Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

Syd
Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:08 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Masks depend on the situation. I'm seeing some people with masks, including nurses and doctors, and the cashier at Sprouts was wearing one (and gloves too). They also have red lines to stand behind. People just going on walks don't wear masks in general.

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Here in NYC, it seems that about half the people I see on the street are wearing masks, but there's still an argument going on as to whether they should be required for everybody. All the grocery-store cashiers wear masks and gloves, and delivery guys usually wear them. It's a very quiet city at the moment.

The thing is, our seriously erratic national government hasn't stepped in to do its job, i.e., get the country organized. Each state is left to its own devices, so some are doing a lot better than others. Florida's Republican governor only today decreed that people should stay home (except for necessary work and groceries) and avoid large groups; New York has had that rule for a couple of weeks, and I think Washington and California had it earlier. Trump still won't take charge of the collection and distribution of vital items like ventilators and face masks; states are vying with each other for whatever's available. But Trump comes on TV every evening for a press briefing and brags about how the USA has been doing so well and will soon turn it all around. Nobody believes him except, I assume, his clueless Trumpers.
gromit
Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:01 am Reply with quote
It's really pathetic. There shouldn't be 50 rules. A chaotic response by the Chaos President.

The Guv of Georgia is claiming he just heard about asymptomatic carriers yesterday.

In Shanghai the voluntary lockdown kicked in during Chinese New Year when the city is largely closed and deserted anyway. Starting roughly Jan 23. During the next week most people were wearing face masks. And within a week, shops and buildings were starting to require a mask to enter. And then most were doing temp checks before allowing anyone to enter. Never a formal law, but a strong recommendation. Masks became obligatory. And most places required them for entry.

I'm astounded by how slow and disorganized the response has been in the US>.

And it's much more effective if everyone is wearing a mask.

Btw, on Jan 26 China reported to WHO that asymptomatic carriers could be contagious.
on the Diamond Princess cruise ship, it's estimated 1/2 the positives were asymptomatic.
For over a month it's been known/believed that presymptomatic people can be contagious before they develop symptoms. Now there's a belief that after symptoms are resolved, post-symptomatic folks can still be contagious for a good long period.

Which is why the directive that only sick people should wear a mask was absurd. If everyone wears a mask in public, then all contagious people will be masked in public. And everyone will have two extra layers of protection. Their mask and someone else's between them and any possible virus particles. The most basic common sense.

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:42 am Reply with quote
The main reason given for not wearing masks was that they're in short supply, desperately needed by medical personnel. Now there are people making their own cloth masks (the NY Times had an instructional article and diagrams a few days ago) and some are producing them for others as well. A costume shop that does theatrical outfits has been turning out masks and protective clothing for a while now.

One of the most idiotic things Trump has said lately was his complaint that medical personnel were so demanding about PPE (personal protective equipment). He commented that hospitals had been using an average of 5,000 face masks a month, and now Governor Cuomo was saying New York hospitals need 100,000 a month--but that made no sense, right? How could they be using 100,000 a month after they'd been fine with 5,000 a month? Somebody was hoarding them, or selling them out the back door. Then he told the journalists who had brought up the subject,"You people should be looking into that."

I've guessed at the figures mentioned because I wasn't taking notes, but that's the gist. One of the late-night comics said, "You know, it's really suspicious--some days everybody has an umbrella, and then the next day, nobody has an umbrella!" Trump probably didn't get it.
Befade
Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Have a N95 mask that was given to me in India because of the pollution. I haven’t worn it out yet because I’m not sure how to reuse it. My daughter in law just ordered 50 masks for $50 at Amazon. My niece who is a nurse is going to make one and wash it.

Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Reuse it simply by sticking it on your face again.
After a while get around to washing it.
After it dries stick it on your face again.

Actually I haven't used an N95 mask.
Though the cloth one I bought has a fold where you can insert filters that are supposed to keep out particles larger than 2.5 microns, which is better than the N95 (3 microns). 3 filters came with that. And I just wash the mask and filters. I can even just throw it in the washing machine.

I scented my surgical mask with fresh basil the other day, and got a nice fresh scent all day.

Last edited by gromit on Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:53 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Okydoky...that sound easy, Gromit. I have basil and lilacs.

Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:58 am Reply with quote
R.I.P. one of the first artists whose name I delighted in spotting--Mort Drucker. Yes, the Mad magazine cartoonist whose movie and TV parodies were in almost every issue I read as a teenager (and beyond). He was 91 (and "it is not thought that coronavirus was a factor in his death"). Somewhere I may have a couple of the more treasured issues stored away--unless I left them in S.C. and my mother tossed them when she moved.
Syd
Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I made it through less than ten minutes of Tiger King. What is the appeal of this series?

Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:55 am Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
I made it through less than ten minutes of Tiger King. What is the appeal of this series?

Damned if I know. I made it through 20 minutes and I envy you those ten minutes.
bartist
Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Most people involved with private big cat breeding and sale are abusive and exploitative scumbags. News sources like Mother Jones, Nat Geo and Sierra have done exposes on these redneck creeps. I would certainly have no interest in a documentary that seeks to make these people a source of entertainment. Unless said docu shows them becoming lunch for the cats. "There was a young lady of Niger... "

Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:19 am Reply with quote
This NYer piece on fascism, and a Yale professor who teaches how it works, is written by Andrew Marantz who, iirc, is Gary's nephew.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/studying-fascist-propaganda-by-day-watching-trumps-coronavirus-updates-by-night

Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I get the sense, from Befades post in Couch today, that my previous post is not the conduit to escapism some might be looking for. I know I'm starting to burn out on the news, too.

That said, do not seek refuge in The Killing of a Sacred Deer, a modern retelling of Iphigenia at Aulis. I really want those two hours back. Dreadful.

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:45 am Reply with quote
I don't care for Yorgos Lanthimos films much. Sacred Deer was kind of a bore, and got rather silly/stupid. The premise for The Lobster starts off silly/stupid and then tries to patch a serious movie around that dystopia. A better film than Sacred Deer, but still tried my patience.

Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I saw your review from a couple years ago. Similar to my impressions. I had moments of wondering if it was some clever satire and I was missing the clues. But even the oddest satire has to mount characters that are in some way believable. And these weren't. Will see The Lobster, mostly because I am so perplexed by the director's whole style.