Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

Syd
Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12714 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Finally catching up with Killing Eve, which I've been looking forward to because it stars Sandra Oh, and put off because I'm put off by serial killer plots. Generally enjoying it because it has Sandra Oh, is quirky and really is intriguing, but I don't know how they sustain this into what I believe is now the fourth season. I doubt Sandra Oh's Eve is going to die (at least till the end of the fourth season) or that the beautiful psychopathic killer will either since the novel series is named after her.

One of the big questions this series begs is when the hell is Sandra Oh going to win an Emmy? She's been nominated twelve times, including five times for this series (two as co-producer) and five for "Grey's Anatomy" (all as supporting actress) and has won all kinds of other awards. I look forward to seeing her in anything. Almost anything, anyway.

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I remember Weeds and I both wrote brief favorable comments here, 2018, 2019. I recall watching one season, and then dropping out in season two. Could be serial killer fatigue, which has led to me skipping all such plots in the past few years. Haven't seen her on other tv, so can't speak to her Emmylessness. Having seen her in Sideways and Bean, I think of her as a comic actor.

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Anyone see the Icelandic short series, Katla?

Given its fantasy and folklore elements, I could see Syd or Bart getting into it.
carrobin
Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:29 am Reply with quote
Having been addicted to news (mostly MSNBC) for the past couple of years, about my only scheduled variation has been The Simpsons, but I just discovered Schitt's Creek recently and now I'm tracking its repeats. Darn, I love those people. So deeply disturbed in some ways, so truly relatable in others--and always something to make me laugh out loud.
bartist
Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:53 am Reply with quote
My daughter recommended that to me. Might have a look.

While I'm in TV thread, I'll mention Asner. My memories of Ed Asner on TV are sprinkled with weirdness. First time I saw him was when I was around ten, on The Outer Limits, where he's a cop investigating a weird being that escaped from a physics lab. He was also on The X-Files, paired with Lily Tomlin playing a ghostly duo.

He was so ubiquitous that I sometimes think I recall him in something he wasn't in, like the Sidney Lumet version of 12 Angry Men. I had to go look it up to convince myself that he was not in that movie, because it sure seemed like he was.

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:47 am Reply with quote
Ed Asner will always be Lou Grant to me--even in "Elf," I was wondering why Santa reminded me of a friendly news executive. The first full-time job I had in New York was at Dell Publishing, and my boss, a stylish Jewish female editor, asked me once, "Do you think of me as Lou Grant?" Well, no... But of course I often felt like Mary Richards, or Rhoda. Never like Phyllis or Sue Ann, though.