Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

chillywilly
Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Reading the replies here. If we did close the site, a complete backup of it would be made, per chance it could one day come back online. This backup method also works for moving the site's content to another hosting provider.

If we do move it to another hosting provider, they are all similarly priced per year (which is the cheapest option - month to month is too costly for most of the hosting services I've looked at). The hosting services I use - 1and1 and Dreamhost are both $120 per year, which is what Hostdrive (formerly Mia.net) charges us per year.

This last round of hosting fees was for 3 months, which was $30 (I was able to talk them into keeping the monthly cost at the yearly rate). The domain registration was $40 per year. We can save money by moving the domain registrar to someplace cheaper. For that, I need to have Marc's approval at the time of the move. Most of the domains I have are on MyDomain, which is anywhere from $13 a year to $20 a year.

Where my limitation comes in is admin privileges. That falls to Lorne. I was never granted user rights and admin level access. We would need his help to at least grant someone else the rights to manage the users, including all of the bot created users that need to be cleaned up.

Befade
Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I would like to know:

Billy.....How is Gary now?
Bart.....Where are you living now?

I was thinking......someone could pitch a movie about a film forum with a lot of very interesting characters and a lot of dramatic interactions among them. A movie about a prestigious newspaper with forums on many subjects. Where the participants on the film forum sometimes acted up with the resulting ban of their presence. The banter. The heated exchanges. The domineering voices. Their lives. Their painful divorces. Their marriages. What happened to them all?

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I was checking out the member list and we've had 103 people who have posted here at least once. I'd say keep them and remove the rest.

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Love Befade's idea--I'm already casting it. There would be an older actor, like Billy, and a young dancer, like the girl who lived next door to me for a while, and a writer or two, and at least one musician, and a New York bus driver, and a journalist, and a chef...maybe a guy in a wheelchair who watches neighbors from his window, and a sarcastic British professor, and (name your favorite movie character here).
The possibilities are endless (editing would be tough).
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:49 am Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
Love Befade's idea--I'm already casting it. There would be an older actor, like Billy, and a young dancer, like the girl who lived next door to me for a while, and a writer or two, and at least one musician, and a New York bus driver, and a journalist, and a chef...maybe a guy in a wheelchair who watches neighbors from his window, and a sarcastic British professor, and (name your favorite movie character here).

Sounds like a great idea but I can't find the original post by Betsy. Where is it?
carrobin
Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:03 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
carrobin wrote:

Sounds like a great idea but I can't find the original post by Betsy. Where is it?

Just above--posted yesterday at 6:03.
Befade
Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:08 pm Reply with quote
The more I think about it, the more sure I am that it’s a great idea. You’d see the characters at their computers.....then you’d see some of them meet each other.

The New Yorkers: Marge, voice overs
Billy, actor
Wade, dachshund owner
Carol, the editor

The Writers: Marilyn, Chicago
Gary, Winnipeg, taxi driver in NY, painter in Paris

The Musician: Marc, Taos, Austin

Remember Xerxes? Remember the all night rants? The drama?

I wish I could write it.

Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm thinking a Netflix series....
Befade
Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:54 pm Reply with quote
I think Netflix has too many original series. I like Hulu or HBO.

Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:08 am Reply with quote
Befade wrote:
I think Netflix has too many original series. I like Hulu or HBO.

Saw the original post. A series is a great idea, and there are many other platforms beside the three mentioned already.

About Gary, I know nothing past what I said already. His son Dylan said he's in some kind of facility, assisted living or something like that. Don't know how far the condition has progressed so far. Maybe I should call Dylan again and find out.
Befade
Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Billy......What would you do with this idea going forward?

My stepmother died of dementia after a year or so. She just stopped eating. Alzheimer’s patients can live a lot longer because they don’t stop eating.

Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:28 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
How much is the annual fee? I can probably pay for it if you don't mind me owning the website.

Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:02 am Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
How much is the annual fee? I can probably pay for it if you don't mind me owning the website.

Go for it!
gromit
Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:35 pm Reply with quote
It'd be best if you can tie up the loose ends.

That is, get the domain registration out of Marc's name.
Get the admin privileges out of Lorne's hands.
And get whatever needs to be transferred from Chilly.

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Just dropped by to say, Josh, the mod at Elba, got back to me and said he'd be glad to add a couple more film threads for y'all. Whisky, me, Gromit, and Bart already post over there.

If Syd is going to buy Third Eye, great, but now you've got a plan B. And I see Chilly has said 3Eye would be archived if it does go inactive.

Cheers.