Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

Syd
Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
That's odd. I thought I had done a review of "Kedi" but not.

Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm currenrly watching "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom" which is based on one of August Wilson's Pittsburgh Decalogy ("Fences" is another one). Denzel Washington has committed himself to producing nine of them, which makes me wonder which decade he's skipping.

On this one, I'm distracted by Viola Davis's terrible makeup. Was Ma Rainey supposed to be hideous?

Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Anthony Hopkins and Olivia Colman are superb in "The Father". Brilliant screenplay. The first-time director, Florian Zeller, best known as a French playwright, is a man to watch.

carrobin
Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I hope the animal lovers here caught the end of tonight's BBC World News on PBS. It featured a tawny cat that walked into a veterinarian's office carrying one of its kittens. The next day, it brought another kitten. The staff checked them and found that both had eye infections, which of course they treated. That was all--I hope they follow up on the story, but I doubt that they will.
bartist
Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:51 pm Reply with quote
That's a story so sweet, I was instantly rendered diabetic. Running the clip now. One sign of advancing age is that I've grown powerless to resist cat stories.

Want to see The Father, heard nothing but high praise. I'm not even making fava bean jokes.

Watched first hour of Ma Rainey, found the dialog kind of repetitive (35 minutes to convey "Ma selects the repertoire") and not really as compelling as I'd heard. Yes, Viola's makeup is pretty OTT.

Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:08 am Reply with quote
I was busy watching a video about the "fabulous famous painting pig" Pigcasso.

Seems lots animals can learn to paint ...

Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:08 am Reply with quote

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/why-cats-paint-heather-busch/1111502366

Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:48 am Reply with quote
I like Pigcasso's stile.

Walter Gropius IIRC trained dogs to paint in the Bauhaus. They called it Bow-wow-haus.

Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:03 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
That's a story so sweet, I was instantly rendered diabetic. Running the clip now. One sign of advancing age is that I've grown powerless to resist cat stories.

Want to see The Father, heard nothing but high praise. I'm not even making fava bean jokes.

Watched first hour of Ma Rainey, found the dialog kind of repetitive (35 minutes to convey "Ma selects the repertoire") and not really as compelling as I'd heard. Yes, Viola's makeup is pretty OTT.

She also appears in the Bessie Smith bio, where she was played by Mo'Nique. If I remember, I liked her so much I wanted to see a bio of her. I guess I got one, but a life story would have been better. Played by Mo'Nique, that is.

Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:14 am Reply with quote
I looked at "Bessie" yesterday --thanks, yes, I want to see that. Looks like a more interesting artist's struggle upwards type of biopic.

Family visiting, we're thinking about "White Tiger, " which has an Oscar nom for best adapted screenplay. Anyone seen it?

Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:18 pm Reply with quote
"White Tiger" is just okay. Nothing to write home about.

bartist
Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Mr. Ghulam!

That was the consensus, and we watched something else, including an Easter-related viewing, the 2019 crowdsourced series, "The Chosen," which is about Jesus, from a rather nuanced historical perspective. One of the very few productions I've seen of this kind with (a) reasonably good production values, and (b) a Jesus who seemed like a real human being. With naturalistic dialog and giving a real sense of the philosophic cross-currents going on at that period. While it's unlikely I will become a major consumer of Christian movies, this one was worth the time and enlarged my understanding of the historical context of that popular desert religion.

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Not to miss: The Father. Not my first choice....for someone close to the chasm of dementia. But.... I never knew Anthony Hopkins was a great actor. His performance is like a ride at an amusement park....without the amusement. It’s virtual reality no doubt.

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Had a difficult viewing of "Promising Young Woman," which was the first film I'd seen in a cinema for over a year, and it was advertised as a comedy which it is anything but. Maybe a black comedy, but really it's a revenge drama, and not a bad one. It's really hard to review, and I don't think it deserves any Oscars.

Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:56 am Reply with quote
Can't fathom why it's being marketed as a comedy. Definitely having an Inigo Montoya moment here.

"You keep using that word... "