Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Couch With A View

bartist
Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:44 am Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
bartist wrote:
Quote:
.The photos, that is, not the people.

You have a warped sense of humor. And I'm laughing, so what does that say?

Will see this. Not sure about Varda being the oldest nominated though.

I checked it out. However there have been older people who got special awards. I believe Kirk Douglas was one.

Right. For some reason, Gloria Stuart had popped into my head, but she was only nominated for her role in Very Large Movie, and was only 87. (Not the 101 years of her character)

Re Scofield....all this mention inspired the spouse and I to a Scofield double feature of AMfAS and Quiz Show. Broadway and West End were very blessed to have him. And seeing AMfAS again, after too many years, was reminded of how astounding an ensemble is there - and I include the estuary as a character.

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sixty-four thousand dollars for a question, I hope they are asking you the meaning of life.

Only getting lost in the glittery glare of Forrest Gump could possibly explain the weird fate of Quiz Show in not taking home any statuettes.

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:53 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
Quote:
Sixty-four thousand dollars for a question, I hope they are asking you the meaning of life.

Only getting lost in the glittery glare of Forrest Gump could possibly explain the weird fate of Quiz Show in not taking home any statuettes.

And then, there's that.

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:55 pm Reply with quote
It was amnesia day on TCM--a bunch of movies in which the hero had amnesia and, generally, too many women. I caught a few of them, "Two O'clock Courage," "Kisses for Breakfast," and "Crossroads." The first was a silly murder mystery that was nevertheless intriguing, in which Tom Conway woke on a city street corner not remembering anything, even his name, but luckily a pretty taxi driver (Ann Rutherford) nearly hit him, and they teamed up to figure out who he was and what happened to him. Then there was "Kisses for Breakfast," in which groom Dennis Morgan is pulled away from his new bride (Shirley Ross) by a blackmailing ex-girlfriend and disappears; their car is wrecked and he's supposedly dead, but wakes with amnesia and wanders off to the only address in his pocket, the farm of his bride's cousin (Jane Wyatt) in South Carolina. She gives him a job on the farm, and they fall in love and get married on the way to his first bride's wedding to another fellow a year later, where he remembers no one, but everyone remembers him; the ensuing confusion (which could of course be cleared up with a simple mention of his amnesia) comes to an end when a hypnotist brings him out of it and he has to choose between his battling brides. The third, "Crossroads," was the quality item of the bunch, with William Powell as a government official whose memory goes back only a dozen years, when he woke on a ship near Marseilles, and he's now wealthy and married to Hedy Lamarr, but he's been accused of a crime that happened just before his shipboard awakening. Basil Rathbone and Clare Trevor, who claim to have been his buddies in the old days, give false testimony that clears him, then blackmail him with threats to reveal all. The viewer is left wondering until the last few minutes, and it's a good suspenseful ride. (Powell was one of those rare actors of the '40s who could look either guilty or blameless within the same plot.) All three were fun to watch, making me glad there wasn't much work coming in today.

Interesting that amnesia was regarded as the result of a blow on the head, and with another blow on the head, memory would return. (Though hypnosis helped.) I don't know how TCM skipped my favorite amnesia movie, "I Love You Again," with Powell and Myrna Loy--thoroughly illogical but a thorough delight, in which a blow on the head was, again, the magic touch.
gromit
Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:01 am Reply with quote
Amnesia Day.
Darn, I forgot all about that . . .

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:38 am Reply with quote
A movie called "The Whole Truth" has been dumped into On Demand on Amazon, showing how little faith the distributor had in it. But surprise. It's a very entertaining courtroom thriller worthy of note by any Agatha Christie fan. Keanu Reeves as a defense lawyer and Renee Zellweger as the widow of a murder victim get to show off their acting chops along with their facial surgery, and Jim Belushi does a cool job as the villainous victim. It's an interestingly twisty story--hence the Christie analogy--which mystery fans should check out on Amazon Prime.
carrobin
Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:44 am Reply with quote
So many movies, so little time!

Last night I stayed up late to watch "Hell Drivers" on TCM, having recalled the title from my crush-on-David-McCallum days. It's a 1950s British drama starring Stanley Baker as an ex-con who gets a job as a driver for a shady trucking company, and among his coworkers are villainous Patrick McGoohan and near-invisible Sean Connery (I caught a glimpse of him just once) as well as Herbert Lom and soon-to-be Doctor Who, William Hartnell. (McCallum is Baker's crippled brother, young and blond and as beautiful as Jill Ireland, who is one of the girls at a local dance.) The love interest is Peggy Cummins, and the director, C. Raker Endfield, was a refugee from the Hollywood Blacklist turmoil. It's a gritty flick with lots of testosterone, and I might not have even recognized McGoohan if not for his eyes; he must have developed that unique growl in his voice later. Not a great movie but not bad, and it did keep me awake.
knox
Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:57 am Reply with quote
I thought The Whole Truth had a theatrical release, but maybe I'm thinking of something else. Production must have involved some weird lane changes, if they originally cast Daniel Craig and then replaced with Keanu Reeves. And moved the shoot from Boston to Nawlins.

Hell Drivers - will look for it, if only to see McGoohan in his pre "Prisoner"/SAM days. And I was going to add Lom in his pre pink panther days, but then remember he was in Ladykillers so I've checked that box off.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:58 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
billyweeds wrote:
Keanu Reeves as a defense lawyer and Renee Zellweger as the widow of a murder victim get to show off their acting chops....
Well, that convinces me. I would rather remove my testicles and replace them with ping pong balls without anesthesia than watch a movie featuring the acting chops of those two.

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:48 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
Rewatched Fargo for the who knows how manyth times. Spent the movie looking for a flaw. Didn't find one.

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12889 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Elle: Isabelle Huppert in an Academy Award nomination as a rape victim who is also the daughter of a mass murderer, and co-producer of a sexually exploitive video game at a company where all but one of the netherlings hate her, and the one who doesn't is the one who is weird. Through most of the movie, Huppert's character Michele doesn't act in any way that a human being would act, ruining people's lives, to the point where, when someone narrowly misses running her down, you wish they'd succeeded. One of the most purely hateable protagonists I've seen in a long time. (Note the bit where her mother has had a stroke, is in a coma may never wake again and is near death's door, and Michele asks the nurse whether her mother is faking it? Her father isn't the only psychopath in the family.)

I think at this point I may start boycotting Paul Verhoeven films.

Posted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:16 am Reply with quote
Heh. Yes. The Piano Teacher demonstrated to me that she can play characters I can't really relate to.
I could easily take whiskey's ping-pong ball option than see Elle again.

Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:11 pm Reply with quote
whiskeypriest wrote:
billyweeds wrote:
Keanu Reeves as a defense lawyer and Renee Zellweger as the widow of a murder victim get to show off their acting chops....
Well, that convinces me. I would rather remove my testicles and replace them with ping pong balls without anesthesia than watch a movie featuring the acting chops of those two.

I can ID with the disrespect for Keanu, though he has done some creditable work along the way. But that attitude toward Renee Zellweger (which I know many share) is misplaced IMO. She is undeniably talented, with Jerry Maguire, Chicago, and White Oleander as prime evidence for starters.
carrobin
Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:51 pm Reply with quote
While I tend to like Keanu Reeves generally, I have to admit that when there's a discussion of troublesome international news on TV and someone mentions "bad actors," Keanu immediately springs to mind.
carrobin
Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:54 pm Reply with quote
TCM showed "The Winslow Boy" tonight and I finally caught up with it--it's one of those famous British films I thought I had seen already, but I had it mixed up with something else, I guess. It was excellent, and I didn't get anything done for two hours, caught up in the trial and the romance (no surprise how that ended up, but such fun to observe its progress). Glimpses of Cyril Ritchard and Mona Washbourne were bonuses. I'd watch it again.....