Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

billyweeds
Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:52 am Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
I picked up Phantom Thread knowing nothing about it. Turns out it's a type of film that bores me considerably. I just wasn't interested at all in the slow unfolding of a vague romance between a fussy boring guy and a smirking woman with an annoying accent. Seemed the kind prestige picture that Ralph Fiennes or maybe Jeremy Irons would be in.

For some reason the sound bothered me. I didn't like the rather cliched score. Alma's accent was irritating. And DDLewis' mumbling was irksome. A few times I had to rewind and turn on the subtitles. Though after a while I wasn't invested enough to bother. I was so disengaged that a number of scenes looked like scenes being filmed and acted.

Just not my kind of film at all.

Wow. Couldn't disagree much more if I tried. Vicky Krieps is a goddess, just for starters.
billyweeds
Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:57 am Reply with quote
Wonderful new movie on Netflix called “Come Sunday” tells the real-life story of preacher Carlton Pearson, who got in trouble with the church by opining that hell doesn’t exist. Fascinating story grounded and nailed to the wall by an award-worthy performance by Chiwetel Ejiofor, who here achieves a career peak. Ejiofor is always at least good, sometimes (check out his awesome villain portrayal in "Four Brothers") more, but here he's just plain transcendent.

And he is supported by several remarkable performances from Martin Sheen (as Oral Roberts), Danny Glover, Condola Rashad, and Lakeith Stanfield. Faith-based movies have justifiably gotten a bad rap, but this one is the exception that proves the rule. It's a must-see.
inlareviewer
Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Well, Mr. DocumentariesRUs finally caught up with Icarus, and was quietly blown away. Can wholly see why it took the Bald Gold Man With A Sword over our fave in the derby Faces Places and all the others I loved that the Aclademy didn't even note, given how it starts and where it goes and how it's done and all roads lead to Putin. Highly recommended.

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:44 am Reply with quote
Good to hear.
Icarus turned up here.
But I wasn't sure whether to blind buy or not.

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Anyone here see Game Night? Director is John Francis Daley, who may be known to some Bones fans here better as Sweets. Looks like just plain fun with maybe a retro touch. At the 2nd run house downtown here, so we might walk down tonight or tomorrow. It's Spring here finally (foot of snow here last week) -- time to get out.

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:36 pm Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
Good to hear.
Icarus turned up here.
But I wasn't sure whether to blind buy or not.

Oh, lord, if you have Netflix access, do that. They made it, after all. Just saying. It's a true Documentary. Cool

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:42 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
gromit wrote:
I picked up Phantom Thread knowing nothing about it. Turns out it's a type of film that bores me considerably. I just wasn't interested at all in the slow unfolding of a vague romance between a fussy boring guy and a smirking woman with an annoying accent. Seemed the kind prestige picture that Ralph Fiennes or maybe Jeremy Irons would be in.

For some reason the sound bothered me. I didn't like the rather cliched score. Alma's accent was irritating. And DDLewis' mumbling was irksome. A few times I had to rewind and turn on the subtitles. Though after a while I wasn't invested enough to bother. I was so disengaged that a number of scenes looked like scenes being filmed and acted.

Just not my kind of film at all.

Wow. Couldn't disagree much more if I tried. Vicky Krieps is a goddess, just for starters.

I liked Phantom Thread, very much. I hope it's NOT The Day-Lewis's last fillum, but if so, he went out on a high. La Manwille is beside herself in terms of internalalities, and Vicky Krieps ,who plays His Muse, is sump'n else again. Internalized, highly specialized film-making, but deeply felt and true to its own aesthetic throughout, and THEN, there's the wardrobe. Just saying.

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:32 am Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
Anyone here see Game Night? Director is John Francis Daley, who may be known to some Bones fans here better as Sweets. Looks like just plain fun with maybe a retro touch. At the 2nd run house downtown here, so we might walk down tonight or tomorrow. It's Spring here finally (foot of snow here last week) -- time to get out.

Toys with the audience in clever and puckish ways, a truly fun popcorn movie.

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:26 am Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
bartist wrote:

Toys with the audience in clever and puckish ways, a truly fun popcorn movie.

You've hooked me. I had virtually no interest in this flick but now I'm haunting the jnternet to find out when it becomes available. Doesn't hurt that after reading your review I checked around and found out that my favorite living professional critic Matt Zoller Seitz also loved it. Bring it on!

Jason Bateman is becoming a terrific actor. Don't know about Game Night, but he's marvelous in the Netflix series Ozark and the movie The Gift.
bartist
Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Hi, Billy. I laughed myself sick. It's a classic farce formula of mistaken perceptions. It didn't hurt that I love both board games and that formula. Jesse Plemons, as a somewhat charm-impaired cop neighbor, was also notably good. (he's also becoming a terrific actor - Breaking Bad, Fargo....)

Many many neat little sendups - there's one I won't spoil - let's just say it's a nice sendup of the standard scene of someone treating their own gunshot wound.

Posted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Deleted for inadvertent redundancy.

Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Marshall is not as much about Justice Thurgood Marshall's extraordinary bio as it is a dramatic and humorous presentation of one of his career-defining cases, fighting racism in, of all places, Connecticut. Absorbing and entertaining.

gromit
Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:08 am Reply with quote
I liked Marshall.
Solid film, well-handled.

Just checked my Top 10 for 2017:
1. The Florida Project
2. Detroit
3. I Am Not Your Negro
4. 3 Billboards outside Ebbing, Mo
5. I, Tonya
6. Marshall

Which seems to break down as:
1. Class
2. Race
3. Race
4. Class
5. Class
6. Race

Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:25 am Reply with quote
Picked up Woody Allen's Wonder Wheel, with low expectations.
And The Insult, a Lebanese drama.
Will report back.

Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:41 am Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
I liked Marshall.
Solid film, well-handled.

Just checked my Top 10 for 2017:
1. The Florida Project
2. Detroit
3. I Am Not Your Negro
4. 3 Billboards outside Ebbing, Mo
5. I, Tonya
6. Marshall

Which seems to break down as:
1. Class
2. Race
3. Race
4. Class
5. Class
6. Race

In fact I went to see Marshall because of your rave. I was not disappointed.