Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

carrobin
Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I liked "The Rookie" too--Fillion has a quirky charm that works well in a strict organizational setting like a cop show. I'll watch again next week and see if it holds up.
carrobin
Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Excellent episode of "The Good Place" tonight, as (alive again) Eleanor and (recovering demon) Michael argued about free will vs. determinism. My favorite line: During their argument in an Arizona public library (for privacy, as it was the building most likely to be deserted), Michael told the skeptical Eleanor that he'd swear on a Bible--"There's one over there. It's the only book in the Sex Ed section."

Every week, I wish it were an hour instead of just 30-minus-commercials minutes. Still, the iguana clinging to Eleanor's head was worth tuning in all by itself.
bartist
Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I've been missing TGP, since we took off the antenna. That channel actually comes in if you just put an unbent paperclip in the cable port, so might have a look. The library here (not deserted) has the previous seasons on DVD, so I can catch up first.

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Last summer Showtime ran the 5 episodes of the miniseries Patrick Melrose based on the 5 semiautobiographical novels of the British author Edward St Aubyn and starring Benedict Cumberbatch who gave an amazing performance. I saw all five episodes over the past three days. It is a deeply moving dramatization of the scars from severe childhood trauma at the hands of sadistic and uncaring parents. Did anyone else see it?

carrobin
Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:01 am Reply with quote
While staying at a hotel with free Showtime available on the TV last year, I caught the first episode of "Patrick Melrose," and agree that Cumberbatch was excellent--in fact, it was a well-done production all around--but in spite of its luxurious setting, it was so bleak and depressing that I had no desire to see any more episodes. I spent the rest of the evening looking for shows that would cheer me up.
Ghulam
Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:05 am Reply with quote
Yes, the first episode is rough but is faithful to the book. The first episode is based on the second book of the novel and the second episode is based on the first book. I think that reordering works out quite well.

bartist
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:52 am Reply with quote
Started watching a Canadian biotech thriller (a young woman discovers she is one of a group of clones, all leading quite separate and dissimilar lives) called Orphan Black. Actress Tatiana Maslany does a superb job playing multiple roles, and there are wonderful comedic touches and turns of plot that make this my most-likely-to-binge TV viewing.

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I just watched season 1 of a British tv series: about a family of women divorce lawyers. Well written. Substantial. I especially liked Nicola Walker who was in River. View on Sundance or Hulu.

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

...The 30th episode of the show, titled “The End of The World,” premiered on May 9, 1958, and saw a con man named Walter Trump, played by Lawrence Dobkin, attempt to scam the entire town.

The fictional Trump warned the Texans that apocalyptic meteors would strike the town at midnight, but he could protect everyone. “I bring you a message,” he said. “A message few of you will be able to believe…but be not afraid my friends: I also bring you the means with which to save yourself.”

His solution was to build a wall made of magical metal that would repel the meteors and keep everyone safe. As the citizens started to believe Trump, he offered to give them walls for $50 each. However, Ranger Gilman wasn’t convinced. Pandemonium erupted in the town, but in the end Gilman arrests Trump for grand theft and fraud..

https://variety.com/2019/politics/news/trackdown-1950s-tv-show-border-wall-trump-1203106000/
knox
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:59 pm Reply with quote
What happened here? I looked at the membership list and it's huge. Do none of these people ever stop by to chat about film and tv? Five people posted in the past month. Folks, you need to open your registration process!!
carrobin
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Well, I've spent the day watching the great drama on MSNBC, and must make a confession. I'm becoming very sympathetic with Michael Cohen. For someone so involved with Trump for so long, he's done the total opposite of what Trump would (will?) do in his current situation: he's taken responsibility and sincerely (I think) regrets his mistakes. There were some fine performances, what with vicious Republicans and calmly inquisitive Democrats and the steady protagonist--and the excellent Elijah Cummings, who wrapped things up beautifully--let's get back to normal.
Syd
Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I'm catching up on Station 19, which I stopped recording when I realized The Orville had gotten really good. Station 19, on the other hand, is pretty dull. It's not as actively awful as Private Practice could be, and does benefit to a certain extent as a parasite on Grey's Antatomy, but a show about the cops produced by Shondra Rhimes would be a much more interesting show.

Though considering how quickly "How to Get Away with Murder" became unwatchable, I should be careful what I wish for.

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:59 pm Reply with quote
The holodeck/time capsule episode was excellent. The Orville has been a pleasant surprise. This episode had some philosophical depth, as well as a very amusing sideplot with Bortus and Klyden getting hooked on cigarettes.

Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:29 am Reply with quote
I liked the time capsule story. I found the series a little too cute, at first, but it has matured a bit and seems to have a better balance of humor and space thrills and interpersonal drama.

Anyone get CBS All Access? Want to see the new Twilight Zone series, but not sure I want another streaming subscription. I'm not super enchanted with their thing where they broadcast one episode of something over the air, then tell you to sign up if you want more.
carrobin
Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Last night's "The Simpsons" must have broken some boundary with its scenes of the school music teacher in bed with his partner, who looked and sounded amusingly like Ian McKellen. It wasn't really his voice--but Lisa's new hard-driving music teacher was voiced by J.T. Simmons. I never saw that movie but I know he won an Oscar for the role.

I find it intriguing that popular tastes and acceptance can change so fast. Up until just a few decades ago, a married couple couldn't even share a bed in movies or on TV--single beds only. Now an animated TV show features two men (whose relationship seemed at least as married as Homer & Marge's) in a double bed. But I remind myself, after Obama came Trump--take nothing for granted.