Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

billyweeds
Posted: Mon May 11, 2020 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Syd is pretty active on Facebook.
bartist
Posted: Mon May 11, 2020 7:10 pm Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
I thought Judy was pretty terrific. Superb casting, nice pacing, authentic period look. In a way it's similar to Marriage Story, an actress divorced and trying to stay with her children. But with the addition of aging and broken dreams, addiction and doubts about if your talent is still intact.

Renee Zellweger is pretty fantastic. Actually it wasn't until 20 minutes in that I recognized/realized it was her. I really go into films blind and try to know as little as possible, except the basic plot and the perceived quality (so i can avoid clunkers).

The storyline is fairly familiar, a former star on the decline and trying to keep up appearances and hold things together despite dink and drugs. But it's all handled so well, that it's affecting and resonant. Impressive film, and I have minimal interest in Judy Garland or her music aside form the Wizard of Oz really. Goes right to the top of 2019 Films for me.

Whiskeypriest has a longstanding crush on Zellweger, which he attempts to conceal by referring to her as Squinty McPigface. I'm sure Judy will ratchet up the yearning even more.

Or maybe I'm just projecting.

Posted: Sat May 16, 2020 1:00 am Reply with quote
'
While theaters are closed, two extraordinary movies being streamed on VUDU are very worthwhile: "Never Rarely Sometimes Always" and "Portrait of a Lady on Fire", especially the former. Both directed by women.

bartist
Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Saw "Looper" which Gromit had described several years ago as a 12 Monkeys rehash that didn't work well. (both films star Bruce Willis, so I wouldn't be surprised to hear Bruce subsequently swore off doing time travel movies) I realized two things:

1. Almost no one really gets the paradoxes right in this trope. The ending is a fatal paradox which undermines the entire movie.

2. I'd seen the film back in 2011. It being bad, I had thoughtfully traveled back in time and told younger me to skip it. Younger me did skip it, causing my memory of the film to vanish, which means I never traveled back to warn younger me, which means....oh dear.

Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Coming soon!

https://youtu.be/T_RTnuJvg6U

Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:31 am Reply with quote
bartist wrote:

That's pretty hilarious. For some reason, I had never seen it.
Syd
Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I'm watching "Da 5 Bloods" on Netflix (since the movie theaters are still closed) and this film (which is quite good) keeps sending me flashes of classic films, like The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Platoon, Apocalypse Now, all turned into a Spike Lee film. Also Three Kings. It's well worth watching. This film was apparently going to be an Oliver Stone film and I'm rather glad it wasn't.

Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:48 pm Reply with quote
When I read a synopsis I thought of Three Kings, too. We are piggybacked on a Netflix account these days so will catch asap.

Finally saw Buster Scruggs, speaking of Netflix, and mostly liked it, though found darker storylines than I'd expected (even knowing its the Coens). The last one had a cool Twilight Zone sort of curtain drop.

The plot of "Meal Ticket" simply didn't have a leg to stand on. And ultimately sank like a stone.

Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Also references to [The Bridge on the River Kwai.

Melanie Thierry plays (very well, of course) a woman who heads a group that disarms landmines. Her character is named Hedy Bouvier, and the young David (son of one of the 5 Bloods) picks up on the name "Hedy" but I don't notice anyone picking up on the name "Bouvier."

Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:10 am Reply with quote
Very enjoyable filmed Broadway musical "Hamilton" on Disney Plus. Historically mostly, though not entirely, accurate. Excellent lyrics, all very well sung. A worthwhile opportunity for those who could not, like myself, get the tickets for the Broadway show.
bartist
Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:09 am Reply with quote
Any way to watch without subbing to Disney?

Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:24 am Reply with quote
Maybe Hulu, but I am not sure. There is a Disney+/Hulu/ESPN bundle but I do not subscribe to it.
billyweeds
Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:11 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
Any way to watch without subbing to Disney?

No, not as far as I know, but a monthly subscription is pretty cheap for a first-run first-rate movie.
gromit
Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:19 am Reply with quote
Bart, have you heard of these films:
Quote:

The Rider (2017)

Some of the best movies about America are being made by a director who didn't even live here full-time until after finishing high school. The immensely talented Beijing-born Chloé Zhao shot her first two feature films within the community of the Lakota Sioux tribe of the Pine Ridge Reservation, in South Dakota, the second of which is The Rider.

Though the film is fiction, Zhao uses nonprofessional actors and their biographies to inform her work; The Rider's star, Brady Jandreau, for example, is actually a horse trainer and rodeo rider (the YouTube video of his accident, which is the inciting incident of the story, is real, too). "The Rider melds two classic film genres — The Western, associated with the masculine, and the Melodrama, considered a feminine form — to offer contrasting perspectives on the life of the main character and the occupation he loves," writes Dismantle. "Through this juxtaposition the filmmaker presents the struggles of Indigenous communities who must navigate the limitations of toxic masculinity and its association with the racially violent mythology of the American West."

Excitingly, Zhao is reportedly also working on an adaptation of Nomadland: Surviving America in the Twenty-First Century — which, who knows, could one day be on this list for the next decade.

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:57 am Reply with quote
One of the best films of 2018. Audacious in its casting. Yes, familiar with the Jandreaus, and Brady's real life story. The real guy is a lot more focused and together than the version of himself he plays in the movie.

Side tidbit: when the horse (at a Fargo rodeo) stepped on his head, the wound allowed sand and horse manure to enter his brain and mix with the blood that was hemorrhaging inside. Nothing quite like the resilience of youth. A realtor I talked with recently is his cousin.

Many Lakota here have French surnames, and are often as proud of their French (fur trapper) heritage as their Lakota.