Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

bartist
Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:53 am Reply with quote
The RRR song was amazing. I have seen only that clip, however, as the movie didn't seem like my thing. Though it's very impressive when a man can throw a leopard at someone in a fight.

I haven't seen The Whale, nor was it in theaters here. Sounds interesting.

Generally I've lost confidence in the Oscars, as to choosing films and perfs on criteria of excellence. The sweep of EEAAO seemed to me like a huge mistake, and possibly tainted by making a gesture of affirmation to the Asian community. And $$$$$. Just as one example, the Best Supp to JL Curtis, over Kerry Condon, was utterly ridiculous.

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:02 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
BEWARE THE IDES OF MARCH

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:38 am Reply with quote
Too late!

Posted: Mon May 01, 2023 10:49 pm Reply with quote
RIP Gordon Lightfoot, damn it. One of the true greats both as a writer and a singer.

Posted: Mon May 15, 2023 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Beware the Ides of...

Oops, wrong month.

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:31 am Reply with quote
Trump has worked so hard at being indicted, it would be a shame to disappoint him. I thought the New York indictments were overreach, but these have actual teeth.

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:14 pm Reply with quote
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/07/30/hollywood-actors-strike-survival-jobs/

(if you get paywall blocked, here's a screenshot of the article:

https://archive.li/hQ97k

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Someone on "The Volokh Conspiracy" reviewed Around the World in Eighty Days and mentioned that his wife watches Cantinflas in Mexican films on a Spanish language channel. I mentioned the movie Cantinflas and expressed a desire to see some of those Mexican films. So I checked Netflix DVDs and, lo and behold, you're going to get a couple of reviews in "Couch With a View."

I'll miss their disk service once it expires at the end of September. Otherwise I might have to watch the Spanish Language channel and they probably won't have subtitles. Fortunately, Cantinflas did a lot of pantomime.

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:06 pm Reply with quote
If NF is to stream only, I hope they will load more of their stuff onto the site. As it stands, the menus are dismal and choices very limited. Seems dominated by European tv series.

Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:35 am Reply with quote
They go a lot from your past choices, so mine is dominated by east Asian films and series and not much European. Lots of anime (which I watch, which is why I get East Asian films.)(And the Netflix original series, of course) I used to get a lot of gay/lesbian films but Leigh's computer is out. Still get a list of documentaries. They have "Cave of Bones" about the South African Cave where they found a funerary chamber for Homo saliba, so I'll be getting more documentaries.

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:46 am Reply with quote
Hi, this is a new online forum, where members of both Third Eye Film and Escape from Elba are invited to join.

https://exelba.freeforums.net/

Some of the trolling issues at Elba will not be issues at Ex Elba, which should make it a more enjoyable alternative. My hope is that by inviting present and past members from both forums could get us to a critical mass of participation that might make for a better online community. I guess we'll see what happens.

Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:54 am Reply with quote
Up to eight members so far at the new site. I could use some more posting. (the site traffic is so slow, no banner ads have appeared yet, as they seem to be triggered by an activity algorithm)

I have emailed, via this forums email button on each member profile page, the more recent posters here who seem to have dropped out - Weeds, Gromit, Carrobin, Grace. Whiskeypriest joined when I posted the info at Escapefromelba.com. I invited Jeremy, too, though that email address is so old it may be long abandoned. I didn't email Syd because I know he still looks in the threads here. Not sure if the other emails are current, so if anyone reading knows anyone who might be interested in a fresh venue, please pass that URL along?

The site is pretty bare bones right now, so anyone can suggest new threads.

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:29 am Reply with quote
I'll be posting reviews on both sites while there are people checking on here.

If you haven't checked yet, there should be some people on Facebook Third Eye site to invite.

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:59 am Reply with quote
Well, I don't use Elba anymore. And rarely check in here.
I might sign up, but not likely to post or even check in.
I haven't watched a movie in quite a while since both my TV and DVD player died over a year ago.

Finally just got my first covid vacation. Barcelona and circling around the Pyrenees. Andorra, Lourdes!, San Sebastian and La Rioja wine region of Spain (where we ran into an entire drunken town courtesy of the Harvest Festival). Spain kind of booming in Euro-terms. Mainly due to tourism. They have lots of festivals and activities -- big bicycle race just before we arrived, medieval festival near Figueres (home to a large weird Dali Museum where he's buried), week long drunken harvest festival, NBA pre-season game after we left). Nice beaches on both coasts. A lot of Romanians, Bulgarians, etc looking for work. But Spain was a bit pricier than I expected.

Always good to visit a country when the economy is booming and folks are optimistic. I did that with Thailand circa 1997, Turkey ~2010, Azerbaijan 2020, Spain 2023 ... and China for the past few decades.

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Twas great to hear from you, Gromit. For reasons explained at the new website, it is going to be taken down on Wednesday. I will keep contributing here, and at Elba.

Your travel brief included "drunken" twice. Sounds like you're having fun.

Syd, I'm glad you were dual posting, so I presume your contributions at Exelba are also here and you won't lose anything.

I am enjoying a British series, an offbeat blend of time travel, multi-period drama and police procedural called "Bodies." It's major flaw is trying to do too much at once, which is a hazard when your action is taking places in 1890, 1941, 2023, and 2050-something.

Fans of the German hit "Dark" will find much to chew on there.