Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

knox
Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:44 am Reply with quote
You should submit an edit to Wikipedia. You can do that.

Here's a pic of a sensible man, attending the inauguration yesterday...

bartist
Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Became quite the viral meme, with Bernie photoshopped into all kinds of locations.

Meanwhile, investors are watching The Big Short to understand a short squeeze currently going on with a bunch of Reddit investors....

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/gamestop-people-watching-big-short-101132254.html

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:55 am Reply with quote
R.I.P. Hal Holbrook.
carrobin
Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:25 am Reply with quote
It's very upsetting to hear about the complaints against Joss Whedon. Strange that it took so long for the word to get out--except that bad behavior among the famous and successful has only begun to make news in the past few years. But so far four actors have confirmed the allegations, including three from "Buffy" and one from Whedon's newest space flick.
Apparently the accusations don't primarily involve sex, but concern his treatment of actors. (And he always seemed such a nice guy in interviews.)
bartist
Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to hear that. There seems to be a consistency in the complaints, pointing to a real problem he has with casual nastiness towards actors who are in a position where they have to take it. Power corrupts. If somewhere, way back there, someone had dope-slapped him the first few times he tried it, it might have set him on a different track where he couldn't kid himself that he was being funny.

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
One of the nice things about having C. J. Cherryh as a Facebook friend (and a friend in real life) is being treated to a long discussion on corsets. Seriously, it was very interesting and showed how our perceptions of things get warped by time. They were more a support garment than an exploitation device, and usually were pretty comfortable and flexible. Not always, though, because some women obviously used the tight lacing to enhance their figures, but that wasn't their primary purpose.

One thing that I'd never heard mentioned is that the only way to wear a hoop skip without experiencing extreme back pain is to wear a corset to better distribute the weight.

I also discovered their are a surprising number of corset makers today. They're indispensible for people who who need back support (and for renaissance fairs).

There's a good documentary here somewhere. Possibly narrated by Keira Knightley, though that may be too cute.

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I like her style. (Cherryh's that is)

Do corset wearers have support groups?

Can't say this weather is my favorite. Stay warm.

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:10 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
It's supposed to get down to -13 degrees (F) tonight. Not unusual for Fargo, North Dakota or Fairbanks, Alaska, but a record for OKC in February. We also had about six inches of snow (not a record, even for the date) but it's all powder. We may get the same amount tomorrow night, then we're probably good for the winter. Considering we get nasty ice storms, I'll take a few inches of powder any time.

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:01 pm Reply with quote
We lived in Wichita part of my childhood, and I remember we had ice storms. Yes, powder is much more pleasant. Minus thirteen -- that's leave the faucet dripping temps. Even if you think all the pipes are insulated and not running through unheated crawlspaces.

Finally rose above zero F. today. Several days with lows near minus 20, highs at minus 5 - 10. Had to route a length of flex duct into a crawl space, so that the pipes there (already insulated) wouldn't freeze. Stuffed in more batt insulation. Space heater running constantly in kitchen.

What else... water bottles stored on the basement floor froze. In plastic jugs, fortunately. Chilblains - normally a rare condition, pretty common if you skip wool socks and insulated boots. Pet water bowl near back door iced over. When it's around twenty below, you also get a weird disparity between thermostat temp and temp close to a wall or window. It's only 68 within a couple feet of the thermostat. The cold feels like it's reaching out from the walls and shoving a chilled hand down your neck. Cats basically turn into permanent fixtures on your lap, stomach, or tucked up against the legs. Car batteries fail, have to put them on a charger (get the kind that charges through the cigarette lighter). All dietary discipline lapses. There's a profound urge to put butter on everything.

IOW, so thankful we had power here. Without it, we'd have to flee to a shelter.

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:45 am Reply with quote
The TV reports are startling. All that snow and ice in Texas, so many power grids down. So far we're doing fine in New York--it's been a beautiful blue-sky day here, temps hitting about 40--but we're supposed to get a taste of the storm in a day or two. By then it should be wearing out, we hope, but the grocery store was packed this afternoon. I should have double-masked.
grace
Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:17 pm Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
It's very upsetting to hear about the complaints against Joss Whedon. Strange that it took so long for the word to get out--except that bad behavior among the famous and successful has only begun to make news in the past few years. But so far four actors have confirmed the allegations, including three from "Buffy" and one from Whedon's newest space flick.
Apparently the accusations don't primarily involve sex, but concern his treatment of actors. (And he always seemed such a nice guy in interviews.)

Whedon's wife publicly tore him a new one when they divorced some years ago. She called him a hypocrite and basically called him out on not practicing the feminist ideals he preached through his creations. And I recall Carpenter talking about her firing when it happened, but I think a lot of people wrote her off as just being unhappy with getting canned. I liked Whedon and still like a lot of his work; it was a little sad, but I guess not surprising, to learn just how true the whispers I'd been hearing for years were.
bartist
Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know, watching Cabin in the Woods that Whedon had released his own inner "Ancient Ones."

CitW remains, for me, as a fine example of the meta-horror film.

Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:07 pm Reply with quote
bartist--I know you haven't seen "Psycho Ape!" bc your wife doesn't go for gore, but it is another meta-horror movie if you're into that genre. www.tinyurl.com/yy37v7fo
bartist
Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Hi, weeds. Sometimes the sigboth and I do part ways on film, on where we remove the guardrails, but this might be one where she's not aware that the fright/suspense level is massively reduced by the comic meta aspect. She really liked "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, " so perhaps I can sell the fact that the star of Psycho Ape (er, co-star, sorry) was a Manson Girl.

Thanks for the link, which keeps timing out, but I will get there.

It's possible I will get a separate Prime account going, so I can watch Psycho Ape when she's off at her quilting bee (or wherever it is she disappears to) and not "contaminate" her Prime account. As I write this, I realize that either

(a) I now yearn to see Psycho Ape in a deep and genuinely heartfelt way

Or

(b) you have conducted some sort of Russian Psy-ops style campaign to psychotronically induce forumites to lurch Laurence Harvey-like towards acts of monstrous self-destruction

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:59 pm Reply with quote
bart--Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!