Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Couch With A View

billyweeds
Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:03 pm Reply with quote
And featured two all-time worst performances by future Oscar winners Natalie Portman and Gary Oldman. Oldman later confessed that viewing his performance in "Leon" led him to get sober.
Syd
Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Some of the films I've walked out of:

About Schmidt
Peter Pan (the live action one. What is it about that story that makes it seem like child molestation.
Crazy/Beautful (if nothing happens in the first half hour, nothing's going to happen).

More acclaimed films that were being shown for free so I had no stake in: Amarcord and the 400 Blows. Less acclaimed was something concocted out of bits of lost silent films that was supposed to convey artistry and was tedious in the extreme. Remember that scene in The Music Man where the mayors wife and company are doing the Grecian Urns? Like that, but silent and incoherent.

Also, the Coen brothers version of The Ladykillers, which I got to see projected on a trailer in a parking lot. Despite which I could tell it was a piece of excrement. (To be fair, I don't like the original that much, either, despite my love for Ealing comedies.)

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I have deliberately avoided the Coens' Ladykillers, knowing in advance that I would despise it. Also never really liked the original, featuring one of Alec Guinness's rare less-than-great performances and a big role by one of my least favorite "great" actors, Peter Sellers.
gromit
Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Leon is kind of bad, but seemed to me like standard type of dreck. But Oldman is hugely awful in that.

I like Blue. Easily my favorite of that trilogy. The opening car crash is terrific. I disliked Red which seems to be most people's favorite. Thought Red was a total snooze and almost deliberately boring.

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:25 am Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
Leon is kind of bad, but seemed to me like standard type of dreck. But Oldman is hugely awful in that.

I like Blue. Easily my favorite of that trilogy. The opening car crash is terrific. I disliked Red which seems to be most people's favorite. Thought Red was a total snooze and almost deliberately boring.

I liked White the best, which puts me in a distinct minority.

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:33 am Reply with quote
I seem to remember walking out of "Flower Drum Song," only one of several horrendous movie versions of Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals. "The King and I" is actually a good movie, and "The Sound of Music" is watchable. but the (IMO) best of all R&H musicals, "Carousel," became one of my all-time-worst movies thanks to awful direction and terrible casting, and "South Pacific" was over-inflated and, again, badly cast.

One of the worst mistakes in screen history was the failure to cast Doris Day as Nellie Forbush in SP, a role Day was absolutely born to play. Mitzi Gaynor was flavorless in the part. But the worst thing about that movie was the color filters. When I interviewed Richard Rodgers for the Yale Daily News, he bemoaned that choice and said, and I quote, they "turned Mitzi into a saffron idiot."

"Oklahoma!" is not quite as horrific, but it suffers from elephantiasis, obviously taking its cue from the lyric "the corn is as high as an elephant's eye."
bartist
Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:12 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
And featured two all-time worst performances by future Oscar winners Natalie Portman and Gary Oldman. Oldman later confessed that viewing his performance in "Leon" led him to get sober.

LoL. I am also a Leon loather. Have only seen Blue, of the tricoleur trilogy, and recall very little of it, so y'all have piqued my interest in a re-view.

A fairly awful film I recently viewed was the Toby Maguire abomination, "The Details." The search function here probably will have trouble with such a common word, but I imagine anyone here who got through it issued dire warnings of severe cerebral scorching. Concerning Dennis Haysbert's role in that film, I would certainly understand if he made a giant pile of the film DVDs and had a bonfire on the screenwriters lawn.

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:43 am Reply with quote
I'm more or less in agreement will Billy on Rodgers and Hammerstein in the movies, but they did create a musical around our future state song. I haven't seen State Fair. Is it good? There's two versions.

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I haven't seen State Fair. Is it good?

No.

If you mean the one most people my age have seen somewhere in their childhood, with Bat Poone and Ann-Margret. Early sixties. Pretty dull stuff.

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:00 am Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
Quote:
I haven't seen State Fair. Is it good?

No.

If you mean the one most people my age have seen somewhere in their childhood, with Bat Poone and Ann-Margret. Early sixties. Pretty dull stuff.

On the remake with Ann-Margret, I agree. The original, with Jeanne Crain, Dana Andrews, Dick Haymes, and Vivian Blaine, is tuneful, sweet, and totally charming--an almost total delight, with two great, great songs, "It Might As Well Be Spring" and "It's a Grand Night for Singing."

Crain and Andrews were reunited years later in...wait for it..."Hot Rods from Hell." How the mighty had fallen.
carrobin
Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:43 am Reply with quote
While my TV was down and I was catching up with DVDs I hadn't gotten around to watching, I pulled out the original "The Italian Job" and enjoyed it--Michael Caine at his '60s peak, Noel Coward (of all people) as the prison warden, Benny Hill as a wacko computer genius. Those were the only actors who were familiar to me, but everyone seemed to be having a good time. There was an "extra" on the DVD featuring the three getaway cars and three police cars "waltzing" in an open-air concert space, delightfully choreographed, but quite rightly jettisoned as irrelevant to the chase. Now I suppose I should see the Mark Wahlberg version--my friend David might trade disks with me.
bartist
Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:08 am Reply with quote
You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:35 pm Reply with quote
It happened again, this afternoon. And this time I called Spectrum/Time Warner right away. I talked with another customer service woman, who had me try a few buttons and finally told me that I should probably call Toshiba, since it seemed to be the TV and not the cable. But I told her it had been resolved last weekend and worked fine until now. She put me on hold for a few minutes and then came back and told me to unplug the TV, then plug it back in. That's not easy, as the outlet is behind a tall set of shelves, but I managed to pull it out and then, with the help of a flashlight, plug it back in. Push TV, push Power--and it came on.

Next time I'll try that first.
carrobin
Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:38 pm Reply with quote
My TV blinked and died again, this afternoon. And this time I called Spectrum/Time Warner right away. I talked with another customer service woman, who had me try a few buttons and finally told me that I should probably call Toshiba, since it seemed to be the TV and not the cable. But I told her it had been resolved last weekend and worked fine until now. She put me on hold for a few minutes and then came back and told me to unplug the TV, then plug it back in. That's not easy, as the outlet is behind a tall set of shelves, but I managed to pull the plug out and then, with the help of a flashlight, plug it back in. Push TV, push Power--and it came on.

Next time I'll try that first.
Syd
Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Clearly she was meant to work for the IT Department.