Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

bartist
Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Befade wrote:
I recommend Living with Bill Nighy.

I just realized that's the one adapted from one of my favorite Japanese films, Ikiru. So yes, thank you, I will take your recommendation. Only in theaters now so all depends on when it gets to Stixville.

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:32 am Reply with quote
I’ll watch Bill Nighy. In anything but I also saw Ikiru and was very impressed by it. And the Japanese screen writer is also notable. This version however takes place in London. Which is very appropriate.

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
The Amazing Maurice is a mostly faithful and well-done animated version of Terry Pratchett's The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents, his first official children's novel which is, of course, not just for children. You may have to be familiar with his works to realize this is a Discworld novel that mostly independent of the rest. It's also one of the best.

Maurice (pronounced in the French manner so you don't confuse him with that other cat) is a sentient talking cat who, together with the young flautist Keith and a troupe of sentient talking rats, are roaming from city to city perpetuating a Pied Piper scam. But finally they come to a town where there is a strong rat culture but no evident rats, and a surprising lack of food. There are also two sinister rat catchers and a cloaked figure with a big hat and hardly a head to put it on. And this is all narrated by the storyteller Malicia (Pratchett had a gift for names) who turns out to be the mayor's daughter. She's convinced that they're part of a story, and, this being Discworld, they are.

By the way, the talking rats got that way by rifling through the trash at Unseen University, which is the home of the wizards of Discworld. (How Maurice got to talk is a spoiler.) They named themselves after familiar labels on cans (they can read too), so we have rats named Sardines, Peaches, and Dangerous Beans, the last name giving me pause.

Maurice has an incredibly toothy grin, clearly intended to remind us of another famous cat from literature. He's voiced by Hugh Laurie. Malicia is Emilia Clarke of Games of Thrones fame.

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:03 am Reply with quote
Trying to catch all the Oscar nominies. I saw the biggest nominee and the biggest bomb today. First, there’s a problem with the films coming out in theaters today. THEY ARE TOO LONG‼️ I’m perfectly content to watch a film from the forties. Their plot elements are simple, relatable and succinct. One and a half hours expresses the theme very well. I enjoyed 1/2 hour of Everything Everywhere. But talk about overcooked. A message film hammering away for almost 3 hours. The first half of the film felt like a reflections of life as a cartoon. The second half tried to tie it up with rocks talking. OK. Life is hard. People disagree. Just be kind and focus on what’s good.

The Banshees movie was out and out depressing. This was the second Irish film I’ve seen recently. I have a strong impression of solitude being a characteristic of life there. One way to cope with depression is to socialize. When 2 lifelong friends spend daily time together. And one of them quits the relationship the result is going to be depression if there aren’t any replacement people around. The way these 2 dealt with this was just plainly brutal.

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:07 am Reply with quote
Sounds like you need to see the movie with rats.

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Ratatouille?

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:18 pm Reply with quote
The Amazing Maurice (not pronounced Morris!)

I gave some warning about Banshees, but I still think it was a fine movie even if dark. I can give it two thumbs up....because unlike Brendan Gleeson I still have two.

The involvement of Terry Pratchett, MHRIP, and Hugh Laurie is sufficient to get me to TAM.

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Life imitates art, as train derailment in town where White Noise was filmed, proves eerily similar to the one in the movie.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/11/health/ohio-train-derailment-white-noise/index.html

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:58 pm Reply with quote
https://youtu.be/OsU0CGZoV8E

RRR!

Posted: Sun May 21, 2023 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I mostly liked Guardians of the Galaxy 3 while noting this is apparently the end for Dax and Gamora. (The actor playing Dax is done with endless makeup sessions, and I bet Zoe Saldana is too. She has to do this for both Guardians and Avatar, after all.) The theatre's projector bulb burnt out with a couple of minutes to go, but if we want more Guardians movie, we go with the Next Generation (which I hope includes Mantis and Nebula). This installment is extremely action-packed, and shows why the Guardians of the Galaxy deserve that title.

Posted: Tue May 23, 2023 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I also think the High Evolutionary (the chief villain) is what you get if you allow Sid from Toy Story to grow up without Woody intervening.

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse is a lot more frantic than the first one (which I thought was too frantic) and a lot longer, so it figures that I liked it better, with a lot more Spider-People than you'd ever want to see as well as Spider-other things. Gwen Stacy (Spider-Woman) steals the movie again and she and Miles Morales (the lead Spider-Man in his universe are very good together. The movie even shows how they could wind up together. The villain has portals in his body that he can use to teleport himself and other things, and can actually use them on surfaces to transport himself; a running theme is that if something goes through (like a fist) it will appear somewhere else. This is a lot of fun and made me laugh sometimes, including when he introduces himself as Spot.

There are cross-references to just about every incarnation of Spider-Man (and Woman) in movies, TV and comics. There will be a third movie, of course, as well as a Spider-Woman movie.

Last edited by Syd on Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:08 pm Reply with quote
To Leslie is an acting showcase for Andrea Riseborough, playing an alcoholic Texas woman who abandons a child and blows her entire lottery win. (as well as any man who will look her direction) Also a notable supporting performance from Marc Maron, mostly known as a comedian and podcaster/interviewer, who plays a motel manager who tries to give her a break and help her get her shit together. Many themes which would be trite and dull in lesser hands, are rendered with depth and beauty here.

Also, not technically a movie, but its length and standalone plot should qualify it as one, is Beyond the Sea, one of the episodes of Black Mirror's new sixth season. It is brilliant, with fine performances from Aaron Paul, Kate Mara, and Josh Hartnett, and I would nominate it for any Best Sci-Fi Drama of the Year list. The other two episodes I had seen had me worried the whole season would be nothing but Black Mirror Lite, but Beyond the Sea definitely brought it back to its full darkness and depth.

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:17 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
To Leslie is an acting showcase for Andrea Riseborough, playing an alcoholic Texas woman who abandons a child and blows her entire lottery win. (as well as any man who will look her direction) Also a notable supporting performance from Marc Maron, mostly known as a comedian and podcaster/interviewer, who plays a motel manager who tries to give her a break and help her get her shit together. Many themes which would be trite and dull in lesser hands, are rendered with depth and beauty here.

Also, not technically a movie, but its length and standalone plot should qualify it as one, is Beyond the Sea, one of the episodes of Black Mirror's new sixth season. It is brilliant, with fine performances from Aaron Paul, Kate Mara, and Josh Hartnett, and I would nominate it for any Best Sci-Fi Drama of the Year list. The other two episodes I had seen had me worried the whole season would be nothing but Black Mirror Lite, but Beyond the Sea definitely brought it back to its full darkness and depth.

For a moment there' I was wondering why you were reviewing a Bobby Darin biopic.

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I've been hearing nothing but raves for Andrea Riseborough. Including by Billyweeds, who has been successfully fighting alcoholism for decades now (I think four) and identified with her struggle.