Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

bartist
Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:14 pm Reply with quote
That was a great show. I miss the Shatner-Spader chemistry.

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:25 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
That was a great show. I miss the Shatner-Spader chemistry.

Me too, not to mention the Bierko-Zimmer chemistry.
bartist
Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Just caught season 3 of Better Call Saul. "Chicanery" was some stellar television. And just saw "Lantern" -- the finale. OMG. Like its predecessor series, it seems to have cycled towards darker. Well, the event in Lantern may point towards Jimmy's final conversion to Saul. What started as a joke name (Saul Goodman = "it's all good, man") looks to be an escape from the trauma attached now to the McGill name.

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Dick Cavett’s Best Outtakes

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/04/style/dick-cavett-interview.html[/url]
carrobin
Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Nobody seems to be watching regular TV programming these days--or maybe it's just me, isolated in my work-at-home job and addicted to CNN and MSNBC (they're the ones with the drama, thanks to the bogus POTUS & Accomplices). And thank God for Stephen Colbert, putting it all in perspective. "The Miniaturist" on PBS is intriguing (and gorgeous to watch, with its Vermeer-like scenes) and "The Good Place" caught up last week with the four episodes leading up to the long-delayed next season, but otherwise I always have the news on. I do wish there were a news show without commercials, especially later at night when the bad backs, leaky bladders, cancer kids, and Pillow Guy get rolling.
Syd
Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I still regularly watch Elementary, Grey's Anatomy and Blindspot. I find myself watching Station 19, though it's more of a timekiller. (Miles better than Private Practice.) Gave up on Agents of SHIELD at the beginning of last season.

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I got rid of the TV. Not because I think TV is stupid, but because I think I'M stupid in how I interact with it. So I offer this not in that condescending way people who don't have TV will sometimes do so.

This is not a "I virtuously gave up vice, so should you. " It's just a vice for some of us.

Still have radio, if there's an emergency. And can occasionally catch PBS NewsHour on my PC , as well as episodes of various shows (Elementary, Fargo, The Americans, Westworld, Frontline...) that we own on Blu-ray or are loaned out by the public library. Our county (and neighboring) is the size of some northeastern states, with areas where some people have no TV access at all, so the PL has done a surprisingly good job of stocking premium TV series on disk.

Anyway, not having TV, we have become typical Millennials. Smile

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:20 pm Reply with quote
"Elementary" pulled off several surprises, including that I thought next week was the season finale. This finale wound up making sense, with twisty turny plot developments , and several characters betraying themselves for semi-good reasons. That said, next season looks delightful and a breath of fresh air.

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I do spend some time catching old shows--"Boston Legal," "Person of Interest," "The Simpsons"--and old movies when the news gets repetitive during the day. It's hard to turn away from some old favorites (and all three of the above seem to have more to reveal the more I watch). And I know I'm missing some quality shows--and I'm paying for Netflix and Amazon Prime without watching them. I also have DVDs and books that are gathering dust because I'm trying to clear my apartment of newspapers and magazines. Don Marquis's archy the cockroach knew a cat named Mehitabel who used to complain "What did I do to deserve all these damn kittens?" That's the way I feel about magazines.
carrobin
Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, it was a relief to get away from the Supreme Court and back to a welcome distraction, the new Doctor Who. She's excellent, just the right familiar combination of smarts and doubts and humor and devil-may-care, following a repeat this afternoon of "The Day of the Doctor"--which I'll watch anytime it shows up.

I wish they hadn't put the evening repeat opposite "The Simpsons," which could have made me miss an outstanding parody of "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf." There are some times when I'm very grateful for commercial breaks.
Syd
Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm going through the 336 episodes of "Bleach" on Netflix. Up to number 42. They're only about 20 minutes long.

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:01 am Reply with quote
Haven't seen any recent Dr. Who, but am watching an HBO series called The Leftovers (a weird and mysterious disappearance of 2% of the human race, a sort of Micro-rapture, and its effects on a small city in NY) in which a former Doctor (Chris Eccleston) plays a minister. The plots are truly bizarre, but it hangs together pretty well with a strong esemble cast, including a standout performance from the lovely and talented Carrie Coon. (who was also outstanding in season three of "Fargo") (OK, I'm a Carrie Coon fan) And Amy Brenneman has a nonspeaking role, but a major one, and sheds some interesting light on the mindset of cults. The show generally does a good job probing the American subconscious. So, yes, not for the faint of heart.

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Withdrawing my above recommendation as the second half of the first season quickly degenerates into OTT and earnestly preposterous plot turns. Justin Theroux emotes and bullies dry cleaners. Tiresome and pointless.

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:56 pm Reply with quote
The second "Doctor Who" last night was pretty much the usual, as the Doctor and her companions (who were dragged along with her via some spaceship time crossing, though the Tardis was destroyed at the beginning of the first episode) explore a deserted planet that's part of some kind of game. I sort of lost interest in it halfway through but returned in time to see the Tardis appear, having regenerated itself. Smart ship.

I'm going to check out Nathan Fillion's new show tomorrow night, "The Rookie," but apart from "The Simpsons," the only show that's really got me coming back for more is "The Good Place." I thought it would never return, but it's back, on Thursday night. I do like "Murphy Brown" but it hasn't impressed me much so far.
Syd
Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:01 pm Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
I'm going to check out Nathan Fillion's new show tomorrow night, "The Rookie," but apart from "The Simpsons," the only show that's really got me coming back for more is "The Good Place." I thought it would never return, but it's back, on Thursday night. I do like "Murphy Brown" but it hasn't impressed me much so far.

I liked the first episode of The Rookie. Off-beat enough not to be just another cop show, and I cracked up about five times in the first ten minutes. Also very interesting and sometimes poignant. Promising show.