Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

bartist
Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:18 pm Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
Hey Bart, maybe you can delete that extra large NOBODY CARES up above, as it causes the page margins to be all out of whack....

Gladly. Posted on an Android, where it didn't affect margins and showed up smaller.

Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:39 am Reply with quote
And then your next post starts a new page . . .

But actually I found it hard to read your prior post on the previous page, and not being in a persevering mode gave up. And now it's normal and readable.

Also I was disappointed because I thought you were going to be a Dr. Katz fan too. I should link to one of the better episodes.

Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Given how much I liked Bob Newhart, and that amazing ensemble on his show, it's quite possible I'm a Dr. Katz fan. My father was also a Bob N. fan, and had particularly liked his one-sided phone conversations that were part of his standup routines before he had the tv series.

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Here's a good Dr. Katz episode, featuring Dave Chappelle and Ray Romano. I like the WWII bicycle story. Btw, the secretary Laura is voiced by Laura Silverman, Sarah's older sister. This is about the only episode I've seen where she takes an interest in anything, however perverse.

Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Wow funny stuff. The thing about terrorists not kidnapping black people. The electric bike that actually resists your pedal strokes when the motor kicks in. Ray Romano's bug shtick. Thanks for linking this.

Laura is no Marcia Wallace, for sure.

Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:15 am Reply with quote
"Let's face it. Black people are bad bargaining chips..."

White people all panicked on a hijacked plane and the lone black passenger thinking: Nobody gives a shit about me. So I'm fine.
And trusting his fate to statistics.

Some Dr. Katz jokes that stuck with me from last week:

"Uncle Phil was a very worldly man . . . if that's what incontinent means"

One comedian/patient:

"Today I had 5 cups of coffee before my first cup of coffee.
You see, I don't start counting them until 9:30."

(Dr. Katz has a lot of coffee jokes)

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:59 am Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
Just a quick nod, taciturn 3rd Eyers, to David E. Kelley and yet another great series from him, "Big Little Lies." It's remarkable how he takes themes and plot setups that could easily devolve into high-grade trash and makes real drama and social commentary bloom from them. And with considerable help from the formidable cast, which includes Laura Dern, Shailene Woodleigh, Reese Witherspoon, Nicole Kidman. Though I was initially prepared to hate the show, I was quickly drawn in by Witherspoon's rendition of a suburban mom as Tracy Flick All Grown Up. The tone starts out suggesting we are in for satirical comedy, but in the next four episodes darkens as we learn of the violence that lies in some of the characters pasts and present marriages. There are still plenty of comedic moments, but the show moves beyond just poking fun at helicopter parenting and the rigors of affluence. Great stuff.

So glad you like BLL, which IMO is a great show. I've never been a Nicole Kidman fan in the slightest, but she is absolutely fantastic in this series. As is everyone else. The second season devolves into soap opera a bit, but the Streep performance elevates it, too.
gromit
Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:13 am Reply with quote
I like Kidman a good deal.
She chooses interesting projects and is willing to take risks.
Not everything works. But plenty does.
I'd have to look through her filmography, but Rabbit Hole is a standout.

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:05 pm Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
Rabbit Hole is a standout.

That's definitely true. So is To Die For. But otherwise, I'm underwhelmed or worse. Until BLL, in which she is brilliant.
bartist
Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a big Kidman fan, but not a detractor either. BLL makes me want to forgive her for Dogville and Eyes Wide Shut. This is "far and away" her finest performance, hehe.

Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Big Little Lies is going to have a 3rd season.

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:45 pm Reply with quote
The Silence, a four part BBC miniseries from 2011, has some fine performances which are not entirely undercut by a sloppy plot and weirdly truncated ending. The lead, an 18 year old girl who is deaf, but has recently gotten a cochlear implant, is well done by Genevieve Barr. She is witness to a horrific murder, and traumatized to the point where she cannot at first tell anyone in her family what she's seen. (Barr is deaf, in real life, which I hope will not overly limit her acting opportunities)

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Finally remembered to tune into '"Doctor Who" tonight, having forgotten till now that the new season had started (and having less interest in the new Doctor than in the previous two, though she's doing fine, managing the edgy combination of whimsy and peril with the usual Doctor-style humor). It did occur to me that "Doctor Who" features more gay characters than any other show I've kept up with. Also, its ecological plotlines have become a bit preachy, though with enough adventure to keep one watching. I can't help wondering how the target demographic reacts (I'm about forty years past that slice of audience). Fortunately it didn't overlap with "Sanditon," the new Jane Austen-based miniseries that I found a bit ambitious in its efforts to be both Regency and contemporary, but I'm really enjoying it. I read the book years ago--Austen never finished it, but someone else did, and it worked well enough, but I don't remember much about it otherwise.

I did find some moments to look into the Super Bowl, and caught a little bit of the half-time show and a couple of super commercials. Love the dancing horse.
bartist
Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:13 am Reply with quote
I had some doubts on Sanditon, also for the attempts to merge then and now, but have been watching with the spouse who seems committed to it. I will continue to stay by her side, but have this nagging sense of characters who are there more to be Austenian than to develop much of a plot dynamic or arc.

Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:34 pm Reply with quote
The end of Sanditon is absolute garbage. Austen would never end things that way. Did the writers all go on strike halfway through the final episode? My wife is livid. I am disgruntled. Only the cats remain unscarred by this complete abandonment of denouement.