post on this film, but it's spot on - the few men who are in the film are more enlightened, but they play second fiddle to the girls. I've had a hard time keeping up with all the posts! It was somewhat similar to Heathers, but lighter (as in not as sadistic). The way I figured it is that I was watching the new generation's weak equivalent of all those great high school life films of my adolescence.

Oh and btw, the film had nothing on the BTVS depiction of high school either.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Then it sucks! Just kidding.

Sioux's post was on the Times forum. If she's saved it, she should repost it here, I think.
lshap
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
Quote:
Come on now -- there's no choice really. TDAT will be all over screens for a while, and eventually all over cable -- but how often will you get to see a Jarmusch on the big screen?

Mel,

If I was on a date with myself this would be no issue at all. Dinner would also be cheaper.

The problem of choosing a film grows in direct proportion to the amount of people making the decision. I'm imagining myself right now saying the words to my friends, "How often will you get to see a Jarmusch on the big screen?" and watching their eyes glaze over in a complete, utter, absolute and all-encompassing disinterest.

Yeah, I know, I got on your ass once for belittling the masses' intelligence and here I am doing the same kind of generalizing. Except I know these people. The smart money's on The Day After Tomorrow. The smart decison is nowhere to be found.

I need some new friends.
Melody
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Lorne,

Ahhh. You have my deepest empathy.

I don't go to movies with my friends. Actually, that should read: Very few of my friends will tolerate going to the movies with me. The last time I got married, for instance, I timed the JP ceremony so that we in the wedding party could make it to the final matinee showing of Crash -- you know, that feel-good Cronenberg ditty about folks who get their kicks, sexually speaking, at car wrecks.

You Jungians will have a field day with this, I'm sure.

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Melody,
what's a JP ceremony?

Odd choice of film, but did you like Crash? Was it worth it?

I hated it and I saw it before I allowed myself to walk out of performances/film/whatever that I disliked (I'm free at last now, thank you) so I sat through the entire thing.
Melody
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:00 pm Reply with quote
JP = Justice of the Peace civil ceremony

As for Crash, yeah, I liked it a lot. Cronenberg always has something devilish up his sleeve and I'm a huge fan. Spader, too. It's (they're) just so weird and creepy and different. I can understand why most people hated it, however. You really gotta be in the mood for decadent.

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I usually love Cronenberg and Spader films (even the uber crappy ones) because they're so weird, but Crash was beyond even my capacity.

Thanks on JP clarification. So wait, did you go see that right after the ceremony or before? And did you bring your newly minted spouse?
Melody
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Haiku,

Crash was directly following the ceremony. Hubby & friends went along because I basically forced them to and because we weren't going to have our celebration dinner until after the movie. They've never really forgiven me for that day, I don't think.

And, uh, the hubby thang didn't really work out, so I can either blame Cronenberg or the Thai food.

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Trish wrote:
sorry that should read global warming (not warning)

I don't know why, but this post cracked me the fuck right up! Laughing
djmnyc
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 29 May 2004 Posts: 10 Location: New York/Costa Rica/Private Idaho
Cool Speaking of The Dreamers, it would be cool to reconvene, Ehle, MiLady, Sioux, and/or others... This weekend's already shot, but perhaps next? Lessee, who else is in the BA? Daffy, I think, and...
djmnyc
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 29 May 2004 Posts: 10 Location: New York/Costa Rica/Private Idaho
Oops. Still not navigating at full capacity. Thought it was the Lobby. Never mind, I'm sure you thorough-minded (read: obsessives) will see it here.
Haiku
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Melody,
blame Crony. I like your idea of a wedding reception. Good on you. I'd have forgiven you!!
Syd
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I'm not quite as enthusiatic about Shrek 2 as a lot of critics, but it's a pleasant way to while away 90 minutes and has several hilarious sendups of traditional fairy stories. I laughed loudest at a production number involving a fairy godmother, Fiona and furniture, but then there is a scene involving the Muffin Man (the Muffin Man? The Muffin Man!)'s cooking triumph that is a wonderful sight gag. Stay through the closing credits; the best moment in the movie is halfway through.

Not quite satiated, I went to see Mean Girls, which stars Lindsay Lohan, who I liked both in Freaky Friday (where I thought she outshone Jamie Lee Curtis), and here, although it's a less flamboyant part. Lohan's Cady Heron, a daughter of anthropologists, has grown up homeschooled in Africa, and now, at the age of 16, is suddenly thrust into high school with no experience in dealing with high school cliques except her observations of chimpanzees and baboons. First befriended by a pair of outgroupers (a very gay boy and the cutely named Janis Ian, who I presume is seventeen), she infiltrates the innermost group called the Plastics, which consist of the pretty and mean Regina George (Rachel McAdams), and her two acolytes, Gretchen (a good Lacey Chabert) and Karen (Amanda Seyfried in a cute dumb blonde turn). Although Gretchen and Karen are apparently also supposed to be mean girls, I rather liked them. Regina, however, is truly nasty, and in confronting her, Cady has to face the corruption of Plasticity herself.

Tina Fey, however, steals the show as math teacher Ms. Norbury, an odd blend of wisdom and nerdiness who would make the guidance counselor from Hell. (As it is, she is the Math Club sponsor from Hell.)

Ultimately, the movie is too good natured to get truly mean, and assembly resolving the school crisis would in real life cause more warfare than the crisis itself.

All in all, a pleasant high school clique comedy chiefly redeemed by five good female performances by the Plastics and Tina Fey.

ASIDE: At the start of each set of trailers they played Fanta commercials starring the Fantastics or Fantasy Girls or whatever they are calling them, which are the most obnoxious thing I've seen before a movie since the trailer for Thomas and the Magic Railroad. I had to leave during the second go-through.

They also ran a trailer for Garfield which looks like the most abominable piece of shit to hit the theatres is a long time. On the other hand, The Stepford Wives looks pretty good although not my cup of tea, and Shark's Tale has a promising premise.