Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

Syd
Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:24 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
BEWARE THE IDES OF MARCH*

*Unless you're Donald Trump, in which case you should pay a visit to the Senate.

Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand why folks in America don't wear masks in public. I certainly would if I were a cashier or other customer service person interacting with a large number of people. Or just to go into a busy store.

And gloves are a good idea too. I didn't buy any surgical gloves, but just put on my thin winter gloves when I go into the supermarket or a big box store. The weather just turned to Spring today (66 degree) and for the next week plus will be warm even flirting with low 70's. So I might need to figure out a new glove idea. Maybe some light work gloves.

Seems sensible to take precautions. Apparently my hometown is up to 3 cases, and my parents still don't even have masks. They went for regular doctor checkups last week. I told them they should have asked for a couple of facemasks. Can't be too hard to stop at a pharmacy and buy some. Maybe I'll buy some online and send it to them.

Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Word is that masks here are in short supply (though I see people wearing them) and aren't really necessary for nonmedical personnel without symptoms; it's the person who might spread symptoms who should wear one. I haven't seen any advice about wearing gloves, only about washing one's hands (which is better than hand sanitizer if done thoroughly)--though it seems a common-sense idea.
gromit
Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Anybody breathing should wear a mask in any semi-crowded area.
Anyone showing symptoms should self-quarantine and shouldn't be out in public. Very lax in the USofA, with plenty of bad advice.

A shortage of masks three months into a major pandemic (and two months after first cases in US) is pathetic. In China I bought one heavy duty mask for $3.50 that came with three insertable filters. It's washable and indeed I just toss it into the washing machine. Friends have given me some lightweight masks which are more breathable and useful, but less effective.

Best understanding is that it takes an average of 5.5 days between infection and before symptoms appear, and during that incubation period it is believed the virus can be transmitted. Also it is believed that asymptomatic cases are also capable of transmission. So waiting for symptoms to appear before wearing a mask is far too late and far too lax. You should protect yourself against others who might be infectious.

Unbelievable the pics of large crowds bunched together in US airports awaiting health screenings on arrival. How absurd and counter-productive is that? The US really needs to get its act together. A lot of folks are going to become ill unnecessarily and some will die needlessly from the lack of preparation and ongoing poor advice and implementation.

Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:36 pm Reply with quote

They're not sure what percentage of asymptomatic cases are able to spread the virus.

Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm having to work at home this week and I picked up a couple of weeks worth of food and cat food, so I'm covered. I go to Sam's every few months and pick up a big package of rolls of toilet paper so I'm covered.

Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:07 pm Reply with quote
We live in a place prone to severe blizzards so we've always got canned goods, pasta, Clif bars, crackers, that kind of thing. Neither of us much care for canned food, so usually when it gets to within six months of expiration date, I haul it to the Food Bank, then replace it by the next October.

Burdock leaves make good toilet paper.

Our area is near a large AFB, Mt Rushmore, Wind Cave, Devil's Tower, and dozens of tourist traps that draw visitors from all over the world, so things are getting pretty locked down. If tourist season fizzles this Spring it will be a major blow to the local economy.

A weird effect, personally, is that I've stopped using drinking fountains and, not being a bottled water fan, come home pretty thirsty. I really wasn't aware how much water I was drinking. Might have to fill a canteen...

Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 02 Aug 2004 Posts: 1359 Location: Way Down Yonder.......
The current conditions have again reminded me of a TV movie I saw, probably in the 1970’s. It told of a not too distant future in which the US restricted couples to one child, seniors were not allowed medications for chronic diseases (diabetes, etc.), and the country was divided into travel restricted sections. Citizens needed something like passports to travel from between sections.

I have googled different actors as I cannot remember for certain just who was in it, with no success. It seems to me that it was someone like either Frederic March or E. G. Marshall playing the senior citizen Senator, perhaps someone like Ryan O’Neal playing the young husband.

Help! If anyone has any idea what the movie is, please let me know.

Thanks. Smile
Syd
Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:13 pm Reply with quote
It's a tv movie from 1971 called "The Last Child."

Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Never saw it. I remember that period (being an impressionable adolescent) having many dystopian films with similar themes. As I remember it, Paul Ehrlich wrote his bestseller The Population Bomb, and then there was a whole slew of overpopulation movies.

Not one of which, AFAICT, addressed the core problem of European derived capitalism (which grew from Dutch mercantilism) which is its requirement of endless growth.

Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 02 Aug 2004 Posts: 1359 Location: Way Down Yonder.......
Syd wrote:
It's a tv movie from 1971 called "The Last Child."

Thank you! What with all the chaos happening now, this movie kept coming up in my mind. I can easily see present events devolving into that scenario. Ugh.
gromit
Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:34 am Reply with quote
Just post your address and we'll send some men right over with your door prize ...

Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:39 am Reply with quote
Good work, Syd!

On another film site there's a whole Name that Film thread, and it's impressive how quick people figure out a film title from some vague remembrances.

As for 1971 dystopian films, The Omega Man with Heston was always a favorite of mine. A plague wipes out most of mankind, except some mutants and a few unaffected.

Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:10 am Reply with quote
That one I remember. Based on the story "I am Legend" by the late great Richard Matheson.

Logan's Run offered the most effective solution to overpopulation and some sly commentary on the cult of youth. And Peter Ustinov as Crazy Old Cat Guy. That could be you in 20 years, Bo.

Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:51 am Reply with quote
Hey BILLY!!

What's life like in NYC these days?

How the hell did you transform into Wuhan?

I'm really angry these days about the complete f-up in all aspects of limiting the virus. Unreal just how far down the tubes America is these days.
Everything that is being done now should have been done a month or two ago.
Unreal that people don't wear masks in the USofA.

Hope your safe.
Tell us what is going on there??