Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

billyweeds
Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I have seen "1917" and liked it well enough, though not nearly as much as several other movies this year. The photography and editing are great and, as Gromit noted, the acting is much better than it's given credit for. But emotionally the movie is rather barren and therefore comes off largely as a show-offy vehicle for director Sam Mendes, one of my less favorite filmmakers.
bartist
Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:11 pm Reply with quote
We're seeing it in a couple days. It was Syd, BTW, not Gromit who just posted comments.

Looks like there are two death row films out ATM, but the one we want to see more, Clemency, isn't the one at the local plex. But Just Mercy also looks pretty good, so we may try to catch it before it leaves town.

Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:46 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
We're seeing it in a couple days. It was Syd, BTW, not Gromit who just posted comments.

Looks like there are two death row films out ATM, but the one we want to see more, Clemency, isn't the one at the local plex. But Just Mercy also looks pretty good, so we may try to catch it before it leaves town.

Your instincts are correct. Clemency is a work of art. Just Mercy is borderline cheesy by comparison, though not actually bad.
Syd
Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Saw Parasite which is very funny in the early parts, had me riding the bucking bronco for a long time, and eventually bucked me off. Beautifully directed (by the director of the wonderful Memories of Murder), but I think he eventually lost control of his material.

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:00 am Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
Saw Parasite which is very funny in the early parts, had me riding the bucking bronco for a long time, and eventually bucked me off. Beautifully directed (by the director of the wonderful Memories of Murder), but I think he eventually lost control of his material.

Agreed.
Syd
Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:07 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
bartist wrote:

Your instincts are correct. Clemency is a work of art. Just Mercy is borderline cheesy by comparison, though not actually bad.

Mediocre, though, and definitely cheesy.

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:37 am Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
billyweeds wrote:
bartist wrote:

Mediocre, though, and definitely cheesy.

Yes, and I think its cheesiness has caught up with it. It's a forgotten item in the award sweepstakes. Sadly, "Clemency" is also forgotten, along with its world-class lead performance by Alfre Woodard.
Syd
Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Marc informs me "Marriage Story" is streaming on Netflix, so I'll get to see it before the Academy Awards.

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Didn't know anyone was still in touch with Marc. Would he ever want to drop by?

Daughter let us log in to her Netflix account and we saw MS, liked it as an acting showcase. When I commented on it back in December, I pinpointed a couple perfs that stood out, but later came round to thinking everyone was terrific.

Noah and Greta seem to be quite the directorial power couple.

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm constantly in touch with Marc on Facebook. We almost always disagree on films. He liked "Joker" and didn't like OUATIH. That says it all. But I still like Marc...a lot.
Ghulam
Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:19 am Reply with quote

Is "Judy" streaming on any of the streaming services?

I saw Almodovar's "Pain and Glory" on Google Plays. Excellent movie.
billyweeds
Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Ghulam wrote:

It, and Banderas's overrated performance, put me into a deep slumber.
Syd
Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:29 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Ghulam wrote:

It, and Banderas's overrated performance, put me into a deep slumber.

But I liked it and my taste is, of course impeccable. (Though Banderas isn't the outstanding performance in the movie.)

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Unlike Billy I didn’t think Clemency was a work of art. I have been against capital punishment for as long as I can remember. Dead Man Walking was a powerful message against it. Of course you can’t nonchalantly put another human being to death. Was Alfrie Woodard’s character just waking up to this fact? Bernie makes the point that other advanced countries provide health care for all and we don’t. Nobody talks about the fact that those countries don’t have capital punishment and we still do.

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Befade wrote:
Was Alfrie Woodard’s character just waking up to this fact?

Absolutely not. It was obvious that she had been through several executions and was simply at the end of her emotional rope. Woodard's acting made this crystal clear.