Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

carrobin
Posted: Tue May 12, 2020 2:28 am Reply with quote
Great photos. I wish I weren't allergic to cats--everyone on this floor of our building has a cat except me and a guy who has a dog. They're good for keeping the mouse population down.

Yesterday on the PBS news, they showed a number of pets that had been noticed by viewers when journalists were speaking from their homes. A lot of people wanted to know about the tuxedo cat who was fishing something from between the couch cushions, and the barking dog in another room....so much more intriguing than the usual plague and politics reports.

And there's a Scots sportscaster who has started making video clips of his two Labradors, Olive and Mabel, doing things he can turn into sports jargon. "Olive has the toy, teasing, very cool, Mabel has her eye on it, waiting...waiting...Yes! She makes her move!" One of the MSNBC anchormen shows them, but I hope the guy gets his own show.
bartist
Posted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:02 am Reply with quote
Nice pics. It was Ogden Nash who wrote, "the trouble with a kitten is that... "

We're down to one cat now, Diana Treadwell. Vlad moved to my daughter's house, lived to 17, then died this spring from the usual kidney failure that cats are so prone to. I'm slightly allergic, but as a cat lover I've decided to ignore it. The value of their companionship vastly outweighs an occasional itchy eye. Diana also gives me liver massages daily (she starts her milk-tread on the solar plexus, and then I gently shift her over to the liver) which keeps the bile ducts clear.

Missed PBS NewsHour last night, dammit. I wanted to meet Lisa Desjardin's cat. Will check the website.

Posted: Wed May 13, 2020 5:34 pm Reply with quote
For super good cat humor watch Kate McKinnon on SNL, April 25, You Tube: Whiskers are We.

Posted: Wed May 13, 2020 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Ha! Yes, captures those home-grown local ads for pet adoption.

On a quite different note....

https://www.facebook.com/john.st.john.face/videos/hilarious-only-the-irish-can-do-this/10157996104994795/

The first video is great.

Posted: Tue May 19, 2020 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
RIP Annie Glenn, widow of John Glenn, aged 100. She eventually, after many years managed to get her stutter under control and became a spokesperson for people with speech disorders. Seems to have been a wonderful person.

Posted: Tue May 19, 2020 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Yes. I had a mild speech impediment in my youth, and remember seeing Ms Deschanel's (Zooey's mom) rendition of the struggle in The Right Stuff and thinking I'd had it pretty easy. American culture, it's overall fast pace in more urban parts, seems to make things more challenging for some speech disorders. Sometimes a patient unhurried listener is helpful.

Posted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I had an extremely debilitating stutter until my mid-30s, which, mainly through psychological means, I managed to get under control and am now a professional actor. But I can very much identify with Joe Biden and other people who stutter. Did not realize that about Annie Glenn.
knox
Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:14 pm Reply with quote
[img]https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/102368567_856257554882018_7586950606203517941_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=qxMZbn8lEJoAX9-s79l&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=5e6521843d3253519877fbd32dba3bf6&oe=5F1215B1[/img]
knox
Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this place is running on some antique version of phpbb. Will try to adjust the image URL.
Syd
Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:48 am Reply with quote
Didn't realize the Belmont Stakes is running this weekend. This year it's the first of the triple crown so all the horses should be well-rested.

Hope everyone's wearing masks. Well, maybe not the horses.

Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:13 am Reply with quote
Today would have been Roger Ebert's birthday. One of my favorite things in the whole world is this review of the Ethan Hawke "Hamlet" in which Ebert quoted my song "I've Seen Shakespeare" to start the column. I am so honored.

https://web.archive.org/web/20000620030450/http://www.suntimes.com/output/ebert1/ham19f.html
carrobin
Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:23 pm Reply with quote
That's a great review--as well as a great opening lyric. Of course my favorite "Hamlet" is the Mel Gibson version with Alan Bates as Claudius (though it cut some of his best scenes, of course). Now I want to see Ethan Hawke's (I had no idea Bill Murray was in it).
Syd
Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:26 pm Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
Great photos. I wish I weren't allergic to cats--everyone on this floor of our building has a cat except me and a guy who has a dog. They're good for keeping the mouse population down.

Yesterday on the PBS news, they showed a number of pets that had been noticed by viewers when journalists were speaking from their homes. A lot of people wanted to know about the tuxedo cat who was fishing something from between the couch cushions, and the barking dog in another room....so much more intriguing than the usual plague and politics reports.

And there's a Scots sportscaster who has started making video clips of his two Labradors, Olive and Mabel, doing things he can turn into sports jargon. "Olive has the toy, teasing, very cool, Mabel has her eye on it, waiting...waiting...Yes! She makes her move!" One of the MSNBC anchormen shows them, but I hope the guy gets his own show.

I'm going to have to invest in a camera so my coworkers can see my cat's butt when we're doing Zoom conferences. Assuming he doesn't step on the keyboard and disconnect me. I probably should risk my life and get a haircut before then.

Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Syd, I hope you can avoid MAGA loons in the next few days, as they swarm out of an arena in Tulsa, spewing their hazardous blend of far-right memes and virus particles.

Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:52 pm Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
That's a great review--as well as a great opening lyric. Of course my favorite "Hamlet" is the Mel Gibson version with Alan Bates as Claudius (though it cut some of his best scenes, of course). Now I want to see Ethan Hawke's (I had no idea Bill Murray was in it).

I agree about the Gibson Dane, also my favorite screen Hamlet. My LEAST favorite Hamlet is the acclaimed, Oscar-winning, and crushingly dull Olivier version from 1948. My all-time favorite was the Broadway version starring Richard Burton. Wow.