Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

bartist
Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:41 am Reply with quote
Really hated the hour or so of ITOET I managed to watch. I think Whiskey may have dissed it over at Elba film forum but don't recall particulars. Felt really sorry for the actors forced by economic necessity I'd imagine. Almost made me swear off surrealism forever. Yuck.

Your idea of handing off to other directors might help.

Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:59 am Reply with quote
Dropping by to offer a wake up call. See Lamb.

Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:09 pm Reply with quote
When I saw a brief synopsis, I though it could be pretty baa-aad, but then I saw a review that made me think it wool-d be better than that, and maybe a shear delight. My wife, however, who doesn't care for supernatural horror said we mutton see it.

So I venture to the theater alone. As much due to the puns, perhaps, as our differing tastes.

Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:11 pm Reply with quote
It’s not a horror story. It’s a fabulous folk tale. About people who live in the vast otherworldly landscape of Iceland. A beautiful landscape empty of trees and other people. But populated with a lot of sheep. How to satisfy their human needs and desires in such a place? That’s the story.

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:47 am Reply with quote
Still haven't ventured out to visit a theater yet, but I caught "Elizabeth Is Missing" on one of our PBS stations. Very interesting--especially since I had just learned that one of my cousins, who lived in NYC for years and with whom I saw many movies, has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. It's not a film I'd recommend to her--though she and Glenda Jackson don't have much in common (Jackson seems to have a total lack of conceit about her appearance--in fact, she resembles King Lear more than a middle-class Englishwoman). (I missed her King Lear on Broadway, incidentally.)

But it's actually a pretty good murder mystery as well as an interesting observation of someone who is sinking further into Alzheimer's. Her friend Elizabeth, who occupies the house where her family once lived, doesn't meet her for coffee one morning, and she goes to her house. Finding the door locked and no one responding to her ring, she looks into some windows, and notices a pair of glasses near one windowsill. Knowing Elizabeth wouldn't go out without her glasses, she starts telling people--her daughter, then a policeman, the shop clerk, whoever is available--but her anxiety is ignored, and she has flashbacks about the disappearance of her sister decades before, which seem to parallel Elizabeth's situation. The rest of the film involves her search, as she grows more frustrated with the reactions of other people and her own memory problems; she keeps notes on Post-its and her granddaughter helps her stay organized. The ending is bittersweet, but she's successful at last. Good movie.
gromit
Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:55 am Reply with quote
Meet the Ricardos coming out with Nicole Kidman in the the role of Lucy.
I'm there.

Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Wish I were a Lucy fan but never really got the fuss over what seemed a middling sitcom from the fifties. Maybe some VitaMeataVegemin would help my anemic response. Also, on what planet is Kidman remotely a plausible stand-in for Lucille Ball? Sorry, am just pouring cold water, and it might be quite fun.

Anyone seen the Daniel Craig swan song yet?

Where is Weeds, BTW? As a moderator and founding father figure of this forum, a goodbye would be nice if he has taken his leave.

Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
He's posting a lot on Facebook.

Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Good to know.

Carrobin, thanks I will look on the PBS Passport site for E is Missing. I find the theme interesting, in how people marshal remarkable energy and coping strategies when facing cognitive losses. I am sorry to hear about your cousin.

If I ever find myself in that situation, I would hope I have the Socratic option, but I fear this country is a long way from removing the legal impediments to asking for that beverage. People blather on about FREEDOM!!! but they mostly mean the freedom to tell other people how to live, and die.

Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:20 pm Reply with quote
[quote="bartist"]Good to know. /quote]

To tell the truth, he's promoting "Psycho Ape!" so much I'm tempted to skip. It's like Jeff Vandermeer promoting his books and the movies based on them. After sitting through "Annihilation," which he thoroughly promoted, and which I hated, I don't his judgment of his own works, and I'm skeptical of any artist who's promoting his own work.

Note: Psycho Ape! is doing reasonably good in reviews, but Billy isn't helping himself.

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
I don't his judgment of his own works, and I'm skeptical of any artist who's promoting his own work.

Note: Psycho Ape! is doing reasonably good in reviews, but Billy isn't helping himself.

Yep. An impartial source (or within yelling distance of one) is better.

Eons ago, I read some shorts by VDMeer, and they seemed weird and Borges-like in good ways. Annihilation was disappointing (which is weenie-talk for "I recall this film so poorly I can't recall why I hated it, but I probably did.")

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:38 am Reply with quote
Ghulam wrote:
Michael Sarnoski's "Pig" is a silly movie with no redeeming features, not even Nicolas Cage's "restrained" performance.

I also got next to nothing out of this.
Cage in old homeless/scraggly makeup, and then beat up old guy makeup.
The secret nightmarish Portland underground scene is indeed silly. And there's no resolution to anything. What's the point of the staged fights where one guy keeps his hands behind his back while getting beaten to a pulp. Apparently folks are betting how long the guy can take abuse, but why is anyone participating?

Cage is determined to get his pig back. He finds the folks who stole it, put a significant dent in his head and fired a shot or two his way. Then when they say they sold it, boom, were on to the next scene/step in finding the pig. No idea how these criminal folk were dealt with, or if they gave the money back, or anything. The film is frustratingly vague in such matters.

The Amir character was annoying and useless. None of the events or characters were mildly plausible. The dialogue was often weak, and, when Cage gets philosophical or tries to undress people in his way, was rather unconvincing. I guess at least it tried to deal with a few philosophical ideas now and then.

The only thing I liked was the way that characters frequently entered into the frame and left. Often seen rather small through a window or door frame until they trudged into/out of view. Not recommended.

Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:08 am Reply with quote
House of Gucci turns out to be the sort of high-camp movie that someone like Adam McKay might make, in which case it would be huge fun. Unfortunately, Ridley Scott directs, so I can see how critics, expecting something more serious and penetrating, were put off. The spouse and I enjoyed it for the trash-tacular it is, and OTT performances (with horrendous/hilarious Italian accents) especially from Jared Leto, who seemed to have been converted (by a bald wig and facial prosthetics and a plump suit) into one of the Mario Brothers. Al Pacino sounds more like the Bronx than Florence, and joins Leto and Lady Gaga in feasting voraciously on the sets and scenery, which is gorgeous BTW. Adam Driver, as Maurizio Gucci, the one who was murdered outside his office in the nineties, is the soul of actorly restraint that the rest of the film lacks.

I am going to recommend it for the exuberantly grotesque performance of Jared Leto, and for the unrivaled velocity with which it hurtles through plot issues that would have made a lesser (and wiser) director ask, "Erm, shouldn't this be more like a twelve hour miniseries?? "

Ridley turns 84 next week. I suggest throwing a big retirement party. Maybe have a snake burst out of a cake that looks like John Hurt?

Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Encanto is joyous, celebrating a village with a family all of whose members save one have magic, that one being our heroine Mirabel. who nevertheless has gifts of her own as we see her playing with the adoring village children. The village is a refuge from wars and is hidden by mountains created when a fleeing woman enchanted a candle that allowed her to create a the village castle. She also had triplets with her who got magic of their own, and when they married villagers their children also got magic (save Mirabel), and created a close-knit community. Naturally, there is a danger coming to the family and Mirabel may either save it or destroy it.

Songs were written by Lin-Manuel Miranda, who is having a very good year.

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:03 pm Reply with quote
House of Gucci is overlong, and especially good in the first hour of so before the walls start crumbling down. Lady Gaga is definitely the best thing in it and makes you wonder what would have happened if Patrizia Reggiani had devoted herself to niceness rather than evil. I guess the house would have crashed anyway. Very gorgeous, and note one climactic scene which is in an appropriately seedy location as opposed to the beautiful locations elsewhere worth seeing. I'm fine with most of the performances, including Pacino, Leto and Driver, though Driver's better in the happy scenes. I'm absolutely convinced that he and Patrizia would marry and be happy for a while. Hell, I'd consider marrying her.