Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

Syd
Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Seattle's new NHL team will be the Kraken, a name which I thoroughly approve of. You also know what the chant will be when one of their players is in the penalty box.

Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:18 am Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
Lorne tried to set me up as admin and it didn't work.

Ah. Well that answers it. I won't concern myself further on the matter.

As for hockey and kraken, I know almost nothing about the former, and little of the latter, so have no idea what the chant would be. Suppose I could get crackin' with a search engine.

Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:43 pm Reply with quote
RIP Olivia de Havilland, one of the all-time greats. My favorite was "The Heiress" in which she is taught by masters.

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Interesting article (from 2 years back) about a Yukon gold rush town which was the end of the line for silent distribution, so most of the old reels got buried there.

https://hyperallergic.com/383641/an-avant-garde-documentary-about-500-silent-films-rescued-in-the-yukon/

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:50 pm Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
Interesting article (from 2 years back) about a Yukon gold rush town which was the end of the line for silent distribution, so most of the old reels got buried there.

https://hyperallergic.com/383641/an-avant-garde-documentary-about-500-silent-films-rescued-in-the-yukon/

Which is a great thing, like finding Buster Keaton's silents in the wall of a house he used to own.

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Bart....Are you experiencing any side effects from the huge motorcycle rally in your state?

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Every year the Black Hills experience side effects of half a million or more bikers. They are projecting about half that this year, around 250,000. It does seem a little quieter in Rapid, but the potential for a superspreader event seems pretty high, given we're talking about a social group that styles itself as "rebels" who don't need to wear masks, socially distance, get tested, or use sanitizer. And they crowd into Sturgis especially, a small town of 6000, and throng bars, restaurants, gear shops, teeshirt kiosks, campgrounds, etc. The average incubation period of coronavirus is 10-15 days, so I wouldn't be too surprised by a spike in cases here (and the states they go back to) in late August. Bikers generally like to take risks. Hope all their families, relatives, coworkers, friends, and social contacts feel the same way, and get a big thrill from flaunting basic public health measures that are accepted as common fucking sense almost everywhere else on the planet, excuse my French.

One large side effect may be the increased number of locals referring to bikers as "idiots. "

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Happy birthday, all you Third Eye pussycats.

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Just googled Bill the local cat, and he has, if the Interweb can be believed, just hit the big 8-0 yesterday. And still retains his slender girlish figure and winsome ways.

Well done, Weeds!

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Have a great one, Billy‼️ We all look up to you. Lead the way!

Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:21 am Reply with quote
How to turn Sean Hannity into food for worms

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/sean-hannity-compost-books/2020/08/06/a41b1aa6-d5b8-11ea-aff6-220dd3a14741_story.html

gromit
Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:55 am Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
The average incubation period of coronavirus is 10-15 days, so I wouldn't be too surprised by a spike in cases here (and the states they go back to) in late August.

The average incubation period is a little over 5 days.
I've seen 5.1 from Johns Hopkins, while China detailed 5.4 days.
I think you were referring to the maximum incubation period which is considered 10-14 days.

97.5% of infections display symptoms within 11.5 days.
(a few freak longer periods of around 20 days have been reported sparingly, but there's skepticism about those cases).

So your spike and outbreak is likely to be earlier, starting around Aug 15 and picking up steam from there due to secondary infections and those with longer incubation periods getting hit. So yes, late August might be a bad time.

Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:02 am Reply with quote
My mother becomes an octogenarian in a few months, between Chinese National Day and Thelonious Monk's birthday. My reference points are probably not so standard.

We were going to take a vacation to an ex-Soviet state, possibly Belarus where they are cracking heads at this moment as the "last dictator in Europe" just won a suspicious victory with 90% of the vote. Ran against an English teacher/housewife, the only one among the opposition not jailed or exiled. And she managed to unite the opposition. Ukraine and Moldova were the other options. Now I'm not sure what to do for such a Big Birthday.

Hate to say it, but when you hit 80, there's no guarantee you'll get to 90 (or what your health will be if you do).
So my advice is have a good time in your 80's, live it up, spend all your money, make it a great decade.

Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:56 am Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
bartist wrote:
The average incubation period of coronavirus is 10-15 days, so I wouldn't be too surprised by a spike in cases here (and the states they go back to) in late August.

The average incubation period is a little over 5 days.
I've seen 5.1 from Johns Hopkins, while China detailed 5.4 days.
I think you were referring to the maximum incubation period which is considered 10-14 days...

Yes, I did mean the maximum period. It's been awhile since I pored over those figures (ironically, when I was factchecking someone at a science website). Somehow I got the monitoring period snarled up with the incubation period. Thanks.

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:00 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen anything about it, but I assume that the folks with long incubation periods are the more dangerous ones in terms of pre-symptomatic spreaders. That is, if you develop symptoms after 3 or 4 or 5 days, there isn't that long a period you could have been infectious and not know it.
But if you are infected and don't get symptoms until Day 10, seems you'd have longer time walking around with a viral load you could spread.

But that's just logical guesswork. it could run different ways for a variety fo reasons. perhaps those who get symptoms early have way more viral load and so they are efficient spreaders even in a short window. Whereas those with less virus maybe are less infectious or less effective at spreading even over a longer period.

And I haven't seen research on when people become infectious. Probably stilla lot to figure out. Which is why testing should be ramped up and masks wearing and staying away from others should be practiced. It's not that hard.