Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

Syd
Posted: Thu May 12, 2022 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Early musicals were weird, partly because they had no idea how to do a movie musical. "The Broadway Melody" is one of the weakest Academy Award winners for Best Picture, but it may well have been the best sound film of the year. (I've seen several others from that year and, yes, it's better.) They should probably have given it to Chaplin's "The Circus." But its musical numbers are oddly staged as they are in several films of the time, like"Madam Satan," "Let's Go Native," and "Just Imagine." We covered several of these in the Pre-Code forum.

If you want a great example, see what you can of "Gold Diggers of Broadway" from 1929. It's partially lost, but what we have is odd and psychedelic. Particularly the film debut of "Tiptoe Through the Tulips," which was so weird that Tiny Tim covered it.

Posted: Thu May 26, 2022 11:53 am Reply with quote
https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/movies/ray-liotta-goodfellas-star-gifted-character-actor-dies-67-rcna30690

Damn.

[/i]

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:52 am Reply with quote
He looked unwell in recent pics. Then there's Steve Bannon, who has looked unwell for a decade, but won't do us a favor and shuffle off the mortal coil.

AO Scott asks if Hollywood is really pushing Liberalism...

https://archive.ph/lL2vE

(Accessible screenshot of NY Times page)
gromit
Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:59 am Reply with quote
Speaking of ill health and wishing ill will -- Putin has continued to look crappy -- pale, grey, bloated. Rumors of undergoing cancer treatment make it real hard to fathom why he decided it was a good time to start a war (which Russia was clearly unprepared for). Hopefully Putin becomes incapacitated and pushed aside.

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:21 pm Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
Speaking of ill health and wishing ill will -- Putin has continued to look crappy -- pale, grey, bloated. Rumors of undergoing cancer treatment make it real hard to fathom why he decided it was a good time to start a war (which Russia was clearly unprepared for). Hopefully Putin becomes incapacitated and pushed aside.

Perhaps the treatments are affecting his judgment.

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:33 am Reply with quote
https://www.politico.eu/article/backpain-cancer-and-covid-vladimir-putin-top-health-scares-throughout-the-years/

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:00 pm Reply with quote
This is like having a conversation with the Oort Cloud. The light delay is too long.

Sorry, guys.

Still unclear why we can't chat over at the Elba thread, where there is sufficient site traffic to make the topical threads viable, and where we can always use more sane people. And Josh has taken to giving "time outs" to the trolls.

Thanks for all the helpful film picks and reviews.

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm losing my hearing, which has gotten a lot worse after Covid. I found "Everything , Everywhere All at Once" to be incomprehensible. (Although I don't see how the people with the rubbery fingers can be justified at all) I also have a problem when you have to subscribe to a streaming service to understand a film, so I haven't seen any of the Marvel Multiverse films. (I may succumb finally to "She-Hulk", which should rightfully be hilarious.)

I know you can get closed captioning at movie theatres, but I'm proud and also don't like to wear glasses over my glasses.

I think we need to realize that we're getting old.

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:55 am Reply with quote
bartist wrote:

Still unclear why we can't chat over at the Elba thread, where there is sufficient site traffic to make the topical threads viable, and where we can always use more sane people. And Josh has taken to giving "time outs" to the trolls.

Generally it's a dysfunctional disaster over there. Way too many trolls and trolling. A few persistent jerks. Even an intelligent fellow such as facilatorn just functions as an insult troll. I wouldn't encourage people to go there. I bailed on the knicks/basketball forums there. And they were only half as awful as the politics threads. And I'm sure the trolls would see Film activity and crawl over.

Otherwise, I'm still locked down. Three downtown city blocks still can't get a clean bill of health. We were scheduled to be free this Friday, but a pair of positive cases reset our 14 quarantine. Stressful.

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:52 am Reply with quote
Wasnt someone at Elba a huge OC & Stiggs fan?
Here's a big writeup about the making of the film and such.
https://ocandstiggs.tumblr.com/

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:23 am Reply with quote
Couldn't go back to sleep at 5:00 so I went out planet gazing, and located Venus, Jupiter and Saturn right away (though I thought Saturn might be Mars), checked Starry Night and found Mars right next to the Moon. I should have been able to see Mercury since there was an opening in the trees where it should be.

By the way, Saturn is just east of due south at that hour, and if you look due south of Saturn, you'll see the bright star Fomalhaut. I mention that because there are no other bright stars anywhere near it and it looks like it could use a friend.

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:32 am Reply with quote
Shanghai is generally a rainy overcast place. Plus light pollution. I joke that we have 3 stars here. Last week the supermoon was pretty cool, large and orange. The Chinese have a moon festival in September when everyone marvels at the large full moon (what we call the Harvest Moon), and eat moon cakes and there are performances related to the girl and rabbit on the moon folklore, etc. What's amusing is that the rest of the year, no one in SH is at all interested in the moon. Supermoon? any other large or colored moon? full moon real low at the end of the street? Most folks won't bother a glance. But during that moon festival, suddenly the moon is a marvel.

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:13 am Reply with quote
I hope they wake up when you have a lunar eclipse. Someone has to drive away the Moon Dragon.

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Hello, all.

I apologize for re-entering this forum after a long absence with such awful news: The twin sister of Marjorie Cohen (aka Marj) announced on Facebook that Marjorie has died. She did not list a cause of death in her announcement.

My deep condolences to all who were close to her. She was a lovely, positive person. R.I.P. Marj

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:20 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the info, Earl.
Sorry to hear that.

Everybody seems to be aging.
Hope you're doing well.