Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

bartist
Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:48 am Reply with quote
Lady Wakasa would be pleased. IIRC, her enthusiasm for Korean film was such that she would travel to Pusan for their film festival. Have no opinion on the winner until we get round to seeing it.

Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Masks are mandatory here if you want to enter any if the few shops open. I was out for a few hours yesterday and had my forehead temp scanned twice and my wrist once, just to be admitted into an office building and a Carrefour.

To enter apt buildings and alleyway communities, you need to show your ID and have your name and ID recorded. That way if any case occurs in that housing area, they know which outsiders entered in the past few weeks, and can quickly contact trace them.

China doesn't do things halfway.

Most folks I know are working from home. Even though the extended holiday has ended, most places I know don't plan to open until Feb 20 or later, and even that is provisional.

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I didn't follow A-scam-edy Awards this year, but...did Dark Waters not get any nomination at all?? A brief googling says no. Oscar and I are so over.

Still haven't got round to Parasite, but started watching Bong's earlier Korean-language film "Mother," which I guess I was in no mood for and bailed after about 40 minutes. Seemed utterly preposterous and silly and I just couldn't see the point at all.

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:31 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
I didn't follow A-scam-edy Awards this year, but...did Dark Waters not get any nomination at all?? A brief googling says no. Oscar and I are so over.

Still haven't got round to Parasite, but started watching Bong's earlier Korean-language film "Mother," which I guess I was in no mood for and bailed after about 40 minutes. Seemed utterly preposterous and silly and I just couldn't see the point at all.

I haven't seen "Mother," but people love it. People tend to love most of Bong's films with a passion I can't understand. I think he's okay but nothing more. I agree that "Dark Waters," Mark Ruffalo, and especially Bill Camp were robbed.
Syd
Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
bartist wrote:

Try Memories of Murder. It's his best film.

Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:11 pm Reply with quote
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/feb/28/giving-millionaires-the-boot-why-cahier-du-cinema-editors-quit-en-masse

Sacre merde!
Syd
Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:48 pm Reply with quote
You know, after watching all these Oscar bait films, I think the best film of the year was the film that won for animated short, "Hair Love."

Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:14 pm Reply with quote
File this under How the Holy F--- did I not know this: Jack Nicholson's sister was, in fact, his mother. A passing mention of this apparently well-known story in a New Yorker article is the only reason I now know this. What's ridiculous is that, from the mid-seventies on, Jack was one of my favorite actors. But somehow I'd never read any bio material on him. Odd that he learned, not from any deathbed disclosures (both his mother and grandmother had died) or from his aunt, but from a magazine reporter. Worth a wiki read, if any of you are unfamiliar with the details.

Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:23 pm Reply with quote
She's my mother [Slap!] She's my sister [Slap!]

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:32 am Reply with quote
Jake Gittes did spring to mind. Hehe. And maybe Frank Costello in The Departed, "I don't want to be a product of my environment; I want my environment to be a product of me."

As to the question of whether his biological father was the Italian fellow or the Latvian fellow....look at a picture, would be my answer.

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:49 am Reply with quote
I didn't know that about Nicholson, but I guess everyone knows that Bobby Darin's "sister" was actually his mother, which was rather traumatic for him when he found out.
gromit
Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:11 am Reply with quote
That used to be a thing when people had more children and an unmarried teenage pregnancy was socially unacceptable, while contraceptive use and abortion access was limited. Just pretend Mom popped out another kid, and let the naughty daughter mostly continue on with her life as a teenager.

It's funny, we often here of this in terms of the son who thought his real mom was his sister, and grandma was his mom. I don't think I've ever heard the story from the point of view of the girl who gave birth and gave up her claim to motherhood. I guess since the girl is likely 15-17 years old, she can do a lot of the baby care without arousing suspicion. But I've never heard that perspective, with her son/daughter calling grannie Mother, and always worried the child will find out, or when to tell him/her.

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I know a great one in fiction, but it also is a big spoiler. In one episode of "Decalogue"

Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Everyone staying healthy?

Everyone still wears a mask in public in Shanghai.
Temp checks when you enter some food stores, but that has receded.
Things getting back to normal, but still a lot of precautions. China recorded 11 official new cases in the last 24 hours. I don't think Shanghai has had a new case in over a week.

My hometown in NJ -- about as international as it gets with 1/4 Indian and 1/4 assorted East Asian; and a regional big box shopping magnet -- had its first case last week. Reportedly, someone recently returned from a cruise. I'm trying to persuade my 80 year old parents (Mom 79; Dad 82) to take precautions. Especially since my father has had a recurring respiratory issue (nagging cough) the past 3 years.

Trying to impress upon them that this new virus could bump one or both off. I'm encouraging them to wear a mask when they go to the food and petfood stores, which are always crowded. I even wear my thin winter gloves when I'm in the Carrefour or supermarket. Masks and gloves also remind you not to rub your nose or eyes, and I have a fair amount of allergies, so tend to do that a good deal. So my other rec is to carry tissues and use them to touch your face.

Hope everyone is staying safe. Using sensible precautions.

Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:35 am Reply with quote
I had a long-delayed checkup last week, and my doctor told me it was a good thing I wasn't coughing, because she'd been instructed by a colleague that anyone who requested an appointment for a cough would have to go to the hospital ER (since her office evidently doesn't have the test yet). I feel worried about just coughing normally in public because of the anxiety that's developed here, especially since the Broadway shows, sports events, and some schools have shut down. The grocery stores are full of people and lacking in products, as everyone seems to anticipate being quarantined at some point. It's lucky, at least, that I'm working from home these days.