Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  Alternate Universes

Syd
Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I'm getting it through Netflix, since I've kept up my disc subscription. Frakes may be better as a director than as an actor.

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:34 pm Reply with quote
My streaming services are Hulu (which I highly recommend) and Netflix. I suppose I also have Amazon Prime, though I don't use it much for streaming. I can also stream though the SyFy network, though I tend to watch it on TV.

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Have obtained season one of Picard. Watching as soon as the Earl Grey is done steeping.

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:02 pm Reply with quote
A worthy addition to the trekker universe. Fun to see Seven again, and comparing notes with JLP about what it's like having been a Borg and the struggle refinding one's humanity. Up to episode five, and no surprise to see that Picard could not stay in his vineyards when there's a world or universe or some bytes of his old friend Data in a cyber daughter in need of saving. The filling in of backstory - the Romulan diaspora, the synth uprising on Mars, JL's relationship with warrior nuns and their restless adopted boy - is pretty deftly done. Yes, Frakes may be better as a director.

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:48 pm Reply with quote
The back story gets progressively better and you get to see more TNG alums, though Seven of Nine looks like she may be a regular. It's always welcome to see her.

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Season 2 is mostly a time travel arc to dissolve a alternate future dystopia. Unfortunately, we have Q. Apparently season three discards the new characters we've grown into for a Star-Trek TNG reunion (or followup). I'd like a fourth season with the cast of seasons 1 and 2.

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:46 am Reply with quote
Duplicate

Last edited by Syd on Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:47 am Reply with quote
Moved from Couch With a VIew

Jenna Ortega is fine as a teenage Wednesday Addams in Wednesday, and I love her slightly werewolf roommate. Catherine -Zeta-Jones is an oddly bland failure as Morticia, which is unfortunate because Christina Ricci is in the cast and was the obvious choice. Gomez is faithful to the cartoons and is a disaster on screen. Fortunately Morticia and Gomez are background.

Gwendoline Christie is as the principal of Nevermore Academy. I was worried that she might disappear since roles for a six foot plus actress can be hard to come by, but she is perfect here and as Lucifer in Sandman.

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Wednesday: "I know I'm stubborn, single-minded and obsessive. But those are all traits of great writers."

Thing hand signals.

Wednesday: "Yes, and serial killers."

I think that the most difficult role that you can use to promote further roles is that of Victor Dorobantu, who plays a disembodied hand. (It's an Addams Family mystery.)

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:59 am Reply with quote
Got back to Picaard, up to third episode of season 2, and enjoying the alternate timeline theme. The brutal dystopia called to mind ST's first approach to the bad universe theme in the classic OS episode where the transporter malfunctions and the Kirks and away team get switched. Goateed alt-Spock steps in and shows integrity in both universes.

Good to see John DeLancie again, manipulations, mischievous twinkles and all. And the Borg Queen actress, Annie Wersching, absolutely owns it.

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:34 am Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
Moved from Couch With a VIew

Jenna Ortega is fine as a teenage Wednesday Addams in Wednesday, and I love her slightly werewolf roommate. Catherine -Zeta-Jones is an oddly bland failure as Morticia, which is unfortunate because Christina Ricci is in the cast and was the obvious choice. Gomez is faithful to the cartoons and is a disaster on screen. Fortunately Morticia and Gomez are background.

Gwendoline Christie is as the principal of Nevermore Academy. I was worried that she might disappear since roles for a six foot plus actress can be hard to come by, but she is perfect here and as Lucifer in Sandman.

I'm loving the writing, and mostly loving the casting (with the minuses you mention). I thought the shrink looked familiar, and then realized she is Riki Lindhome, of the duo Garfunkel and Oates, a comedy folk team known for its outrageously funny and so NSFW lyrics. (I assume Lindhome is "Garfunkel," being the much taller and paler one)

I am impressed with Jenna Ortega's knack for being both deadpan and somehow expressive of the teen turbulence (and glimmers of more tender emotion) beneath her Goth cool. (she was also notable in "You," also as a precocious teenager)

Viktor Dorobantu gets my vote as hands-down the most eloquent and funny version of Thing.

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:50 am Reply with quote
Had never seen The OA, a two season series from the late teens. I have to give credit for powerful narrative hooks in the first two eps, though the trope of near-death experience conferring unusual abilities has gotten heavy wear in the past few decades. The acting is pretty good, drawing critical raves for the series, and it's always great to see Jason Isaac playing one of his oddly magnetic and morally-complex villains.

My main question, so far, concerns Isaac's mad scientist - is it really necessary to abduct and imprison people in a plexiglass cottage in the cellar in order to study NDE's? Be much easier on your research budget to just pay them to come in and take tests and so on. All of his abductees appear to need money, so it seems like a no-brainer. Highly uncooperative subjects do not give reliable data, do they?