Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

Befade
Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Syd......Almodovar, himself wears bright colors (Banderas wore his clothes). And his apartment is like the one in the movie. Apparently the director has a very bubbly, social personality but actually suffers constant back pain, etc.

No one has seen Waves? It’s a really good film.

Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I plan to see "Waves." I saw "Pain and Glory" and was severely underwhelmed. It's okay but little more. And Banderas, who still looks "mah-velous," was IMO only okay as well. His underplaying literally put me to sleep at one point.
Befade
Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:44 pm Reply with quote
The aftertaste of Pain and Glory was strong.

Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
billyweeds wrote:
Syd wrote:
By the way, I consider Brad Pitt in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Christian Bale in Ford v. Ferrari to be lead performances. (Films can have more than one lead.) My best supporting performance is Asier Etxeandia in Pain and Glory.

I haven't seen FvF but Bale is nominated for the SAG award as a lead. Pitt is obviously being positioned as a supporting actor, which IMO is ridiculous. If there ever were a movie with two leads, it's "Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood."

My best supporting actor is Bill Camp in "Dark Waters." He's brilliant.

He has an incredible presence in the film.

Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Richard Jewell is an excellent film which is inexplicably bombing at the box office. Paul Walter Hauser seems just about perfect in the title role, and Kathy Bates and Sam Rockwell are also excellent as Jewell's mother and his lawyer. Olivia Wilde is a bit off as Kathy Scruggs, the reporter who conveyed the FBI leak. There's some justified controversy in this role which portrays her as getting the information through coming on to an FBI agent (or several since the FBI agent is a composite character). She's still a villain in the case, though whoever leaked that Jewell was a suspect is more of one. It's not mentioned whether she ever issued a retraction for her role in making Jewell's life a hell. Since she died in 2001, it's a bit late.

Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Too much competition at the box office. This film ties into the Malcolm Gladwell book “How to talk to Strangers”. And could be compared to the Amanda Knox case which he writes about. How easy it is to misjudge someone because of superficial characteristics: “He lives with his mother. He wants to be a hero in law enforcement, etc. A lesson.

Posted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:29 am Reply with quote
I read the Newsweek article at the time and realized that using the same sort of logic, I could have been painted a suspect in the Oklahoma City bombing (except I didn't own a car at the time). There were probably a million people in the US with the same profile. The author of the article probably didn't intend it to, but it went a long way to convincing me that Jewell was innocent.

Posted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:25 am Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
I realized today that I was confusing "Dark Waters" which I want to see with "Underwater."

"Dark Waters," which is a wonderful movie, is saddled with a mindlessly generic title.
billyweeds
Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:47 am Reply with quote
"Ford v Ferrari" is a highly entertaining racing film with nice performances by Matt Damon and Christian Bale and a very funny scene from Tracy Letts. It's the largely true (I guess) story of Ken Miles (Bale), who helped develop and then drove (notably at Le Mans) a racing car for Ford in the 1960s. Damon is the former racing champ who sets the plan in motion. It's not all that deep (not that it should be), but it's well directed by James Mangold and the racing sequences are exciting.
gromit
Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:10 am Reply with quote
My father did a lot of business with Ford. There was even a period from the mid 70's to mid 80's where Ford gave him a company car to use. Actually it was 3 new cars per year, each for 4 months. My father is into cars, at one time owning a pink Corvette in the late 50's. Can see an old late 50's car and tell you the model and year at a glance just by the taillights and other features.

Since my folks don't have a Dvd player nor a Netflix subscription, I guess the only way he'll see Ford v Ferrari will be on cable Tv. Will that get to cable at some point? What's the turnaround time before a popular box office film like that makes the cable rounds?

Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:10 am Reply with quote
Has anyone seen It’s Such a Beautiful Day (Don Hertzfeldt).
Looks quite interesting, with a stick figure guy going through all of life's turmoil.

Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:59 pm Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
My father did a lot of business with Ford. There was even a period from the mid 70's to mid 80's where Ford gave him a company car to use. Actually it was 3 new cars per year, each for 4 months. My father is into cars, at one time owning a pink Corvette in the late 50's. Can see an old late 50's car and tell you the model and year at a glance just by the taillights and other features.

Since my folks don't have a Dvd player nor a Netflix subscription, I guess the only way he'll see Ford v Ferrari will be on cable Tv. Will that get to cable at some point? What's the turnaround time before a popular box office film like that makes the cable rounds?

Depends. Could be six months. Could be longer.
gromit
Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Thx. I thought it might be 6 months plus. I just want to keep an eye out so i can steer him to it when it gets on cable.

Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Marriage Story seemed pretty real, even if the fracturing couple moved in circles most of us don't. The film is certainly a showcase of naturalistic acting, and (my earlier kvetching about Netflix aside) deserving of The Academy's attention. I'm coming around to my daughter's and her friend's view that Adam Driver is an acting god. Laura Dern and ScarJo also amazing.

Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Anyone here seen American Factory? The first film from Higher Ground (Barack and Michelle's new film production company).

David Edelstein of New York Magazine wrote: "It’s a great, expansive, deeply humanist work, angry but empathetic to its core. It gestures toward the end of the working world we know – and to the rise of the machines."

Seeing ASAP.