Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

Syd
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I'm seventy years old. I always expected Marjorie to survive me.

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I liked her style and persona here - and that she was more genuinely involved in film than most of us film buffs, helping her documentary filmmaker sister on a couple of projects. One of which has recently gotten more timely following the supreme court Dodd v Jackson ruling and Clarence Thomas's implied threat to the Loving v Virginia decision among others -- IIRC Marj helped with research on the docu about the Lovings and their aftermath as interracial couple. (that film won a Peabody and an Emmy, among others)

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:57 pm Reply with quote
RIP Nichelle Nichols, aka Lt. Uhura on Star Trek. Fandom is devastated.

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
RIP Nichelle Nichols, aka Lt. Uhura on Star Trek. Fandom is devastated.

As is the National Space Society. She was one of our directors and an inspiration to countless women (and men too).

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:23 am Reply with quote
Shaun the Sheep is going on the Artemis 1 Moon flight. Gromit should protest. On the other hand, he and Wallace have already been.

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:39 pm Reply with quote
So after 3 months of lockdown, followed by 2 months of heatwave, things have basically finally returned to normal in Shanghai. The weather is still hot and humid, but 86F with 75% humidity is bearable, especially compared to the 102 or 104 & 65% humidity we were enduring. Really brutal weather in July/Aug.
It's been so hot that, post-lockdown, only about 60% have been wearing facemasks. Common to see folks with their masks on their chin or twisted around their arm on the street. I probably had two months of bad sleep and the stress. Been a rough year.

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to hear. IIRC, part of your mental health regimen is basketball outdoors so this summer of lockdown and withering heat cannot have been fun. Did you have a window unit you could push the bed up close to? Hearing a lot in news reports about the dangers of places where overnight lows (and lack of AC) stay up in the eighties and people can't get their core temps down to trigger melatonin release and restful sleep. We had an unusual hot summer here, but this is the hills of South Dakota so any complaint would be absurd where humidity is low and it's usually in the sixties overnight even on a hundred degree day.

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I get satellite photographs from the ESA of rivers drying up that haven't done it for thousands of years. (The Loire? The Po? Rivers in East Asia, and, yes, the United States.) We've fucked things up royally.

EDIT: The water seems to be going to Pakistan

Last edited by Syd on Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I was typing a lengthy response, hit a wrong key and had to start all over.

So, yes I have a/c. But suddenly you're free after 3 months, and you don't want to be outside, since it feels like an oven. One night I went out to feed the cats past midnight and it was 90F with 70% humidity.

Yes I missed basketball. And when I resumed playing in mid-July, my back went wonky within 2 weeks. Bilateral peripheral neuropathy -- ongoing numbness in my hands, fingertips and feet (slightly). And then sciatica this week, extremely painful to start, though that usually clears up in 5+ days.

Lotta foreigners clearing out of Shanghai. And I'm having exit thoughts as well. Though maybe just Winter in Florida for a year or two and then decide. Get a Florida drivers license, a high-level vaccination, warmish winters, bring a cat back to the US, etc. But the US likely to stupid and annoying to live in. I'd prefer SW Euroland -- Croatia, Montenegro, Romania. 2nd tier: Bulgaria, Lithuania, Macedonia. I'd like to live in a small country for a change. and be close to interesting places.

I havent had a vacation in 2.5 years ...

Last edited by gromit on Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I’m in Palm Springs now. Temp is 114. AC all the time. Getting new ceiling fans. Air conditioner from 1983 still working. Not efficiently. Electric bill was $800 last month. Must keep thermostat at 78 or above. I deal with this by swimming laps 3 times a week. Once in the water you don’t feel the heat.

As to getting older…..what else is there? My motto: Do Not Fall

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:02 pm Reply with quote
If I lived in Palm Springs and had an $800 AC bill my motto would be "move."

Smile

Gromit, i had some minor spine woes until I took up two exercises, one was The Plank position (common to both yoga and Pilates), the other was just hanging from a bar for as long as the shoulders can take it with legs a-dangle. Almost ridiculous how well that combo works. As for Florida, it's hard to imagine that state as a desirable destination for any returning expatriate. Really depends on those intangible hard-to-define things that a person wants from a place.

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:23 am Reply with quote
We're back to highs around 90, which is pretty good compared with the summer temps. Had a couple of months when it was in the high nineties and low hundreds, and one memorable day when it hit 110 F, which tied a record for Oklahoma. That was dry, but now it's more humid.

I wonder how Ghulam's doing. The flooding also hit India, Bangladesh and Afghanistan. Pakistan and Afghanistan got hit the worst.

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Ghulam has been even more quiet than usual, of late. IIRC, he lives somewhere in NY State or that general part of the country.

Smokes blows through her pretty often these days. The sun comes up blood red. After a record-tieing high of 98 a couple days back, a front came in, drenched the parched land, and today the high is 60.
Whiplash is a normal reaction to weather here.

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Godard arrives a bout de souffle.. May he RIP.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/sep/13/jean-luc-godard-chose-to-end-life-through-assisted-dying-lawyer-confirms

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Life imitates fiction. Today's headline "Ian Now Contains Sharks."