Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

bartist
Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:10 pm Reply with quote
James Holzhauer is a devastating Jeopardy competitor. Be interesting to see him go up against the great Ken Jennings. He seems to have that intuitive knack. I'd stopped watching a few years ago, but admit I'm fascinated.

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:09 pm Reply with quote

Last edited by bartist on Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:21 am Reply with quote
Kudos to Emma Boettcher for taking down the seemingly invincible Holzhauer. I watched her play, as new champ, last night. Not as impressive as Holzhauer (whose seeming inability to ever supply a wrong answer had me going in a "Quiz Show" direction for a few paranoid moments), but she might have a pretty good run. Interesting that her Master's thesis (she's a reference librarian) was an analysis of Jeopardy questions as they ascend in dollar value.
Syd
Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Looks like "Instinct" is distinguishing itself by breaking my heart.

Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to hear that. Unless you're into the whole heartbreak thing. I have missed Alan Cumming since The Good Wife concluded a couple years ago, so I'm tempted to see what he's done with a procedural.

CBS ran an episode of their web series The Good Fight (sequel to TGW) last Sunday, which I watched. Meh. Still not tempted to subscribe to All Access just to see that and ST Discovery.

Not that mushroom-powered warp drives are totally without interest.

Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:58 am Reply with quote
Finally caught up with "Good Omens" on Amazon Prime. I've had AP for more than a year and never got around to watching any videos, but I was determined to catch GO--I remembered the Pratchett-Gaiman book as being the funniest novel since "A Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy," and with the ineffable David Tennant as a demon...well. So finally, I managed to fit in two three-episode binges (and it was hard to stop for that middle break, believe me).

It's pretty much perfect in every way. Tennant as the charmingly creepy Crowley and Michael Sheen as the teddybear-huggable angel Aziraphale turn the tale of approaching apocalypse into a buddy comedy, meeting in the Garden of Eden (Crowley was the serpent, Aziraphale the guardian with the fiery sword) and progressing through history, helping each other out of trouble in neat little vignettes while keeping the guilty secret of their friendship from their supervisors (Jon Hamm as Gabriel is strict but fair, and so well dressed). The plot has to do with the switch of the infant AntiChrist with another baby that goes awry in a demonic hospital and the resulting confusion during the crucial months before the arrival of Armageddon (I especially liked the Hellhound), and how the independence and curiosity of kids can overwhelm even the devil himself. Even when it got a bit preachy, it was still great fun. So English--echoes of Harry Potter and "Hitch-Hiker's Guide" and Monty Python and Doctor Who, though there were even a couple of moments that reminded me of Denny Crane and Alan Shore on the office balcony with their cigars and whiskey at the end of "Boston Legal" episodes. All good stuff, fun to think about, delightful to watch. Oh, and Frances McDormand is the voice of God.
bartist
Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:27 am Reply with quote
"Killing Eve" is a hoot. Darkly funny and subverting the usual spy-action tropes in often unpredictable ways.

Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:44 pm Reply with quote
The "Country Music" series by Ken Burns has me watching in spite of the fact that I hated country music when I was growing up in South Carolina in the '50s; my mother's family was into music generally (my grandmother was a piano teacher), but my dad came from cotton mills territory and his favorites were the kind of songs heard in "O Brother, Where Art Thou." He used to tease my sister and me by howling "There was a wreck on the highway, but I couldn't hear nobody pray." It wasn't until Johnny Cash became mainstream that I started enjoying it (what can I say, I'm a sucker for songs where somebody shoots a man in Reno just to watch him die). Burns' series gives me some insight into the history, which is fascinating.
carrobin
Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:45 pm Reply with quote
"The Good Place" starts its final season Thursday night. I'm looking forward to finding out how they wrap it up, but I hope the fun doesn't end too quickly.
Syd
Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I got my copy of "The Living Planet" on DVD, which unfortunately does not have closed captions, but what strikes me is that the BBC has essentially been remaking this series for years with "Planet Earth", "Planet Earth II" and "Life" with much better photography, which is like saying your new book is better because it has a nicer typeface. "The Living Planet" and its predecessor, "Life on Earth" (which inexplicably doesn't seem to be on Region 1 DVD, and doesn't seem to have been remade, though it should be) are superior because they were written by David Attenborough himself, as well as "The Life of Mammals" and "The Life of Birds," and each has a coherent vision which the late BBC spectaculars do not.

Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:15 am Reply with quote
"The Missing" season one is a spellbinding mystery. You will struggle not to binge-watch. A UK couple's son disappears while they are on vacation in France. Jumps deftly back and forth between present day and eight years ago, when the boy went missing. Plotting, acting, writing: uniformly excellent.
carrobin
Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Every time my favorite non-dog commercial pops up, I wonder what Billy thinks of it--the "struggling actor" doing a Liberty Mutual ad. Much more fun than the emu or the fortune teller.
bartist
Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:15 pm Reply with quote
knox wrote:
"The Missing" season one is a spellbinding mystery. You will struggle not to binge-watch. A UK couple's son disappears while they are on vacation in France. Jumps deftly back and forth between present day and eight years ago, when the boy went missing. Plotting, acting, writing: uniformly excellent.

Yes.

Try "True Detective," season three, the one with Mahershala and Stephen Dorff. If you liked The Missing, 99.999% chance you will really like this.

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Just a quick nod, taciturn 3rd Eyers, to David E. Kelley and yet another great series from him, "Big Little Lies." It's remarkable how he takes themes and plot setups that could easily devolve into high-grade trash and makes real drama and social commentary bloom from them. And with considerable help from the formidable cast, which includes Laura Dern, Shailene Woodleigh, Reese Witherspoon, Nicole Kidman. Though I was initially prepared to hate the show, I was quickly drawn in by Witherspoon's rendition of a suburban mom as Tracy Flick All Grown Up. The tone starts out suggesting we are in for satirical comedy, but in the next four episodes darkens as we learn of the violence that lies in some of the characters pasts and present marriages. There are still plenty of comedic moments, but the show moves beyond just poking fun at helicopter parenting and the rigors of affluence. Great stuff.

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Hey Bart, maybe you can delete that extra large NOBODY CARES up above, as it causes the page margins to be all out of whack.

Othersowise, I've been watching Dr. Katz Professional Therapist on youtube. Initially it ran from 1997-2005 on Comedy Central.
I never heard of it before, but it's quite amusing.

Basically it's a cartoon update of The Bob Newhart Show.
You have a low-key balding comic psychiatrist. A redheaded secretary doing her own thing. But they've replaced Emily with a slacker son.

Instead of regular patients, Dr. Katz tends to have two stand-up comics as patients each week and they go off on stand-up type riffs.
I guess it dawned on someone how much 90's comedy was observational and confessional humor, and that it was a lot like therapy.
It's a nice little showcase for comics of the day.

Again, replicating how Bob & Emily are low key and normal, so everybody around them -- Howard Borden, Mr. Carlin -- needs to be a bit wacky. A show centered around a straight-man family.

I like how the father and son are similar and attuned to each others wavelength. And then there's Laura the secretary, who is sullen and unhelpful, and everyone hits on nonetheless. She'd undoubtedly be a terrible date, but males overlook that since she's a looker.

It's a fun show, with a lot of weird ideas from the standup patients.