Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

carrobin
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:32 am Reply with quote
Among TCM's holiday choices, I managed to catch the last part of "A Carol for Another Christmas," and I wish they had showed it again. I'm old enough to remember when it was shown originally, in the 60s, but of course I didn't remember much--and I caught only the "Christmas future" segment. The scene that really struck me was the arrival of the crowd's hero, Peter Sellers as a wild and crazy demagogue wearing a cowboy hat. He made a speech about the "Me's" (his audience) versus the "I's" (the opposition) that could have been an outline for Trump. I missed the ghosts of Christmas past and present, but found scenes from each on the TCM website. I hope they show it again--especially if Trump is still teasing another campaign.
bartist
Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Your Honor, the first season, is an absorbing drama, with a failing moral compass that shares some features (as well as its lead role) with Breaking Bad. A notable performance from Michael Stulbarg who plays a very serious man and New Orleans crime boss, whose younger son is killed in a hit and run accident. A district court judge (Bryan Cranston) carefully buries the truth and chaos and carnage ensue. Derivative in places, but it holds the attention in a firm grip.

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, bart, couldn't disagree more. "Your Honor" was IMO one of the worst miniseries in memory, with the only bad performance ever delivered by Bryan Cranston. Not really his fault, since the only way to play this ridiculous part was to overact shamelessly, which he did. Stuhlbarg, meanwhile, didn't do himself any favors either. But they both looked award-worthy next to the horrific performance by the actor playing the son, whose name I have conveniently forgotten. Ugh. Again, sorry. I know we usually agree.
bartist
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Russian Doll is terrific. Like a dark and witty take on the theme of Groundhog Day which leaves no human pretense or foible unskewered. Laced with literary and psychological references that will slip past you if you're not paying attention. Natasha Lyonne is dark, damaged, astutely observant, and weirdly sexy.

If anyone figures out what that....thing on the bathroom door is, please let me know. Thank you.

Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:07 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Sorry, bart, couldn't disagree more. "Your Honor" was IMO one of the worst miniseries in memory, with the only bad performance ever delivered by Bryan Cranston. Not really his fault, since the only way to play this ridiculous part was to overact shamelessly, which he did. Stuhlbarg, meanwhile, didn't do himself any favors either. But they both looked award-worthy next to the horrific performance by the actor playing the son, whose name I have conveniently forgotten. Ugh. Again, sorry. I know we usually agree.

Quite alright. When I watched the next two episodes, I somewhat recanted on my favorable review above, and felt considerable disappointment. I shouldn't review until I've completed a season.

Posted: Thu May 05, 2022 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I really wish Grey's Anatomy could convince Kate Walsh to be a regular on the show. It really needs a grown-up.

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:45 am Reply with quote
The Netflix series, The Lincoln Lawyer, the first season an adaptation of Michael Connelly novel The Brass Verdict is watchable, with some good casting, but fans of the Micky Haller books (which start with The Lincoln Lawyer, and The Brass Verdict is the second in the series) may be disappointed that, because Amazon owns rights to the Harry Bosch character, Bosch is absent. Bosch plays a prominent role in the book, helping Mickey with a high profile homicide case, and turning out to be Mickey's half-brother. Somehow, that omission and other alterations (the movie mogul is now a game software CEO, Patrick Henson the driver is now a black woman) don't clash too much with the essence of the original story and I could enjoy the fresh take.

But really, Connelly is so page turningly readable that you could just as well go back to the book and make a nice movie in your head.

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm watching My Life Is Murder, with Lucy Lawless as a retired detective who has gone on to a life baking bread, except she keeps getting called into cases by a detective who knows how to push her buttons. Three major characters: Lucy's Alexa, Ebony Vagulans as Madison, her young accomplice/apprentice, and Bernard Curry as Kieran Hussey, the detective for whom Alexa consults. That's enough; it's a fine series and the three leads are great. And very attractive to the appropriate viewers. I have a feeling these actors and the guests are much better known in Australia. The series is set in Melbourne, which looks beautiful.

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Elijah and Monica on "The Rookie" are having a movie night. He just showed her the wood chipper.