Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Film Squawks: 10-Second Reviews on Current Film

billyweeds
Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Meanwhile, "Parasite" is a unique film, starting as a high comedy and transmogrifying into several different genres before ending powerfully and momorably. I thought it was the first Bong Joon-ho movie I'd ever seen until I realized I'd already seen two others, "Snowpiercer" and "Okja," neither of which I liked in the least. So this is the first Bong I've admired. But admire it I did.
bartist
Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:26 am Reply with quote
Had a houseguest with Netflix, so we watched The Laundromat, Soderbergh's Panama Papers project.
(I have a streaming stick in the back of the tv for such situations)

Given the high bar set by The Big Short for explanatory films, I wasn't expecting too much and wasn't much surprised to see its formidably talented cast underused, though with some funny moments and occasionally witty bits of 4th wall removal where Banderas and Oldman explain how shell companies work. But it mostly feels rushed and poorly developed.

Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Having absolutely loathed The Big Short, I much preferred the far-from-great The Laundromat.
bartist
Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:28 am Reply with quote
I think I know regular posters here well enough to sometimes get a feel for what films they would loathe, but I'd have to rewatch TBS to plumb the hate for it. I recall kind of enjoying.

I will say The Laundromat made me fully aware that we'd have zero national debt, if everyone just paid the taxes on all their income and wealth.

Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:02 pm Reply with quote
"The Big Short" was about a subject well-known to many but certainly not to all, and the jargon went right past me. I haven't felt so out of touch with a movie since "Syriana" dealt with the Mideast in a way you'd have to be an expert on the subject to grasp.

"Short" was also too kinetically directed for me. Jump cuts galore.
Syd
Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
billyweeds wrote:
"The Big Short" was about a subject well-known to many but certainly not to all, and the jargon went right past me. I haven't felt so out of touch with a movie since "Syriana" dealt with the Mideast in a way you'd have to be an expert on the subject to grasp.

"Short" was also too kinetically directed for me. Jump cuts galore.

I thought Margot Robbie explained it very well in her bubblebath.

Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:09 pm Reply with quote
The Call of the Wild. When the Wild calls, it calls collect.

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I like my dogs analog, so I won't pick up the phone this time. The 90s version with Rutger Hauer is the best one that I'm aware of. Chuck Heston publicly requested that people stay away from the theater, not see his version in the 70s, Haven't seen the 30's original version.

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Summer of Soul (...or When The Revolution Could Not Be Televised) is Questlove's labor of love to document the 1969 Harlem Cultural Festival, which preceded Woodstock by a month and was the truer examination of the sociopolitical shift the year after Dr. King's assassination. Both a documentary and a concert film, it succeeds on more levels than most scripted films do; the talent, from a 19-year-old Stevie Wonder to Sly and the Family Stone to a magisterial Nina Simone and back again, is electrifying; and the use of actual witnesses to the event is inspired. And then, hello, it's got a great beat and you can dance to it. Essential, ineffable, inimitable, and indelible.

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:43 am Reply with quote
Yesterday So if you woke up and discovered the Beatles had never existed, the world would mostly be exactly the same?