Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Film Squawks: 10-Second Reviews on Current Film

Syd
Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Watching "The Cuckoo's Calling." A few tiny changes, but faithful and absorbing. It's nice to see this done right and Comoran and Robin are very well cast.

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:53 pm Reply with quote
The Lion King worked better in traditional animation, and the remake suffers from being too slavishly devoted to the original. Still, "Circle of Life" is magnificent.

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Watched Dude, Where's My Car? at a friend's house. That was a painful movie which oddly reminded me a bit of "The World's End," like how much more I'd rather be watching the latter.

Also, the live-action Dumbo, which is better than I expected, and is definitely not a faithful remake. For one thing, the animals don't talk in this one, so the people carry much of the dramatic load. (In the original only Dumbo couldn't speak.) Second, since the original was only about an hour long, this one is expanded by adding an entire new plot covering the second half of the movie.

Last edited by Syd on Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Never saw any of it, except a few minutes where Data is a French ostrich farmer. Stoner movie is a challenging genre to do well.

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:33 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
Never saw any of it, except a few minutes where Data is a French ostrich farmer. Stoner movie is a challenging genre to do well.

We were trying to figure out who played Mark (the guy in the cage). It was Andy Dick.

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Watching Buddy (1997) cured me of any ambition I might every ever have of raising a male gorilla (or female gorilla, for that matter). It also cured me of watching movies about people who raise male gorillas.

Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:20 am Reply with quote
Pity Frederick C. Trump couldn't have been cured of that ambition, early in his life.
bartist
Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:38 am Reply with quote
Recent views:

Long Shots - a sweet political satire with a Trump-like idiot president and Charlize as secretary of state who decides to run for president after the idiot opts not to run. Seth Rogan helps her rediscover her inner idealist. Some crude sexual humor, much fun poked at the media circus, and very funny moments when a gonzo journalist tries to breathe in more rarified social circles.

Us - weird sci-fi and horror in service of an existential drama about our shadow selves. Somehow reminds me of Walter Mosely's brief sci-fi period (Blue Light, The Wave, Futureland). Quite disturbing, with a few light-hearted moments, but not really a dark comedy in the sense that Get Out was. I liked it, but not as much as Get Out.

(just found the "Us" chat back in March.... I didn't see a Trumpian divided America metaphor right off, but it could work as one for sure. The symbolism took me in a more Jungian direction. )

Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:44 pm Reply with quote
The Danish film, "The Guilty," is a remarkable piece of single-set storytelling, as a cop, temporarily on 911 (it's 112 in Denmark) duty handles a difficult emergency call. Complex and disturbing truths emerge. Absolutely stellar acting.

As is typical with excellent Scandinavian films, Hollywood wants to remake it in English, with Jake G. Don't miss the original.

Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:23 am Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
The Danish film, "The Guilty," is a remarkable piece of single-set storytelling, as a cop, temporarily on 911 (it's 112 in Denmark) duty handles a difficult emergency call. Complex and disturbing truths emerge. Absolutely stellar acting.

As is typical with excellent Scandinavian films, Hollywood wants to remake it in English, with Jake G. Don't miss the original.

On it. Tonight! Thank you so much. This sounds like precisely my cup of akvavit.

Well, maybe not tonight--just scored a pair of tickets for "Parasite," which sounds incredible. But this weekend for sure.
bartist
Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:10 am Reply with quote
I hope you enjoy it. The star, Jacob Cedergren, also played a Copenhagen cop in the darkly funny and Coenesque 2008 film, "Terribly Happy."

Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I really liked "Terribly Happy."

Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:08 am Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
I really liked "Terribly Happy."

Gotta catch this one.
bartist
Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Watched parts of The Guilty again. I want to slightly amend my initial comments. It is more than remarkable, it is a truly great movie. I think Hitchcock would have loved it. I have no doubt the director of TG has seen Rear Window and drawn some inspiration there. The skill with which Moeller lets the action, happening out of view, only heard through the phone, play out in our heads is the kind of skill to be found in the greatest directors. I would add it to a list of 20 best films of the century so far.

BW, i understand you had two tickets to Parasite. Makes me think of Eddie Money.

Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:51 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
Watched parts of The Guilty again. I want to slightly amend my initial comments. It is more than remarkable, it is a truly great movie. I think Hitchcock would have loved it. I have no doubt the director of TG has seen Rear Window and drawn some inspiration there. The skill with which Moeller lets the action, happening out of view, only heard through the phone, play out in our heads is the kind of skill to be found in the greatest directors. I would add it to a list of 20 best films of the century so far.

BW, i understand you had two tickets to Parasite. Makes me think of Eddie Money.

Saw "The Guilty" today and have to agree with you. Spoiler alerts restrain me from discussing it fully, but as you say, it's truly remarkable and Hitchcock would have loved it.