Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

Ghulam
Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:04 pm Reply with quote
knox wrote:
Ghulam,

I read your link and responded to it.

I liked your observations. I do not think either Tarantino or Dr. Hart consider the detoxification gimmicks to be anything more than "temporary emotional salves". Pleasurable fantasies work in fairytales for adults if presented well.
Befade
Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I have one theory and I seem to be the only one here who hated the ending. My theory is that Tarantino was not giving “the ending that everyone wanted “
He was giving the ending that would show all the viewers how clever, brilliant, and genius Quentin Tarantino is. Well, he is all those things but he likes violence too much.....and nobody these days should stand for too much violence.

Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:40 am Reply with quote
Speaking of, I tried watching Inglorious Basterds last night and got right about to the same point as before and packed it in. I didn't like anything about the film. Boring.

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:21 pm Reply with quote
'
Lulu Wang's "The Farewell" is a delightful little family comedy centered around a special relationship between a granddaughter living in New York and her terminally ill grandmother living in China. The humor derives mostly from differences in attitudes of the two cultures in matters of illness and death. Shuzhen Zhao, who plays the grandmother, and Awkwafina, as the granddaughter, are marvelous. It lacks the shallowness and glitz of "Crazy Rich Asians", but is more satisfying because of its humanity.

billyweeds
Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:19 pm Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
Speaking of, I tried watching Inglorious Basterds last night and got right about to the same point as before and packed it in. I didn't like anything about the film. Boring.

Very hard to grasp that you didn't even like Christoph Waltz's brilliant (and deservedly Oscar-winning) supporting performance. I liked (not loved) the movie, but Waltz's work blew me away.
Syd
Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
billyweeds wrote:
gromit wrote:

Very hard to grasp that you didn't even like Christoph Waltz's brilliant (and deservedly Oscar-winning) supporting performance. I liked (not loved) the movie, but Waltz's work blew me away.

It has two of the tensest scenes I've ever seen in a movie: the opening, and the scene in the restaurant.

Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I thought Waltz was cheesy and almost a parody.
I found it a poorly conceived role, played poorly.

Didn't like the film's casting at all.

Can't think of one thing I liked about the film.
Even the title is stupid.

Fwiw, I have Jackie Brown cued up next.
I seem to recall liking some scenes and having a middling reaction to the whole.

Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:44 pm Reply with quote
<moved>

Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:47 pm Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
I thought Waltz was cheesy and almost a parody.
I found it a poorly conceived role, played poorly.

Didn't like the film's casting at all.

Can't think of one thing I liked about the film.
Even the title is stupid.

Seldom have I so utterly disagreed with a single post.
Syd
Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Blinded by the Light is a wonderful and mostly joyous coming-of-age film of a Pakistani English boy named Sarfraz Manzoor who wants to escape his family's expectations and become a writer, leading to conflict with his father who is trying to raise his children to match his expectations. This is mostly set in 1987 Thatcherian England, with rising unemployment (part of the conflict is from Sarfraz's father getting laid off), and racism and anti-Muslim bigotry, epitomized by the National Front. 16-year-old Sarfraz is turned on to Bruce Springsteen by what seems to be the only other Pakistani student in his class, and immediately is inspired and obsessed, finding that Springsteen speaks to him personally. In the process, he finds himself becoming estranged from his family. He also finds first love with Eliza (a lovely Nell Williams), an English girl who may be partly motivated by rebellion against her bigoted father but more by Sarfraz's poetry and news articles. Sarfraz's enthusiastic creative writing teacher is played by Hayley Atwell, who played Peggy Carter in the Captain America movies and in the Agent Carter TV series. She's probably the biggest name here.

The movie is adapted from Sarfred Manzoor's autobiographical Greetings from Bury Park: Race, Religion and Rock N’ Roll and directed by Gurinder Chadha, who also directed Bend It Like Beckham and Bride and Prejudice. It's one of the best films of the year.

Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:55 pm Reply with quote
The Peanut Butter Falcon is nowhere near as good, and has the review tagline "The sweetest darn movie of the decade," which sounds like an invitation to diabetes. But anyway, Zack is an adult with Downs syndrome who is obsessed with joining a wrestling school he has learned about from an old video. He's been living at a retirement home (in North Carolina) for years since he has no family, but is assisted in escape by his elderly roommate through the use of leverage from mathematical skills, and the use of grease to slip through the bars. This leaves Zack fleeing wearing nothing but underpants. (I was greatly relieved when Zack gets more clothes.)

Zach takes refuge on the fishing boat of Tyler (an unrecognizable Shia La Boeuf), an unlicensed crab fisherman who loses his stolen catch and burns the equipment of his enemies. Tyler recognizes a kindred lost soul and eventually decides to help Zack on his quest. In a parallel plotline, Zack's lovely caretaker Eleanor (Dakota Johnson) has been sent to find the escaped--well, not exactly prisoner, inmate--and eventually is persuaded to join in the quest. In the process, of course, the three of them bond. And they do finish the quest, of course, and the result is naturally much less than expected but also unexpectedly ugly.

Not a great movie, and not a movie I would ever have seen if I had seen a preview, but it's different and well-acted. The 95% rating on Rotten Tomatoes is mysterious; 50 - 60% is more like it. And "The sweetest darn movie of the decade" in my opinion is "Cowgirls 'n Angels, which is much better (or Blinded by the Light.)

Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:18 am Reply with quote
Saw “Ready or Not” on a whim. What a surprise. It’s an adrenaline rush—horrific and hilarious. Silly as all get-out: a young woman marries into a wealthy family that performs a ritual with anyone who crashes the clan—a ritual that sometimes turns weird and nauseatingly gory. Guess what happens here. No wedding night was ever like this. The Three Stooges and Troma Entertainment meet Masterpiece Theatre. And... there’s Andie McDowell, currently more famous as the mother of Tarantino “Pussycat” Margaret Qualley. Fun, fun, fun.
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:35 am Reply with quote
"Don't Let Go" features an excellent performance from the great David Oyelowo but little else. As time-travel movies go, this is no "Back to the Future" to put it mildly. A girl and her family are murdered and her police detective uncle gets a cell phone call from her. So far so good, but what happens when and to whom gets increasingly muddled. It's a so-what.
bartist
Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:05 pm Reply with quote
RoN sounds like some inspired insanity, with Hugo (The Matrix) Weaving's niece starring. And Manson girl's mom, yes. Didn't know they were related, but I can see it now. Will look for it. Ah, it's here, in stixville.

Can't find Blinded by the Light anywhere in a 400 mile radius, so may have to wait. For now, we'll be dancing in the dark...

Don't Let Go - mmm, I had enough trouble with temporal logic watching "Frequency." A film rescued by the emotional pull of the father/son story. DLG would be a maybe for me, the balance possibly tipped by a willingness to see Oyelowo do his thing.

Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:32 am Reply with quote
For the longest time, I didn't know that the song Blinded by the Light was written by Bruce Springsteen. Somewhat odd since I grew up in NJ.
But nobody I knew was into Springsteen. Though I did have one group of friends who were fans of Southside Johnny & the Asbury Jukes. And I did see Clarence Clemons and his Red Bank Rockers live once.

A couple years ago, I was supposed to see Manfred Mann and the Earth Band in an ancient Roman theater in Plovdiv, Bulgaria. But the concert was cancelled, apparently due to poor ticket sales. Was a shame, as I targeted that date to be there, and the Friday and Sunday night concerts went on, part of what was supposed to be a 3-day rock concert weekend. Different bands different night, so it's also possible Manfred Mann just cancelled for whatever reason. Even worse, the Roman Theater was closed since all the equipment was on or around the stage, and even the view inside was blocked off with posters and tarps. You could just peep in slightly, whereas normally it was a significant tourist site in its own right that you could enter and stroll through.

I know zilch about the film Blinded by the Light, but you probably guessed that by now. This post is just an homage to Gary, where I go solipsistic and relate things to my life and of course talk about a film I haven't seen.