Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

billyweeds
Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:59 am Reply with quote
Believe me, I wanted to love "Motherless Brooklyn." I'm a great admirer (though not exactly a "fan") of Edward Norton, the star-writer-director of this noir wannabe set in the 1940s and acted by a stellar supporting cast, including my RL and FB friends Nelson Avidon and Julie Hays. The film tries to capture the style of period noir like "The Big Sleep" and attempts to do for NYC what "Chinatown" did for LA, making Alec Baldwin (as a fictionalized Robert Moses) stand in for John Huston in the Polanski classic. Norton is a "gumshoe" with Tourette syndrome tracking down the killer of his mentor. It could have been a slam-dunk.

The cast is terrific, notably including the always-great Willem Dafoe, the extremely talented Gugu Mbatha-Raw, the aforementioned Avidon (whose face in a crucial last-minute shot provides enormous pleasure), and not least of all Norton himself, handling his tricky role with aplomb.

But Norton the director tries too hard. The effort shows. The self-consciousness of his period trappings, the hard-boiled dialogue, the moody music, the slow pace, the twisty, borderline incomprehensible plotting, all conspire to take one (or at least me) out of the movie and into a meditation about a writer-director overthinking his material. It's not terrible by any means, but it's what I usually term an "interesting failure."
gromit
Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:31 am Reply with quote
I've heard basically the same.
While some feel it's a disaster.

Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:31 am Reply with quote
So Star Wars Part Infinity is opening.
As is Cats.
I think that's some smart counter-programming.
For those not inclined to SW, Cats will appear more family and female friendly.

I've actually never seen a Star Wars film,
I've seen some random clips and enough parodies to have a rough idea of things, at least in the earlier stages.

I somewhat meant to pick up say the original Star Wars Trilogy, the Terminators, Indiana Jones, and other famous franchises I never watched.
That is before the Dvd stores shut down here.

As for Cats, it was on Broadway so long that even I saw it, back in 1987 I believe. I saw a trailer a couple months ago, and thought it looked weird but fun. The CGI and costumes seems to be mostly unpopular.

If I can find a dvd store, I'll give Cats a go. But have zero interest in the new Star Wars. I'm way too behind and uninterested.

Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:39 am Reply with quote
I am so happy that "Cats" is getting some of the worst reviews of the year. I cannot describe how thoroughly I loathe that show. I was afraid that the movie would capture a huge audience. But if the reviews are any omen, it's not going to happen. YAY!!!
billyweeds
Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:36 am Reply with quote
Okay, I still have to see a few contenders--Christian Bale in "Ford v Ferrari," Taron Egerton in "Rocketman," and Jamie Foxx in "Just Mercy"--but I'm laying down bets that neither Bale, Egerton, nor Foxx will change my mind. So here are my Best of 2019 picks at the movies.

BEST PICTURE: "Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood"
(Runners-up) "Uncut Gems," "Us," "Marriage Story," "Her Smell"

BEST ACTRESS: (tie) Elisabeth Moss, "Her Smell," Lupita Nyong'o, "Us"
(Runners-up) Renee Zellweger, "Judy," Cynthia Erivo, "Harriet," Scarlett Johansson, "Marriage Story"

BEST ACTOR: (tie) Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt, "Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood"
(Runners-up) Adam Sandler, "Uncut Gems," Adam Driver, "Marriage Story," Mark Ruffalo, "Dark Waters"

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Margot Robbie, "Bombshell" and "Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood"
(Runners-up) Julia Butters, "Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood," Margaret Qualley, "Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood," Laura Dern, "Marriage Story," Janelle Monae, "Harriet"

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Bill Camp, "Dark Waters"
(Runners-up) Keanu Reeves, "Always Be My Maybe," Joe Pesci, "The Irishman," Christopher Plummer, "Knives Out," Steven Weber, "The Perfection"

BEST DIRECTOR: Quentin Tarantino, "Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood"
(Runners-up) Josh and Benny Safdie, "Uncut Gems," Jordan Peele, "Us," Noah Baumbach, "Marriage Story," Alex Ross Perry, "Her Smell"
bartist
Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:20 am Reply with quote
Due to traveling the past week, and multiplex delays, we haven't seen Bombshell or Her Smell or Just Mercy or Marriage Story, but hope to catch up. Uncut Gems had a trailer that didn't excite me or the SO, but will investigate further. Don't see Egerton or Bale as contenders much, but YMMV. (I guess "your mileage may vary" is an apt phrase for any perf in Ford v Ferrari)

Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:25 am Reply with quote
We did see Zorba on a motel tv, on TCM, last night. Spouse had never seen it, and I'd largely forgotten it. Will comment later in Couch.

Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing that two of the movies figuring on my "best of 2019" list are unfamiliar to most friends. But they are well worth seeking out. And the seeking is a snap if you subscribe to Netflix. (They're both Netflix originals.) "Always Be My Maybe" is that rare item, a romantic comedy that is both romantic and funny. And Keanu Reeves, playing a weird version of himself, is absolutely brilliant.

Meanwhile, "The Perfection" is the kind of horror movie that gives the genre a good name. Allison Williams and Logan Browning are both superb in the double-leading-role as two competing violinists. Both would be runners-uo in my actress sweepstakes if I made it ten instead of five. But Steven Weber, in a dynamite supporting role, does make my cut. This is a horror movie that my wife and I actually watched two nights in a row. I could be persuaded to go for Round Three. It's that good. But warning: it's not for the faint of heart.
Syd
Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:09 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12889 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
My best would still be the awesome documentary Apollo 11. My best fictional film would probably be Blinded by the Light, though I loved Ford v. Ferrari. Best actor would be Pitt, but if he's reduced to supporting, then it would be Christian Bale. Actress, surprisingly enough, is Jillian Bell for Brittany Runs a Marathon. Somehow I don't think she's going to win an Oscar, but she's terrific.

By the way, I've seem three films this year about Apollo 11: The documentary Apollo 11, First Man, and Armstrong. another documentary commissioned by Neil Armstrong's family which is frankly like watching home movies. Hopelessly amateurous. See Apollo 11.

Last edited by Syd on Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:25 am Reply with quote
It’s so hard to keep up this time of year.....Christmas gets in the way. I’m not drawn to Adam Sandler movies but I guess Uncut Gems deserves a view. I saw and liked Richard Jewell. Went to see Dark Waters and it’s showing was canceled for guess what? star wars. I watched the debates and I’m intrigued with the idea of a thriller in a wine cave.......

Today I saw Pain and Glory and thought Antonio B. very moving. I had a negative reaction to the color scheme. For an introspective, depressing mood there were way too many bright colors: reds and greens and purples and bold prints. Nothing neutral. Nothing tertiary.

Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:29 am Reply with quote
I'm going to see "Richard Jewell" tomorrow. "Star Wars" may wait a few days. I liked "Pain and Glory" a lot too, but more for the supporting performances. Almodovar may have trying to make some kind of point with the bright colors. I'm sure it's deliberate. Maybe that the situation is not as depressing as the protagonist makes it?

Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:42 am Reply with quote
By the way, I consider Brad Pitt in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Christian Bale in Ford v. Ferrari to be lead performances. (Films can have more than one lead.) My best supporting performance is Asier Etxeandia in Pain and Glory.

Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:45 am Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
By the way, I consider Brad Pitt in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Christian Bale in Ford v. Ferrari to be lead performances. (Films can have more than one lead.) My best supporting performance is Asier Etxeandia in Pain and Glory.

I haven't seen FvF but Bale is nominated for the SAG award as a lead. Pitt is obviously being positioned as a supporting actor, which IMO is ridiculous. If there ever were a movie with two leads, it's "Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood."

My best supporting actor is Bill Camp in "Dark Waters." He's brilliant.
bartist
Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:10 pm Reply with quote
He looked vaguely familiar, then I realized he was the detective in The Night Of. Also outstanding there.

Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I realized today that I was confusing "Dark Waters" which I want to see with "Underwater."