Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

billyweeds
Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry, forgot what "sigboth" means. Can you provide enlightenment?
bartist
Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:14 pm Reply with quote
It's a contraction of "significant bother." Which is, in turn, a play on "significant other."

If I recall rightly, Jbottle coined the expression back in the NYT forum days.

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Hahahaha thanks!
gromit
Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:41 am Reply with quote
How's it going Mr. Weeds?
Have you been able to get vaccinated?
I've been wondering how the NYC rollout is going.

My father just got inoculated yesterday.
And my semi-reluctant mother just registered.
That's in NJ.
I think it took around two weeks from the time my father registered online to getting an appointment. Notified Monday for a Thursday appointment.
All seemed pretty efficient given the limited supplies.

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:51 am Reply with quote
gromit--Got the full two-dose Pfizer deal. Feeling great, no side effects whatsoever!
gromit
Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Good to hear.

2021 is shaping up as a huge relief from the horrors of 2020. Think back to this time last year, and so much shit was just about to go fanward. Biden the very antithesis of noisy blustery incompetent Trump.

These newfangled mRNA vaccines are pretty damn impressive. In a way the J&J delays in trials and manufacturing have been somewhat fortunate with high priority folks being immunized with the two high efficacy vaccines. While the younger healthier cohort will be inoculated with more of the J&J vaccine which should be sufficient.

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:51 pm Reply with quote
It's good to see the fan blades being unpooped.

I'm usually pretty stoic, but am dragging my feet on the vax. The fact that I had covid, and therefore antibodies, is the excuse I'm using so far. It's ironic that I've had medical training, have sewed up wounds (including on my own face with no lido), administered meds, and yet am so leery of needles.

This will sound a bit crazy but I've spent most of my life not practicing good hygiene, eating food off the floor or ground, touching livestock and other animals and not washing afterwards, sucking on dirt-covered pebbles (as a child), not avoiding sneezing coughing people, not sterilizing surfaces in kitchens, drinking at times untreated well water... I could go on, but you get the idea. Here's what happened: I've almost never been sick. Haven't had flu that kept me home in 20 years. And I know it's probably the pigpen world I grew up in I can thank. Immune systems develop and strengthen when challenged all the time. All this germophobe stuff people do now, and overuse of antibiotics, is setting up a massive public health catastrophe. And it's creating stronger pathogens, like methycillin resistant staphylococcus.

Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:09 am Reply with quote
"eating food off the floor or ground"

You really should invest in a table and bowl.
I'll chip in if you need some help.

From my teens on, I used to watch the needle glide under my skin and the liquid go in or out of the syringe, depending if an injection or having blood drawn. But it is kind of weird and creepy. And as I got a bit older I found it more unpleasant. So my more recent strategy has been when they look pretty close to ready I simply look away. Getting a needle is a pretty simple process if you have your head turned. There's a small sensation and then after 5-10 seconds they tell you it's done. And you can walk off and cry in private. Simply not watching makes it much easier to deal with.

Headphones/music should help too.
A while back I was at the dentist to get a wisdom tooth chiseled out of my face. And I asked them if I could keep my earphones in and they said assented. And that made a helluva difference. Of course this was something like 40 minutes of two women wrenching a molar out of my head.

Music should be a good distraction from getting a needle. I'd rec my latest addition to my coronavirus playlist: Double Shot of My Baby's Love.

If you have music going, turn your head, maybe check your phone messages (or even play a phone game) you'll barely notice getting a needle. It's all about distractions ...

Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Oddly, I didn't even feel the second Pfizer shot. If it hadn't been for a tiny dot of blood on the bandage, I would have sworn the nurse missed.

Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:55 pm Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
"eating food off the floor or ground"

You really should invest in a table and bowl.
I'll chip in if you need some help.

From my teens on, I used to watch the needle glide under my skin and the liquid go in or out of the syringe, depending if an injection or having blood drawn. But it is kind of weird and creepy. And as I got a bit older I found it more unpleasant. So my more recent strategy has been when they look pretty close to ready I simply look away. Getting a needle is a pretty simple process if you have your head turned. There's a small sensation and then after 5-10 seconds they tell you it's done. And you can walk off and cry in private. Simply not watching makes it much easier to deal with.

Headphones/music should help too.
A while back I was at the dentist to get a wisdom tooth chiseled out of my face. And I asked them if I could keep my earphones in and they said assented. And that made a helluva difference. Of course this was something like 40 minutes of two women wrenching a molar out of my head.

Music should be a good distraction from getting a needle. I'd rec my latest addition to my coronavirus playlist: Double Shot of My Baby's Love.

If you have music going, turn your head, maybe check your phone messages (or even play a phone game) you'll barely notice getting a needle. It's all about distractions ...

First, LOL "invest in a table... " Yes, loose wording can sink the whole sentence. Happy to report my floor eating only involves dropped items retrieved within, say, ten seconds. (after ten seconds, the rats have gotten to it...man, they're bold and quick) My most extreme moments involved letting goats, horses, or cows lick my hands (the salt, I think) then misinforming my aunt that my hands were washed as I sat down to eat. Licked hands do offer the superficial appearance of cleanness.

Second, thanks for tips. I'm fairly stoic, really. Some blame for my aversion can be laid on my first pediatrician. This was due to her strategy for trouble-free injections:

Distract child. When they're not expecting it, stab them in the arm, then chuckle when they shriek.

I question this method, but am no expert.

Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
Oddly, I didn't even feel the second Pfizer shot. If it hadn't been for a tiny dot of blood on the bandage, I would have sworn the nurse missed.

I feel that lollipop was mostly unearned, then.

Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Here's an article on the topic:
How to Overcome Fear of Needles to Get Vaccinated
I'm somewhat surprised a nurse recommends taking a Valium beforehand.
I guess if you have a real strong fear, and otherwise might not get it.

I still think distractions are the best.
I've never tried music for an injection but think that would smooth things over well. Futzing with your phone probably is good to.

Apparently when I was a small kid a doctor intended to give me a shot and I went ballistic. The story is it took 6 people to hold me down. I was not cooperative.

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I read somewhere that having a pet, particularly a dog, helps a child develop resistance to some illnesses. Playing with livestock is good for you, obviously.

Blood tests are what I hate. A jab is just a jab, but when they're trying to aim for a vein, that's when I want full distraction. And when I had my cataract replacement, they gave me a relaxing drug and earphones playing Beatles. That works.

And I'm still procrastinating re the vaccine. I'm of eligible age, but hoping to luck into a neighborhood option.
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:02 am Reply with quote
Syd wrote:

Same here. Absolutely no effect.
carrobin
Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I got my first shot yesterday, at Walgreen's. Hardly felt it--just slight pressure--and there was no sign of there having been a puncture when I took off the Band-Aid. And I've had no reactions at all, so far. I started to worry that maybe I hadn't actually gotten the full vaccination, and put a comment on the Neighborhood website to ask whether anyone else had a similar experience; turns out several had, and a couple of them told me that reactions (sore arm, sleep all day) could appear later. I'm waiting.