Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

inlareviewer
Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:10 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
Of those listed (nice to have the inla drop by), I've like West Side Story the best (but am halfway through Power of the Dog, and not sure where that will land). So much better than the original movie version, with knockout performances. Want to see tick tick boom but it hasn't passed through stixville. So might settle for small-screening it on Netflix. Also seeing Don't Look Up in near future, which I predict will be misunderstood by the many who don't get Adam McKay's brand of satire.
I saw "tick, tick...BOOM!" on Netflix, and it worked for me. Didn't HATE "Don't Look Up," just thought it too long and a bit ham-fisted in its desire to satirize pretty much everything in modern society, not just climate change. It made me laugh, but am not sure it earned its earnest ending (did enjoy the two end credits wrapups). As for WSS, it absolutely slew me, twice, and went into it unsure it even needed to be remade, but I was happily wrong.

Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Hi Inla…..I’ve missed your annual Oscar picks. I haven’t seen enough of them to rate them. But here’s what I have seen:

Nightmare Alley…so many good actors in this. I watched the original with Tyrone Power and was impressed by the collision between the mentalist and the psychiatrist with the carny background. A unique noir. I even got the novel it was based on from the library but haven’t read it yet. Anyway, Guillermo del Toro took over. Everything dazzling. Plenty of bad weather and too much of everything: 2 hours and 20 minutes of darkness. What? A beautiful downer of a movie. The original was more concise and even more hopeful.

The Power of the Dog….amazingly well done. Intense. Suspenseful. Surprising. Not light entertainment. Benedict C. will definitely take the Oscar unless Denzel does.

House of Gucci…..kind of odd. I did think Lady Gaga has some chops that should be rewarded.

Spencer….Focus is on Kristen Stewart. Magnifying what Diana must have gone through emotionally. For some reason I felt a disconnect between the two. Maybe because Kristen Stewart is known for strength not tragedy.

Passing…I love black and white. This film conveyed a romantic era in Harlem. Although the subject of the film was anything but. I thought Irene was realistically portrayed. Clare more other worldly.

It’s so hard to keep up this time of year.. Next on my list: MacBeth and The Lost Daughter.

Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Befade wrote:
Hi Inla…..I’ve missed your annual Oscar picks. I haven’t seen enough of them to rate them. But here’s what I have seen:

Nightmare Alley…so many good actors in this. I watched the original with Tyrone Power and was impressed by the collision between the mentalist and the psychiatrist with the carny background. A unique noir. I even got the novel it was based on from the library but haven’t read it yet. Anyway, Guillermo del Toro took over. Everything dazzling. Plenty of bad weather and too much of everything: 2 hours and 20 minutes of darkness. What? A beautiful downer of a movie. The original was more concise and even more hopeful.

The Power of the Dog….amazingly well done. Intense. Suspenseful. Surprising. Not light entertainment. Benedict C. will definitely take the Oscar unless Denzel does.

House of Gucci…..kind of odd. I did think Lady Gaga has some chops that should be rewarded.

Spencer….Focus is on Kristen Stewart. Magnifying what Diana must have gone through emotionally. For some reason I felt a disconnect between the two. Maybe because Kristen Stewart is known for strength not tragedy.

Passing…I love black and white. This film conveyed a romantic era in Harlem. Although the subject of the film was anything but. I thought Irene was realistically portrayed. Clare more other worldly.

It’s so hard to keep up this time of year.. Next on my list: MacBeth and The Lost Daughter.
Hi, befade. It's been a year. Know what you mean about "Spencer," except that disconnect, to me, was kind of the point -- Diana is near splitting from herself, and I did appreciate how Ms. Stewart prismatically encompassed so many contradictions.. Am aware how divisive it has been -- several colleagues think me mad for digging it so -- but it still gripped me, both as film and as performance.,

Know exactly what you mean about "Passing." It's a delicate tone poem of a film.

"Power of The Dog" I had to see twice to figure out how it got to that ending once, and then I was blown away by Ms. Campion's absolute control of the medium, and yes, Mr. Cumberbatch is the one to beat, although Will Smith and "King Richard" are being pushed really hard, and then, there's Mr. Garfied in "tick, tick." And Denzel. Always Denzel.

Will prolly see "Gucci" this weekend. Am afraid I will be putting off "Nightmare Alley," mainly because the original film is so fixed in my brainpan, and 2 1/2 hours is rather more than that material really needs. Am sure it's amazing to look upon, but I can only take so much dark of late.

As you said, there's just too much this time of year. Will be streaming "Lost Daughter" and "Tragedy of Macbeth" when they drop.

And have seen "Mass" 3 times now on the SAG screener a friend forwarded. Either I'm a masochist and/or it's as good as I think it is, but , wow, what a devastating, possibly important film and all four of them are utterly beyond praise. They really should have an ensemble award at that, uh, film society. Just saying.

Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Inadvertent duplicate post deleted.

Last edited by inlareviewer on Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:44 pm Reply with quote
inlareviewer wrote:

"Power of The Dog" I had to see twice to figure out how it got to that ending once, and then I was blown away by Ms. Campion's absolute control of the medium, and yes, Mr. Cumberbatch is the one to beat, although Will Smith and "King Richard" are being pushed really hard, and then, there's Mr. Garfied in "tick, tick." And Denzel. Always Denzel...

Had the same experience on first viewing of PotD. Making more sense of the boy's intentions, with protecting his mother pitted against some ambiguous affection for the step-uncle, and then his knowledge of germ warfare via rawhide strips, may call for a second viewing. Campion really believes in the ancient film school dictum of "show, don't tell." And brings that out in all her cast. As Befade says, amazingly well done. That movie is going to haunt me for a while.

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:27 am Reply with quote
I watched the beginning of The Power of the Dog again to understand the ending. Now I’m not sure I got the ending of Passing so I’ll watch the ending again.

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:31 am Reply with quote
I saw Mass once and was struck by how unusual and relevant for these times of school shootings. Is it an example of what’s known as resolution?

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:44 am Reply with quote
bartist wrote:

Had the same experience on first viewing of PotD. Making more sense of the boy's intentions, with protecting his mother pitted against some ambiguous affection for the step-uncle, and then his knowledge of germ warfare via rawhide strips, may call for a second viewing. Campion really believes in the ancient film school dictum of "show, don't tell." And brings that out in all her cast. As Befade says, amazingly well done. That movie is going to haunt me for a while.

Exactly.

Befade wrote:
I watched the beginning of The Power of the Dog again to understand the ending. Now I’m not sure I got the ending of Passing so I’ll watch the ending again.
It is very ambiguous, deliberately so, because it's trying in cinematic terms to mirror Nella Larson's writing, which is equally ambiguous and "Did she? Did he? Was it? Huh?," which seemed to me a very brave choice on Rebecca Hall's part.

Befade wrote:
I saw Mass once and was struck by how unusual and relevant for these times of school shootings. Is it an example of what’s known as resolution?

One can only hope so. To me it was as powerful an examination of the painful, tortuous path through grief to possible healing as any I've seen in a very long while.

It suddenly occurred that my list of films was largely in order of being seen, not a ranking per se. If I was to go THAT way, then it would be closer to

1. "Summer of Soul"
2. "West Side Story,"
3. "Belfast"
4. "The Power of The Dog"
5. "Mass"
6. "Passing"
7. "Spencer"
8. "The French Dispatch"
9. "Pig"
10. "tick, tick...BOOM!"
11. "CODA"

And that of course is subject to change yet again. It's always like this. Ah, awards season.

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12894 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
The only one of those I've seen is "West Side Story," but I think I'll love "Summer of Soul."

EDIT: And "Hulu" has it!

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
The only one of those I've seen is "West Side Story," but I think I'll love "Summer of Soul."

EDIT: And "Hulu" has it!

Syd, it does, indeed. Cannot recommend highly enough. Has been #1 since we saw this summer, and nothing has yet dislodged it. As Anthony Lane noted, Woodstock got all the history, and, as usual, history got it wrong. Just saying.

Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:04 am Reply with quote
Well, it's changed again.

1. "Summer of Soul"
2. "West Side Story"
3. "Drive My Car"
4. "Belfast"
5. "The Power of The Dog"
6. "Mass"
7. "Passing"
8. "Spencer"
9. "The French Dispatch"
10. "Pig"
11. "tick, tick...BOOM!"
12. "CODA"

And if we know our Pedro and La Belle Penelope, "Parallel Mothers" will likely make a dent in it as well, as will, based on the trailer, "Flee," and am fairly sure both "Attica" and "Procession" are major docus. (Just a hunch).

Meanwhile, from where we sit, "Drive My Car" is a masterwork: enigmatic, elegiac, Chekhovian (often quite deliberately) and mesmeric. Now we finally see what the two coasts' Critics Circles were talking about. Life informs art informs life. Not to be missed.

And Happy New Year, one and all, Third Eyesters. See you in 2020. inla out.

Last edited by inlareviewer on Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Inla…..thanks for your insight about Passing. I watched the ending 5 more times. I think your understanding made sense. SPOILER: I think Clare jumped to get away from everybody. No one pushed her.

Happy New Year to all🥳🎉🆕

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:30 pm Reply with quote
SPOILER for "Passing"

I really couldn't tell which scenario applied at the end of Passing. Irene clearly had some motive, given all the flirting by Clare with her husband, and Clare's statement that she would move back to the hood if John found out her secret. My main problem with the film was the writing and the awkward delivery of some lines. Also, I couldn't really see Tessa Thompson (Irene) as passing in any social context, so the early scene where John seems to see her as white confused me. Nor could imagine the doctor, Irene's husband, making lynching a regular dinner table topic with children so young. I have no doubt there's an age to have "The Talk" but I don't think it starts with vivid descriptions of hanging people from trees. I've had several friends describe The Talk to me, and it did not go down quite like that. But perhaps the 1920s were different and my sense of that historical period is off. That may be one where the book would have clarified matters better to a reader.

EtA: Happy 2022. Really hope voter suppression legislation backfires and motivates democracy lovers to get off their asses and VOTE.

Last edited by bartist on Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Happy 2022 Third Eyesters. Sure enough, it changed up again.

1. "Summer of Soul"
2. "West Side Story"
3. "Drive My Car"
4. "Belfast"
5. "The Power of The Dog"
6. "Mass"
7. "Parallel Mothers"
8. "Passing"
9. "Spencer""
10. "The French Dispatch"
11. "Pig"
12. "tick, tick...BOOM!"
13. "CODA"

What can one say? The Almodóvar even at his least is better than most, and this is among his finest films, on a whole bunch of different levels, from soap to searing, from Sirk to Ophuls. And La Belle Penélope is astounding. If KStew remains The One To Beat, Mother Monster The Threat, this performance is The Spoiler -- incredibly nuanced, vivid and alive. Catching it on New Year's Day seemed somehow apt.

Next up: "Flee" and of course the Scottish Tragedy with Denzel. Always Denzel.

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:05 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
SPOILER for "Passing"

I really couldn't tell which scenario applied at the end of Passing. Irene clearly had some motive, given all the flirting by Clare with her husband, and Clare's statement that she would move back to the hood if John found out her secret. My main problem with the film was the writing and the awkward delivery of some lines. Also, I couldn't really see Tessa Thompson (Irene) as passing in any social context, so the early scene where John seems to see her as white confused me. Nor could imagine the doctor, Irene's husband, making lynching a regular dinner table topic with children so young. I have no doubt there's an age to have "The Talk" but I don't think it starts with vivid descriptions of hanging people from trees. I've had several friends describe The Talk to me, and it did not go down quite like that. But perhaps the 1920s were different and my sense of that historical period is off. That may be one where the book would have clarified matters better to a reader.

EtA: Happy 2022. Really hope voter suppression legislation backfires and motivates democracy lovers to get off their asses and VOTE.

Dear bartist: Oh, yes, the novel would help with that. Our friend Tessa Dearest is not "caucasian' but, as the novel suggests, has features that if she pulls down her hat and re-centers herself, can be Viola Dana or Janet Gaynor - remember the period -- to "pass" when she can/has to. The whole thing about "The Talk" is a ripped-from-the-pages aspect of the adapatation, because that dichotomy is what Ms. Larsen was looking at in the 20s. And there you have it.

And yes, what you said about voter suppression and the rest of it. #StillMoreOfUS