Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

Syd
Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Oscar predictions, with my choice, if any, in parentheses. I'm expecting to bat less that 50% this year since I haven't seen many of the nominated film, including Vice and Bohemian Rhapsody.

Picture: Roma (BlacKKKlansman, I guess)
Director: Alfonso Cuaron. Roma (same)
Actor: Rami Malek, Bohemian Rhapsody, I guess (no favorite)
Actress: Lady Gaga, A Star Is Born (same)
Supporting Actor: Mahershali Ali, Green Book. (Adam Driver, BlacKKKlansman on the grounds this should go to a SUPPORTING actor. But both were great)
Supporting Actress: Regina King, If Beale Street Could Talk (Marina de Tavira, Roma)
Best Original Screenplay: Roma (same)
Best Adapted Screenplay: BlacKKKlansman (same. I figure they'll want to give Spike Lee an Oscar).
Animated Feature: Incredibles 2 (Ralph Breaks the Internet)
Foreign Language Film: Roma (only one I saw)
Documentary: No idea
Animated Short: Bao, I guess (only one I saw, but a very interesting short))
Live Action short/Documentary short: No idea
Best Original Score: Mary Poppins Returns (same)
Best Original Song: The Place Where Lost Things Go (Shallow, A Star Is Born)
Best Sound Editing: Black Panther (same)
Best Sound Mixing: Black Panther (same)
Production Design: The Favourite (Roma)
Cinematography: Roma (Same)
Makeup and Hairstyling: Border (? Haven't seen any of the films)
Costume Design: The Favourite (Black Panther)
Film Editing: Bohemian Rhapsody? (BlacKKKlansman?)
Visual Effects: Avengers: Infinity War (Ready Player One)

Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
BlacKkKlansman” director Spike Lee was visibly angry when the best picture Oscar went to “Green Book.” Seated in the audience, Lee waved his hands in disgust and appeared to try to walk out of the Dolby Theatre. He made his way back to his seat and later backstage compared the best film selection to a loss by his beloved New York Knicks basketball team. He joked, “The ref made the wrong call.”

I hear a fair number of people felt, as Don Shirley's family did, that GB really misrepresented Shirley and the truth generally. Have not seen it yet, but it looked like a minor picture to me, derivative and overdependent on racial stereotypes.

Generally the Oscars seem like bullshit, these days. I watched about ten minutes, which included Olivia Colman freaking out in an amusing way, that was plenty.

Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:25 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
Quote:
BlacKkKlansman” director Spike Lee was visibly angry when the best picture Oscar went to “Green Book.” Seated in the audience, Lee waved his hands in disgust and appeared to try to walk out of the Dolby Theatre. He made his way back to his seat and later backstage compared the best film selection to a loss by his beloved New York Knicks basketball team. He joked, “The ref made the wrong call.”

I hear a fair number of people felt, as Don Shirley's family did, that GB really misrepresented Shirley and the truth generally. Have not seen it yet, but it looked like a minor picture to me, derivative and overdependent on racial stereotypes.

Generally the Oscars seem like bullshit, these days. I watched about ten minutes, which included Olivia Colman freaking out in an amusing way, that was plenty.

The Oscars are largely bullshit, it's true, but can be fun when done well, as they were last night. "Green Book" is cheesy but very entertaining and the acting is wonderful.
bartist
Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:09 am Reply with quote
In a way, I wish i had seen it before all this foofaraw. I'm sure it's a fun buddy movie, and if I weren't thinking about Magical Negro and White Savior tropes it would help. The film would spoon-feed me, I would eat, and go home fed. Now, alas, critics have put it on my mental radar that I will be spoon-fed.

Very Happy

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Syd
Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:19 am Reply with quote
BEWARE THE IDES OF MARCH!!!

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Would have been better if the lead story this Ides had been Mueller Report Nails Ring of Corrupt Plutocrats Led by Reality TV mobster, instead of the atrocity in Christchurch. The white nationalist xenophobe virus seems to be circling the globe in a toxic cloud.
carrobin
Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:35 pm Reply with quote
My Ides are less horrible but nonetheless upsetting. My TV went blank Friday afternoon when I turned it on--and this time it doesn't seem to be a question of the remote, though I did put in new batteries (to no avail). The Spectrum list comes up and the bottom of the screen shows the title of whatever is supposed to be on, as usual, but there's no picture and no sound.

Just wondering if this sounds like something that can be fixed, or whether I need a new TV (it's only about eight years old, a Toshiba flatscreen). Any guesses or tech tricks are welcome. I'll trade in my remote for a new one tomorrow, just in case that might work, but as I said, the remote seems to work fine.

In the meantime I've been catching up on DVDs, which work perfectly on the TV's built-in VCR. Has anyone seen the British miniseries "London Spy"? I binge-watched it last night and it's creepily thrilling. Always good to see the elderly but formidable Charlotte Rampling in a meaty role, too.
bartist
Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:14 am Reply with quote
Your tv is probably okay (it plays dvds). Could be either a signal interruption in the cable somewhere that's stopping the high bandwidth portion (audio and picture) or you didn't pay your bill. Or could even be just loose where it's screwed into the back of the tv so that the bulk of the signal is choked off but the list still squeezes through. Although I doubt a physical circuit break would manifest so neatly, so probably not. Did you call your cable company? Could be the roof router. Neighbors would also be having the problem if so.

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Bart--I did check the attachments in the back (having had that problem a few years ago, "fixed" by the repairman), and I'll do some more experimenting. This isn't the first time I've had problems (remember when I couldn't get any channel but MSNBC?)--and I wonder if it's a Toshiba glitch.
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:02 am Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
Thanks Bart--I did check the attachments in the back (having had that problem a few years ago, "fixed" by the repairman), and I'll do some more experimenting. This isn't the first time I've had problems (remember when I couldn't get any channel but MSNBC?)--and I wonder if it's a Toshiba glitch.

I assume you've called Spectrum. If not, do so. They may be able to help.
knox
Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:48 am Reply with quote
https://editor.currentaffairs.org/2019/03/how-to-write-a-political-puff-piece/

Too funny not to pass along.
carrobin
Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:31 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
I assume you've called Spectrum. If not, do so. They may be able to help.

I had to wait a bit to get around to it, because I knew it would take a while and I was also afraid even Spectrum couldn't resolve the problem, but God bless the patient woman who walked me through the cable box reset, the (new) remote control reset, and the connections. And hallelujah, it's working!

Last night I binge-watched the DVDs of Neil Gaiman's "Neverwhere" series, which I've had for several years and hadn't even opened. So in a way, I can't really regret the blackout--but I'll be so glad to see Rachel Maddow and Stephen Colbert tonight....
bartist
Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:26 pm Reply with quote
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/mar/29/agnes-varda-last-interview-i-fought-for-radical-cinema-all-my-life

Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:46 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/mar/29/agnes-varda-last-interview-i-fought-for-radical-cinema-all-my-life

Damn. One of my favorite people on the face of the Earth. I've seen more movies by her than any other woman, and she has one last film out this year. I'm not clear from IMDb whether it was originally done as a movie or a tv series.