Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

billyweeds
Posted: Mon May 11, 2020 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Syd is pretty active on Facebook.
bartist
Posted: Mon May 11, 2020 7:10 pm Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
I thought Judy was pretty terrific. Superb casting, nice pacing, authentic period look. In a way it's similar to Marriage Story, an actress divorced and trying to stay with her children. But with the addition of aging and broken dreams, addiction and doubts about if your talent is still intact.

Renee Zellweger is pretty fantastic. Actually it wasn't until 20 minutes in that I recognized/realized it was her. I really go into films blind and try to know as little as possible, except the basic plot and the perceived quality (so i can avoid clunkers).

The storyline is fairly familiar, a former star on the decline and trying to keep up appearances and hold things together despite dink and drugs. But it's all handled so well, that it's affecting and resonant. Impressive film, and I have minimal interest in Judy Garland or her music aside form the Wizard of Oz really. Goes right to the top of 2019 Films for me.

Whiskeypriest has a longstanding crush on Zellweger, which he attempts to conceal by referring to her as Squinty McPigface. I'm sure Judy will ratchet up the yearning even more.

Or maybe I'm just projecting.

Posted: Sat May 16, 2020 1:00 am Reply with quote
'
While theaters are closed, two extraordinary movies being streamed on VUDU are very worthwhile: "Never Rarely Sometimes Always" and "Portrait of a Lady on Fire", especially the former. Both directed by women.

bartist
Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Saw "Looper" which Gromit had described several years ago as a 12 Monkeys rehash that didn't work well. (both films star Bruce Willis, so I wouldn't be surprised to hear Bruce subsequently swore off doing time travel movies) I realized two things:

1. Almost no one really gets the paradoxes right in this trope. The ending is a fatal paradox which undermines the entire movie.

2. I'd seen the film back in 2011. It being bad, I had thoughtfully traveled back in time and told younger me to skip it. Younger me did skip it, causing my memory of the film to vanish, which means I never traveled back to warn younger me, which means....oh dear.