Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

Befade
Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I don’t know about the other influences. But it’s almost a copy of Winter’s Light. But way more outrageous.

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:38 am Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
I put on Roma too late last week and fell asleep in perhaps a record 3 mins. Barely made it past the floor washing credits. Need to see it.

Has anyone seen Paul Schrader's First Reformed?
I'm not too big on religious films, but will go with it if it's good enough.

First Reformed is fascinating and features yet another great performance by the perennially underrated Ethan Hawke.

Roma is unquestionably the best film of 2018.
bartist
Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Regarding Roma and Buster Scruggs....

The spouse and I continue to avoid streaming services for several reasons*, so we're effectively shut out of Scruggs. And Roma. The anti moviehouse business model has just firmed up our boycott of Nflix. Movies belong in theaters, and AA nominees especially should have extended theatrical releases and second runs. If there weren't other issues I have with streaming services, maybe I'd join for the sake of something getting best film buzz.

* collecting and commodifying information about our viewing, and having algorithms "recommend" movies to us, and "define" us as a certain type of person, to name a couple. No one should take your private actions and own them as a sort of intangible property, or allow employees to tweet jokes based on access to your viewing habits - google "netflix christmas prince who hurt you" if you don't know what I'm on about.

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I’m not on Facebook for those reasons and others. Netflix has become so bloated. It’s not my favorite streaming service. I like HBO and Hulu and Showtime and since FilmStruck collapsed I’m looking forward to Criterian streaming in the spring. Sometimes I buy tv shows on iTunes.

I do rent hard copies from Netflix but I hardly ever watch live tv. I avoid Amazon because it’s too much of a mega company. I’m wondering if Roma will go back in theaters if it wins big at the Oscars

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Capernaum is a must see film. The story of a poor boy and his family in Beirut.....the flip side of the film Shoplifters. That was about a poor boy and his family in Tokyo.

And the stunning feature of this film is the incredible acting of a baby boy. That little kid deserves the Oscar: his charisma, his scene stealing, his playing off the older boy. A natural presence....beyond acting. I really can’t believe I’m saying this....See for yourself.

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:14 am Reply with quote
The Favourite seems overrated. Fine acting (Olivia C, in particular), photography, but the use of modern swearing and dance routines not of the early 1700s was distracting. Also, i wonder if someone reading history of Anne's reign didn't quite understand what "intimacy" meant in that epoch. I doubt it meant a lesbian triangle, viewed in a lens of 20th century feminism.

The soundtrack was also heavy handed in spots, as one extended scene where someone whacks at a cello string over and over to let us know things are horrid. Finally, Lady Abigail, an actual person in history, seems to be falsely portrayed as corrupted by Court life into a Machiavellian poisoner. Ratcheting characters into the most lurid possible versions of a historical figure is rarely necessary to gain the attention of an audience that goes to a period drama IMO.

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:58 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
The Favourite seems overrated. Fine acting (Olivia C, in particular), photography, but the use of modern swearing and dance routines not of the early 1700s was distracting. Also, i wonder if someone reading history of Anne's reign didn't quite understand what "intimacy" meant in that epoch. I doubt it meant a lesbian triangle, viewed in a lens of 20th century feminism.

The soundtrack was also heavy handed in spots, as one extended scene where someone whacks at a cello string over and over to let us know things are horrid. Finally, Lady Abigail, an actual person in history, seems to be falsely portrayed as corrupted by Court life into a Machiavellian poisoner. Ratcheting characters into the most lurid possible versions of a historical figure is rarely necessary to gain the attention of an audience that goes to a period drama IMO.

I pretty much hated this film, which appears to be polarizing in that many people adore it.
Syd
Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
"The Kid who Would Be King" is surprisingly good, and I'd recommend seeing it in a theater. Only names I recognized were Patrick Stewart and Rebecca Ferguson, but I liked the kids, especially Rhianna Doris as Sir Kay--er, Lady Kaye. No Guinevere in this one, since the Arthur surrogate (named Alexander) is only 12.

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:15 pm Reply with quote
The Polish movie "Cold War" is a wonderfully narrated story of ill-starred lovers set in post-war Soviet-controlled Eastern Europe. The ugliness of the period is depicted well in black and white cinematography for which it has received several awards. The director Pawel Pawlikowski has been similarly honored, including the Best Director award at Cannes and an Oscar nomination.

"The Wife" on the other hand is contrived and disappointing in spite of a great performance by Glenn Close who fully deserves her Oscar nomination.

gromit
Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:54 am Reply with quote
Has anyone seen Christopher Robin?

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:07 pm Reply with quote
The Japanese movie "Shoplifters", the winner of Palme d'Or at Cannes and an Oscar nominee, is a very sensitively directed and emotion-laden but subdued story of a tightly-knit but sociologically atypical family that is at peace with itself and that is surprisingly full of wisdom. The movie was written and directed by Hirokazu Koreeda who also gave us gems like "Nobody Knows" and "I Wish". He is often called, and I think rightly so, the heir to the great Yasujiro Ozu.

Barry Jenkins' "If Beale Street Could Talk", based on a James Baldwin novel, is a powerful depiction of an African-American tragedy, dashing the hopes and dreams of a vibrant young couple to pieces. Jenkins had also directed the Oscar winner "Moonlight". Beale Street is equally worthwhile.

Last edited by Ghulam on Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:33 am Reply with quote
Ghulam wrote:
The Japanese movie "Shoplifters", the winner of Palme d'Or at Cannes and an Oscar nominee, is a very sensitively directed and emotion-laden but subdued story of a tightly-knit but sociologically atypical family that is at peace with itself and that is surprisingly full of wisdom. The movie was written and directed by Hirokazu Koreeda who also gave us gems like "Nobody Knows" and "I Wish". He is often called, and I think rightly so, the heir to the great Yasujiro Ozu.

Barry Jenkins' "If Beale Street Could Talk", based on a James Baldwin novel, is a powerful depiction of an African-American tragedy, dashing the hopes and dreams of a vibrant young couple to pieces. Jenkins had also directed the Oscar winner "Moonlight". Beale Street is equally worth while.

Agree about "Beale Street." Where can I see "Shoplifters"?
Ghulam
Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Billy,

"Shoplifters" is in theaters. I saw it in Spectrum (Landmark) in Albany.

gromit
Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:09 pm Reply with quote
If Beale Street Could Talk it would be much more interesting than the film of the same name. I found it boring and poorly paced. Also, it was rather unsubtle. The voiceover was uninspired. I didn't even like the music in the film. Occasionally one of the flashbacks or flash-forwards was well-inserted and would give me hope for maybe 10 seconds that the film was going to pick up.

Some of the plot was choppy and didn't make much sense.
SPOILER

Why would he take a plea (and to what? sexual assault? for how long?), when the case against him looks very weak without the victim in the country. He has a lawyer, the police have a weak ID, he has an alibi, etc. Would getting a record and serving a prison term be worth it to avoid what? sitting in jail pre-trial until he would likely win his case?

Too much is sketchy or underdeveloped. The lawyer gets brought in and forgotten. Did he ever meet with the alibi-friend? If so ... well, the script doesn't care about actual details. I was left even wondering if Baldwin knew what he was doing, given that odd Beale Street New Orleans opening quote. You can understand the metaphor (sort of) but it's unartfully presented.

I didn't like the look and feel of the film. The lingering closeups seemed designed to disguise a weak script. A line about wanting to save up money to go abroad seemed like Baldwin talking but made little sense for the 22 year old character. Go where?

I got little out of this, and felt minimal connection to the characters. I don't understand how Regina King is the favorite for Supporting Actress. Her part was small and didn't seem anything more than fine to me. Seems like others are seeing a lot more in this film than I did.
The basic premise of racialized injustice wrecking a family could have been made into a more dramatic, more engaging, more important film. Look at Spike Lee's KKK film and there's a lot more relevance and drama and storytelling, which still takes some time to fill in its characters.

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Quote:
the police have a weak ID

They have a positive ID from the perjurous cop. That counts a lot in a jury setting, particularly in the 1970s. But a competent attorney would make mincemeat of the prosecution's case.

I think Regina King is favored on the theory that the two nominees from
The Favourite will cancel each other out. As near as I can tell the only body to nominate the actress from Roma was the Academy, which doesn't bode well for her. That leaves Amy Adams and Regina King. Adams hasn't won any awards for her performance but I guess she could get a career award. I'm expecting Vice to get shut out.

I'm torn between Weisz and Stone.