Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

bartist
Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Windfall, another offering from the Netflix mediocrity spigot, is a Pinteresque limited-setting drama of hostages which starts out promising some dark comedy and class critique but then seems unable to reveal much about its three characters. This ultimate opaqueness means the ending comes as cartoonishly crude and senseless.

Interesting misfire, mostly due to Jason Segel being well cast as the bumbling burglar.

Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:36 pm Reply with quote
The Worst Person in the World blew me over. Totally over. I was expecting something much different. The title? Why? How about Time for a Change. Not only was the young woman beautiful and watchable but her fickleness was not the whole story. Left me in tears. Moveable. [/code]

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Went to see Everything, Everywhere, at One Time, knowing nothing about it except it has Michelle Yeoh, and found out it had an 8.9 rating on IMDb, which is amazing because it is the worst film I have seen in a long time. I get that the film is trying to present the multiverse, but I felt it did it in a particularly inept manner to the point I felt embarrassed for everyone concerned. It's a disconnect like the inept "Uncle Boonmee who can Recall His Past Lives," which won an award at Cannes and is one of the worst films I've ever seen.

EDIT: Since this is the first 2022 film I've seen, it's simultaneously the best and worst film I've seen for the year. I'll try to see "The Secrets of Dumbledore" tomorrow, or (more probably) the mysterious anime film I know nothing about.

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I would normally concede my antipathy was due to hearing loss, except half the film is subtitled (it's randomly in English and Mandarin) and is just as awful.

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:23 am Reply with quote
I saw so many glowing reviews, but my alarms were triggered by the sheer density of Chinese-American stereotypes. She runs a laundry. She was a kung fu master in other universes. Clunk.

Multiverses seem to be in atm. Netflix just released a Catalan series with a very similar theme of a husband who has endured a tragedy and then a scientist shows him the way to jump to other parallel universes, where he hopes to avert the tragedy.

If I Hadn't Met You is the series.

Clearly, screenwriters do not worry about laws of thermodynamics or other physics principles when they go to develop these existential themes.[/b][/i]

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Uncle Boonmee -- started off as a yawn and then became stupid. Seemed like such an obvious poor film to me.

Will see Everything, Everywhere. Could be good or a disaster. Mostly I've heard a lot of praise for both the script and execution.

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Some trepidation when the sigboth announced that she wanted to see EEAAO, but I found it more enjoyable than I gather Syd did. It isn't really like anything I've seen before and I found myself accepting the multiverse more as metaphor carried in a vessel of magical realism than real science fiction. The part with the daughter was fairly heartfelt, though stripped of all the CGI mindbendings and bagel wormhole it might seem trite. I would second the opinion that the whiplash language switching and general lack of enunciation was kind of annoying in places. The comedic concepts, of the more surreal type - rocks talking to each other, people with hotdogs for fingers, anal plugs that confer martial prowess - seemed to be insufficiently edited and drawn out to excessive lengths in a film that's already overlong. Sometimes felt a roomful of writers were trying to one-up each other on sheer weirdness. The more quotidian humor, like Jamie Lee Curtis as a sourpuss IRS employee, worked better. And I will say Ms Yeoh held the emotional center of all this interdimensional turbulence pretty well. Too bad she couldn't have been allowed to work in a film less overstuffed with sound and fury.

Sorta makes me want to see Crouching Tiger HD again, to remember what artistic restraint and a clearer vision looks like where martial arts and magical realism intersect.

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:25 am Reply with quote
Did not see Persuasion. One of the most annoying movies I haven't seen this year. So glad I took a couple hours to not see it.
Syd
Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Oops, that wasn't current.

I bought hearing aids for my birthday and will try them out at a movie today. I tried them out while shopping yesterday and noticed oddly things like how crackly the plastic shopping bags are. Apparently they crackle in the exact range that gets amplified the most. I was flashing back to the sound effects in "Sound of Metal."

The test movie is "Three Thousand Years of Longing" which I know next to nothing about except the stars (Tilda Swinton and Idris Elba), director (George Miller) and that it's a dark fantasy. Also checked out Rotten Tomatoes to make sure it wasn't rated at 10%.

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Turns out Tilda is a folklore scholar and popular lecture, and Idris Elba is the genie she accidentally releases, who has to give her three heartfelt wishes. In the process, he tells her stories of his past because djinn live in and for stories. Not bad at all, and not all that dark. Went on longer than the story justified but often a joy to look at.

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Might check it out. Tilda is brilliantly eclectic in her roles. Happy belated birthday to you and your amplified ambience.

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:05 pm Reply with quote
There was a preview for Wakanda Forever and one for a film about Amazon warriors in Dahomey (I think) that looked amazingly like "Wakanda Forever" despite taking place a couple of centuries earlier.

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Want a teaser? His cousin and lover three thousand years ago was the Queen of Sheba. (How a cousin is a djinn, I didn't catch.) Odd costuming for the Queen. Guess who his nemesis is?

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Do not see the latest Diane Keaton movie. It’s repulsive. The theme of a 30 year old being transformed into a 70 year old could have been thought provoking. But the dialogue consists of Yikes, Yikes, and more Yikes…………

Bodies, Bodies, Bodies is worth a watch if only for the presence of the Russian actress who was in the Borat movie arousing Rudy Guilliani.

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:40 pm Reply with quote
I sort of liked Wakanda Forever, but Sub-Mariner (Namor) just didn't have much presence compared with Jason Momoa in Aquaman. Momoa is a sea-god, Namor can't compare. Overcomplicated (it's almost three hours), pretty to look at and pretty silly. Fighting with spears--even vibranium enhanced spears, really? I feared from the previews that Letitia Wright may have shaved her hair, but no worry, she is still Shuri with a fringe on top.