Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

bartist
Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:37 am Reply with quote
The plus side is that most of the six million came from Trumpian donors, so that's millions that won't go into the 2024 Trump war chest. I hope they keep draining their resources and enhancing their stupidity profile in this way.

Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:05 am Reply with quote
Every time a Biden win is confirmed in one of those redundant audits, it should be announced as "a Trump loss." Maybe he'd get so incensed at being a loser again and again that he'd make them stop auditing.
gromit
Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:37 am Reply with quote
The guy who gave me the BR player and scores of crappy films, also told me that one old dvd/BR shop is still functioning. It's pretty close to my apartment, but the woman runs a clothes store and then has all her films off in a side room. She'd done that before, but I thought she stopped selling movies altogether a year or two ago.

So I (again) have a source for films.
The Blu Rays cost nearly 2x the price of dvd's.

First 3 BR's I bought:
Bunny Lake is Missing -- good set up, terrible final act
Kid Brother - Harold Lloyd
Mandabi - Ousmene Sembene

But I'd rather buy 2 Dvd9's for the nearly same price as 1 BR ...

There's also a guy who sells BR's via social media and hangs around his friend's tea shop close to my home.

Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
RIP Stephen Sondheim, damn it. One of my true heroes, with musical after musical that I loved. Death be not proud.

My only consolation is that he was 91 and has left a legacy that will survive a long time.

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Extraordinary talent. A funny thing happened on the way to this forum, so you got there first.

I am amused at the self-critical way good artists view their early work. Sondheim said he was embarrassed by some of his WSS lyrics, like I Feel Pretty, which he felt had a PR immigrant sounding more like Noel Coward than herself.

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Will be posting less here, at least for a while. Just a quick note to say I will still be looking in and reading new film posts, so don't take absence of evidence as evidence of absence. Have yourselves a merry little xmas and/or happy hannukah. Or Festivus, for the rest of us.

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:10 am Reply with quote
Well, I'll be posting here when I see movies, which hasnt been much lately.
I've only been managing some old Simpson episodes these days (S6 is pretty great -- I'm especially fond of Lemon of Troy).

I wish I could find a dvd shop instead of just the one (good) Blu Ray shop, as Blus cost double the Dvd price. I'm way behind on the last 2 years of Criterion releases and made a list of about a dozen I'm looking for.

I do hope that Bart and others post about the new movies they watch. As that's always been my favorite part of 3rd Eye, reading reviews of new films, so I can gauge what to watch. I know responses are few, but reviews are read and processed. Though I likely won't get the dvd/BR until 6 months later

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:38 pm Reply with quote
President Pop was astonishing on 1/6. Whether it will be heard by enough of U.S. is another matter, but still. The speech of his life. Just saying.

As for the passing of The Master (or, as those who have known us since the 80s, Our Porchey, for which those who watch "The Crown may understand the referential meaning, but that's another story, never mind, anyway), am still in denial and can only say The Work Lives Forever. Anything you do, let it come from you, then it will be new. Give us more to see.

And rest in peace, rise in power, Sally Ann Howes, Joan Didion, Archbishop Tutu, Peter Bogdanovich and (sigh) Betty White.

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:42 am Reply with quote
Sidney Poitier. Our Archons are leaving as though in a steady stream. Rest in peace, rise in power, and thank you, for all of it.

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:19 pm Reply with quote
On the plus side, Soylent Green is a step closer...

[img]https://scontent-bos3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/271496544_10224201721684029_4696941479061568271_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_rgb565=1&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=eJRYMneWksUAX9ygCVh&_nc_ht=scontent-bos3-1.xx&oh=00_AT8_bJo683L1nzKlPK79oNv_vXF4pPywq7e3RutAm9WGVA&oe=61DDB5E6[/img]
Syd
Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm having an odd Olympics because I'm spending a lot of time watching curling, particularly women's and mixed pairs curling. I did watch some figure skating and a free style skiing event where they were racing cross country over what appeared to be snow (probably fake snow) that was decorated to look like a birthday cake. It was still fun. Otherwise, I'd see snowboarding and what I'd call snowboarding on skis and go back to curling.

Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:50 am Reply with quote
I haven't watched one nanosecond of the Olympics.
Haven't turned on the TV, as teevee, in years.

But China sports TV does/used to show curling events all the time.
It was so common that I knew the main CH woman's curling team by sight.
That was when I'd be looking for NBA games on TV, before I switched to watching them on my computer. I would watch some bits of curling now and then. Really it was probably the sport I watched the most (though still not much) after basketball. I almost never watched any of the badminton, ping pong or soccer on offer.

I'll check how the CH woman's curling team did. Probably one of the few winter sports, and team sports of any kind, where China is internationally competitive.

Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Liked the closing ceremonies. Looking forward to the 2026 Winter Olympics when we don't have to worry about evil dictatorships. Actually, we don't have to worry in 2024, 2028 and 2032 either. (The 2030 Winter Olympics site hasn't been chosen. I suggest Little America.)

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:21 pm Reply with quote
IOW the only place with real snow.

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:24 pm Reply with quote
The only parts of the Olympics I pay attention to are the skaters, and that poor Russian teenager who was supposed to win Gold but botched it and broke down was the most emotional drama on TV all week. I really have no strong opinion about whether she shouldn't have been allowed to compete, but it was a wrenching scene, especially since I always feel so empathetic with the skaters when they fall--it's like watching a soaring bird shot out of the sky. OTOH, the winners were fabulous to watch.