Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

Syd
Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
RIP Tom Wolfe. For me, the writer of The Right Stuff, which is one of my favorite books and movies.

Posted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:44 am Reply with quote
And then Philip Roth. Not a good week for masters of prose.

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:03 am Reply with quote
Isn't Giuliani supposed to be a lawyer? Why does he keep giving such stupid legal advice?

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:48 am Reply with quote
It's been surreal, being informed that DT is actually Louis XIV. L'etat c'est moi!

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:21 am Reply with quote
“This is the reason you don’t let the president testify,” Giuliani told ABC. “Our recollection keeps changing.”

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:29 pm Reply with quote
It seems rather befuddling that our POTUS evidently believes that he's not subject to the U.S. legal system and is also supposed to be immune from criticism (not just by the press, but by anyone), although he spent a good deal of his valuable (?) time over the last few years haranguing the previous POTUS for being a Muslim from Kenya and cheering the Republican campaigns against him.

P.S. Although I tried to avoid mentioning politics while I was with my sister last week, when the subject did arise, she seemed irritated with him and never tried to defend anything he's done. I also managed to explain the reason for NYC's "sanctuary city" position, which she seemed to understand. I don't think she's a Trump fan anymore.
bartist
Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:46 am Reply with quote
https://www.newsday.com/news/nation/fox-news-host-trump-gaffe-1.19110146

Teehee

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:40 am Reply with quote
Looks like when Fox gets something right, they have to apologize for it.
carrobin
Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:21 pm Reply with quote
So, basically, Sessions is kidnapping immigrants' children and holding them hostage so that Democrats will be forced to approve the money for Trump's Big Beautiful Wall that Mexico was going to pay for (in his dreams)?

If I were 20 years younger, I'd move to Canada.
chillywilly
Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Apologies for the many months of silence on the hosting fees, including here on this forum and via emails.

I've paid for the hosting fees the last two years, as well as the $24.95 domain name renewal (which just happened today). Hosting is good till December 15, 2018 and the thirdeyefilm.com domain name is good till June 18th, 2019.

My silence wasn't an intentional ignore to anyone. Just have had a lot going on in my life, both personal and work related.

I plan to reach out to Lorne and Marc and their thoughts on this site. Marc owns thirdeyefilm.com so it's technically his call of what he wants to do with this. We can certainly keep things going as long as we want. If you want to send me any money towards the hosting and domain renewal fees, that's cool. Otherwise, it's not been an issue for me to pay. That sounds odd for someone that hasn't posted more than 20 posts in the last 3 years.

Once I hear back from Marc (I've yet to send him a Facebook message or stop in at his record store in Austin the few times I've been there the last 3.5 years) I will post here as an update.

bartist
Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:08 am Reply with quote
I didn't realize Marc was still the owner. If so, I don't understand why he doesn't pay the DN renewal. I mean, we could all divvy it up, but if one person is going to pay it, I don't get why that is you. Very decent of you, old penguin.

At this point, I get more out the website than I contribute. Syd and Gromit review films I would otherwise miss, or make me aware of genres where I am ignorant. I like Billweed's and Inla's occasional reviews of current film. The present setup seems expensive for a half dozen regulars. What if the principal film buffs, Syd, Gromit, Weeds, and Inla, did a blog on one of those sites where you get space for free or very small fees? Call it Celluloid Junkies or something. The rest could take part in the Reply/Comment section.

I'm not saying that idea is anything but shite. Just wanted to provoke a bit of thought.

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:36 am Reply with quote
I'll make a contribution, just tell me where to send it. Working at home, this is as close as I get these days to having a social life.
Syd
Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I have no idea why Marc would own the site (it's probably ancient history), but if $24.95 is all the cost is per year, I'm willing to spend a hundred or so to keep it going for three or four years. (Under the condition that we never delete Nancy's posts.)

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:16 am Reply with quote
That seems like a really good reason. Much to be said for DN maintenance to insure archival material is preserved. If Syd pays DN, I could chip in for a chunk of the hosting fee. Send me an address.

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I wish I was watching more films so I could leave more comments. I've really slacked for some reason.

Maybe we should send a "form" email to previous posters here to see if anyone would return and contribute. Hell, in most cases the person that caused someone to leave is probably long gone as well. Maybe we can rope back in some old-timers such as lorne, lady wakasa, melody, jeremy, marj, joe, earl, gary and whoever else I'm forgetting. Some of them might be too busy or permanently moved on, but some might be glad to get an invite and get back in touch with old friends.

One problem with a small site like this was it was never likely to generate new members, so was always destined to dwindle. And we can't exactly compete with facebook for those craving a wider audience. It's eerie sometimes to use the search function, wind up 5 or 10 years in the past and read posts by now deceased old friends such as Nancy and Ehle.