Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

Syd
Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
carrobin wrote:
Last night I saw an item on the news saying that Kazakhstan had been angry about the previous film, but has decided to go with the flow this time and adopt "Kazakhstan--Very Nice" as its current tourist-attraction line. (SBCohen was on Stephen Colbert's show and said the girl who plays his daughter, who was fresh out of acting school, should get an Oscar.)

She already did some acting in Bulgaria and won some sort of alternative film award. But she also graduated from film academy in 2019, which makes me think some of these were student films. I'd be fine with the acting nomination.

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:18 am Reply with quote
If I may indulge in some self-promotion here, I'm in a new movie which is something you will love or hate. It's a mash-up of 80s horror movies and any number of movie parodies, plus King Kong and Mighty Joe Young and dozens of other assorted stuff. It's also a direct steal from Halloween. I play a zookeeper on the lookout for a murderous gorilla. The movie is "Psycho Ape!" and you can rent it for $1.99, here:

www.tinyurl.com/yy37v7fo (Link isn't working for some reason. Type it in yourself and you'll get there.)

If you get into this movie's very distinct groove, you may find yourself laughing your ass off.

Let me know, one way or the other.
billyweeds
Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:59 am Reply with quote
I'm overwhelmed by the reaction to my starring role in "Psycho Ape!"
bartist
Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:38 am Reply with quote
There is the real question of what other uses I could put that $1.99 towards.

JK.

Seriously I'm looking forward to this. "Very distinct groove" got an lol here.

As I get older, I find it more important to embrace the adage, "Just because you grow old doesn't mean you have to grow up. "

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:27 am Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
There is the real question of what other uses I could put that $1.99 towards.

JK.

Seriously I'm looking forward to this. "Very distinct groove" got an lol here.

As I get older, I find it more important to embrace the adage, "Just because you grow old doesn't mean you have to grow up. "

The link is now working again, I think, so just click.
Ghulam
Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:07 am Reply with quote
David Fincher's biopic "Mank" is an excellent dramatization of how the script of "Citizen Kane" got written by a very drunk Herman Mankiewicz who shared the Oscar for his work with Orson Welles. It is consistently engaging and very well dramatized. Outstanding performance by Gary Oldman as Mankiewicz.
bartist
Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:31 am Reply with quote
I was just looking in here to see if anyone had seen Mank. Thank you. Does seem like something film buffs would enjoy. And the absence of blue-end spectrum light will make it easier to sleep after watching.

Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:17 am Reply with quote
"Mank" is extremely well photographed but that's about all I can say in its favor. It's unbearably talky, and if you're not already familiar with CK or the back story thereof, you're going to be lost. This lets out most people under 40, I would suspect. I know CK backwards and forwards, and the back story, and I still was bored. Only seen half of it so far, but will return.
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:17 am Reply with quote
One more positive thing about "Mank." I'm impressed with Arliss Howard's performance as L.B. Mayer, because I know AH IRL and he's one of the coolest dudes I've ever met, about as far from L.B. Mayer as a person can get. So I was taken with his talent. Married to Debra Winger, too.
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:38 pm Reply with quote
bart--Have you screened "Psycho Ape!" yet?
billyweeds
Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:30 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
bart--Have you screened "Psycho Ape!" yet?

If you didn't like it, I'm okay with that. Just let me know.
bartist
Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad you're open to crits. But my sad story is that I haven't yet viewed due to a couple factors:

The only Amazon account is in the spouse's name, and she gets recommendations based on anything ordered on that account. For reasons entirely unclear to me, she didn't want to order Psycho Ape.

We finally started watching The West Wing (hey, it only took 21 years), which has been eating up viewing time. Ditto "The Queen's Gambit. " I fail to understand why Netflix is removing TWW from streaming in two weeks, but they are. And I don't want to, at this point, spend $120 to buy the series boxed set.

Will report further developments.

Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:36 pm Reply with quote
I can't recommend Midnight Sky (new release on Netflix, which makes it a conundrum if I post this in Current or Couch) as sci-fi (multiple distracting science bloopers), but it's heartfelt and has an interesting twist. SPOILER AHEAD The problem is, once you've encountered the twist in, say, "Adrift," it's not hard to anticipate its use wherever an isolated person is struggling to survive. SPOILER CONCLUDED

I did enjoy the nod to "On the Beach" (the world is dying as radiactive clouds spread gradually to even the most isolated spots on the globe), which is made pellucid by a scene where a crewmember on a Jupiter mission (to a suprisingly hospitable moon we apparently knew nothing about) is watching a 3D scene from "On the Beach."

There's also an Arctic trek adventure as Clooney (an astronomer who has remained on at an observatory, keeping a lonely vigil as he dies from some unnamed cancer) faces Shackletonesque rigors when he travels from the observatory to a weather station with a powerful antenna. The stretching forces on your belief suspension may be considerable.

Overall, the science nonsense, the predictable crises (meteors will take a key piece of instrumentation....verrry slow meteors) and dialog that sometimes rings false (shipboard characters explaining things to each other that would already be known and obvious) weakened the film.

If you really want to see George Clooney do decent sci-fi, I'd suggest rewatching "Gravity."

Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I just read another review of Midnight Sky which concludes that Clooney is a pretty inept director.

Swiped internet review:

Quote:
The Midnight Sky had real potential to be interesting but George Clooney finally made me a believer about his deficiencies as a director. I speak for myself here but I doubt few would disagree that he's possibly one of the most agreeable movie stars of the last 3 decades. This is the first time where I felt kind of tricked by that, because he is the most interesting thing happening on screen against an incredibly overdone story, with what is an interminable pace at 118 minutes.

Even though it's an overdone cliche itself now (RIP David Giler, who invented it) I was really thinking/hoping one of the characters on the spaceship turned out to be a robot/AI, just for the sake of making it feel a little more sci-fi than melodrama. Then it turns out no he's human, with another half-hearted backstory in a movie already chock full of them. This is to speak nothing of the silly twist at the end that further made me feel stupid for dedicating two hours of my life to it.

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:55 am Reply with quote
George C.Wolfe's "Ma Raineys Black Bottom" is a more feisty and super-charged dramatization than some of the other recent movies based on August Wilson's plays. A directorial feat by George Wolfe. Excellent performance by Viola Davis and a superb one by the late Chadwick Boseman.