Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

billyweeds
Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:54 am Reply with quote
Great story, Bart. But I'd accept "Memento" if I could get back the 1,000 hours I spent watching "Inception," "Interstellar," "Dunkirk," "The Dark Knight" and the sequel and the prequel and anything else that Christopher Nolan ever made.
bartist
Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:49 am Reply with quote
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/aug/21/tenet-review-christopher-nolans-thriller-is-a-palindromic-dud

Amusing pan.

The Copperfield movie looks great, however, so we're going to brave the aerosol droplets midweek when it's not so crowded. Barkis is willing (though reportedly absent from this adaptation).

Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:48 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I liked the first two of his Batman movies, and hated the third.

Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:13 am Reply with quote
I never had any interest in any of these comic book films. It's too bad they've conquered the world.

Someone needs to see a Chloe Zhao film and report back. The Rider is supposed to be quite good.

Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:39 am Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
I never had any interest in any of these comic book films. It's too bad they've conquered the world.

Someone needs to see a Chloe Zhao film and report back. The Rider is supposed to be quite good.

"The Rider" is a superb movie.
bartist
Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Ianucci has done it again. Creator of "Veep" and Alan Partridge, director of the wickedly funny The Death of Stalin, and In the Loop, and now a delightful reinvention of Dickens that seems faithful to the spirit of the original classic. Fine performances from an ensemble that includes Ben Whishaw (as the humble and oily Uriah Heep), Hugh Laurie (he IS Mr Dick) , Tilda Swinton, Peter Capaldi, and Dev Patel.

An odd experience attending a theatrical showing. We were the only audience at a late afternoon showing on a Tuesday, and other rooms I peeked in (to see a baffling three minutes of "Tenet" among others) were similarly sparse. Signs instructed us to remain masked during the film, unless we were consuming refreshments. Given the empty seats around me, I decided to define air as a refreshment and happily slurped it up throughout the show.

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:32 am Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
Ianucci has done it again. Creator of "Veep" and Alan Partridge, director of the wickedly funny The Death of Stalin, and In the Loop, and now a delightful reinvention of Dickens that seems faithful to the spirit of the original classic. Fine performances from an ensemble that includes Ben Whishaw (as the humble and oily Uriah Heep), Hugh Laurie (he IS Mr Dick) , Tilda Swinton, Peter Capaldi, and Dev Patel.

An odd experience attending a theatrical showing. We were the only audience at a late afternoon showing on a Tuesday, and other rooms I peeked in (to see a baffling three minutes of "Tenet" among others) were similarly sparse. Signs instructed us to remain masked during the film, unless we were consuming refreshments. Given the empty seats around me, I decided to define air as a refreshment and happily slurped it up throughout the show.

I love Dev Patel and would be interested in this "Copperfield" even if it hadn't gotten rave reviews. As for "Tenet," I will not suffer through one more Christopher Nolan film ever. Ever.
bartist
Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:31 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
gromit wrote:

"The Rider" is a superb movie.

2nd that. Treads a gray area between documentary and fictional drama beautifully. Non-actors are used, playing themselves, and Zhao seems to bring out their authentic selves. Brady Jandreau is the real horse whisperer, and those training scenes are real. Unlike in the narrative, however, his mother is alive and she's an extra who releases a horse from the chute at the rodeo.

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:35 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
DO NOT READ the NYTimes review of The Gift before you see it, which you should do. The review (by Stephen Holden, who should be fired for the shoddy job) is egregiously stuffed with spoilers, and the movie is legitimately surprising. Jason Bateman and Rebecca Hall are stunning in the leads and Joel Edgerton, as main support, writer, and director, iis a genuine triple-threat. The movie is not perfect, but it's a thriller of consequence, which is a rare bird indeed.
-- posted in August 2015, when a functional human being was president

What he said. How did I miss this? Though there are some fairly standard thriller plot elements here, Edgerton shakes them up cleverly. This was disturbing in all the finest ways a thriller can be. And Bateman really goes beyond his usual character zone, peeling away a facade and showing some smarmy layers below.

Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:14 am Reply with quote
This pan of Antebellum was an interesting takedown of what looks to be a piece of Shyamalanesque crap. Warning: the review has overt spoilers. The premise of the review is that these don't matter, but still.

https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2020/09/antebellum-review/616403/
knox
Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:13 pm Reply with quote
https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2020/10/possessor-brandon-cronenberg/616563/

I fear that Sean Bean (who Bart has pleaded for, re surviving an entire film or series, at Elba forum) is going to die, again.

Yes, Brandon is David's son.

Quote:
Cronenberg isn’t just looking to provoke with blood and guts—like all good dystopian fiction, Possessor offers disturbing and timely observations about the world we already live in. The crucial opening sequence sees Tasya hack into the mind of Holly (Gabrielle Graham), a Black woman, to carry out a murder in public, but then struggle to make her kill herself—Tasya’s usual exit strategy. A trio of cops that come upon the scene do Tasya’s job for her, shooting Holly to death without warning. The painful and resonant scene, which the film implies would’ve unfolded differently had Tasya’s victim been white, works because of Graham. Her excellent performance helps ground the viewer in the societal cruelty that Tasya is counting on to do her job.
bartist
Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:47 pm Reply with quote
The theme seems very Cronenbergian. Like his father, Brandon seems quite interested in how we occupy our physical bodies, and how we derive our identities from our physical selves.

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I’m watching something I’m kind of getting a kick out of. Think of a combo of Psycho, Twin Peaks, and Basic Instinct. Some of Hitchcock’s music, a motel, and a nuthouse of the 40’s. But with a smacking importance given to color. And some great acting. Mmm....Corey Stoll. It’s bizarre, gruesome, funny, and surprising. Ratched delivers.

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Watching Borat II. I don't think Kazakhstan is going to be pleased by this one, either. Very funny in a lot of places, with a brave and game young Bulgarian actress playing Borat's daughter. I find Borat funnier it the scenes where he's not stinging people, though I suspect some of his "victims" are in on the joke.

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Last night I saw an item on the news saying that Kazakhstan had been angry about the previous film, but has decided to go with the flow this time and adopt "Kazakhstan--Very Nice" as its current tourist-attraction line. (SBCohen was on Stephen Colbert's show and said the girl who plays his daughter, who was fresh out of acting school, should get an Oscar.)