Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

gromit
Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Songs My Brothers Taught Me (2015) was her first film set on the Pine Ridge Reservation.

Her 2020 film Nomadland stars Frances McDormand and David Strathairn about a woman who loses everything during the Bush Depression and sets out across the US in a camper van.
Nice cast.

And her Marvel comic film The Eternals is in post-production, starring Angelina Jolie and Salma Hayek. So if that does well, you can expect folks will start seeking out her early small indie films.

Hope I can catch a Chloe Zhao film (she grew up in London and Massachusetts). Sounds like she's an up and comer.

PS Notice how smoothly I opened a new page and segued into genuine recent (and future) films.

Last edited by gromit on Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:29 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:34 am Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
I'm watching "Da 5 Bloods" on Netflix (since the movie theaters are still closed) and this film (which is quite good) keeps sending me flashes of classic films, like The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Platoon, Apocalypse Now, all turned into a Spike Lee film. Also Three Kings. It's well worth watching. This film was apparently going to be an Oliver Stone film and I'm rather glad it wasn't.

Me too. Good movie, though the chronology had me wondering -- set in the present, so it's 50 years since these guys were in country, and they'd all be, what, around 70 or more? And all were robust enough that humping through tropic backcountry with heavy packs (which would be carrying back heavy bars of gold) was seen as a viable plan. One guy's got a bum knee, another looks like a heart attack in the making. OK, maybe the viewer can go with that because they must get their brother's remains out... and gold makes men crazy. But then the daughter revelation the medic has... how can she be 50-ish? Or mom be 70-ish? I mean, Oil of Olay and antioxidants only get you so far. And finally, how would Nam vets forget to be sweeping for mines? The son, who's just dated a minesweeping hottie, doesn't say a word about mines, even as they're searching for the gold, even as he walks off the road to relieve himself. I guess gold does make men crazy.

Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
i figured the daughter and mother were well-preserved. Not as bad as the villains in Inside Man, who would in their eighties at least.

You might have noticed that the actors are not de-aged when they play their younger selves, which was a deliberate decision on Lee's part. (It's because they are reliving memories.) Maybe the women benefited from the same time warp.

Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:25 am Reply with quote
The film version of “Hamilton” is sensational. I’d never seen the show but was skeptical of the hype. However, the musical is brilliant on every level, and as original as it’s been described—though not, if I may, the absolute groundbreaker it’s been called over and over. It’s merely (!) a great musical. Also a terrific history lesson, with many laughs and some serious tears along the way.
grace
Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:44 am Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
Any way to watch without subbing to Disney?

Unless the case is that you don't want to put any of your information in Disney's grubby little mitts, you could always sign up for the free trial - I think it's for 7 days - and then make sure you cancel. Possible added satisfaction points for telling Disney to go away/you don't like them? Just a thought.
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:08 pm Reply with quote
They're not allowing you to do the free trial for "Hamilton," and who could blame them? It would be like asking to be taken for a ride.
bartist
Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:51 am Reply with quote
Thanks, y'all. The spouse wants to see Ham pretty badly, so is buying one month of Disney and passing some information into their grubby little mitts (I have missed your posting style, Grace) I guess.

Regarding (SYD), the non-aging of the 5 Bloods characters in flashbacks to the war, I thought that was clever. It's like this big aspect of who they are hasn't really changed since that time. That's also underscored in the firecracker scene, in the present.

Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:42 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
Thanks, y'all. The spouse wants to see Ham pretty badly, so is buying one month of Disney and passing some information into their grubby little mitts (I have missed your posting style, Grace) I guess.

Regarding (SYD), the non-aging of the 5 Bloods characters in flashbacks to the war, I thought that was clever. It's like this big aspect of who they are hasn't really changed since that time. That's also underscored in the firecracker scene, in the present.

Actually, I think you and Syd are talking about two different things (he's talking about the non-DE-aging of the character, and you're talking about non-AGING). He's right, btw. (Sorry if I've misinterpreted what you said.)
bartist
Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:26 pm Reply with quote
No, I meant non de-aging, sorry. They are remembering the past as their older selves, but their older selves are still very connected to those youth experiences. I wrote very confusingly. And still am, possibly.

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:09 am Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
No, I meant non de-aging, sorry. They are remembering the past as their older selves, but their older selves are still very connected to those youth experiences. I wrote very confusingly. And still am, possibly.

Nah, you're cool, bart. But don't forget to take yer meds. Smile
billyweeds
Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:29 am Reply with quote
"Palm Springs" is a brand-new comedy with profound overtones streaming in Hulu, starring Andy Samberg and Cristin Milioti. It's delightful and intermittently depressing, as two strangers at a wedding find themselves forced to spend a lot of time together. It's a terrific movie.
Befade
Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I started watching it and was not only turned off by the opening sex scene but the dominance of the f word. As I continued to watch I couldn’t figure out if it was a variation of Groundhog Day without the groundhog.

I’m looking for less confusion during this pandemic. Not more.

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:45 am Reply with quote
Befade wrote:
I started watching it and was not only turned off by the opening sex scene but the dominance of the f word...

I would advise not watching Goodfellas, TBL, "Deadwood, " or "Ozark, " then. (unless you are objecting more to the context of the f word than the mere fact of its use) (my standard is that strong language has to be a plausible fit for a given character profile)

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:47 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
bartist wrote:

Nah, you're cool, bart. But don't forget to take yer meds. Smile

Awww, it's so much fun when I don't. All the strange lights and unearthly sounds...

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:05 am Reply with quote
Befade wrote:
I started watching it and was not only turned off by the opening sex scene but the dominance of the f word. As I continued to watch I couldn’t figure out if it was a variation of Groundhog Day without the groundhog.

I’m looking for less confusion during this pandemic. Not more.

Funny, because not only did I not notice that many F-bombs, but this is in some ways the perfect film for the lockdown. Two people are forced to spend time with each other. Another movie suited for the lockdown is "Vivarium," a horror film starring Imogen Poots and Jesse Eisenberg streaming on Amazon Prime. Again, two people forced to spend time with each other. It's quite disturbing but very well made. And features a child character who is quite possibly one of the creepiest ever.