Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

bartist
Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:02 am Reply with quote
I've never understood the semantics of calling someone a vegetarian who sometimes eats meat. Vegetarian means: you do not ever eat meat. If you eat pig feet, then you're not a vegetarian. That's one of my "no wire hangers!" peeves. (WhiskeyP introduced me to that metaphor, ref. the scene in Mommy Dearest)

Some words do not admit of gradations. There aren't semi-vegetarians. Or semi orthodox Jews. Or semi pregnant women.

So anyway, be happy wearing pants, driving a VW, eating vegetarian, and sitting near strong dogs!

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I always found it amusing that people say they are vegetarians but eat fish. But what they mean is that they are mostly vegetarians, or at least eat a lot less meat than most folks. When I was in Kenya, I would tell folks I was a vegetarian, and they'd shrug, and think it was no big deal. The tribe in my area ate some fish, very little beef, and no pork. But then they'd try to make sure I ate chicken, which was their mainstay. They were dumbfounded that I didn't eat chicken, and had a lot of trouble comprehending such a thing. Amusing.

I find it very interesting how people want others to be like they are and resist differences. Seems to be a strong human urge.

Hitler seems to have had a genuine lifelong fondness for dogs.
He rescued a stray during WWI and others said it was pretty much his only friend during the war. His German Shepherd, Blondi, was his constant wartime companion and reportedly even slept in his bed. That hardly sounds like mere photo op stuff. The theory seems to be that Hitler liked dogs because they were loyal and obedient, and he was in control. Of course there was a propaganda element to Blondi -- wolflike, uber-dog, supposed genetic superiority -- as the Nazis propagandized everything. Hitler had his suicide cyanide tested on Blondi first, but then apparently the dog was buried with Adolph and Eva. Nothing was simple.

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:52 pm Reply with quote
______
Hitler was a painter, vegetarian, dog lover --...[/quote]

He had a sense of humor, too. When he met Franco for the first and last time, the Spaniard was obdurate about everything. Totally non-committal. When he left, Hitler said, "I'd rather have a root canal than meet with him again." Yuk yuk.

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12889 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
bartist wrote:
I've never understood the semantics of calling someone a vegetarian who sometimes eats meat. Vegetarian means: you do not ever eat meat. If you eat pig feet, then you're not a vegetarian. That's one of my "no wire hangers!" peeves. (WhiskeyP introduced me to that metaphor, ref. the scene in Mommy Dearest)

Some words do not admit of gradations. There aren't semi-vegetarians. Or semi orthodox Jews. Or semi pregnant women.

So anyway, be happy wearing pants, driving a VW, eating vegetarian, and sitting near strong dogs!

Apparently he quit meat altogether in 1938. Next year he invaded Poland.

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:39 am Reply with quote
hehe!

I do know vegans who keep the label even when they eat cage-free eggs. They use vegan to mean eating nothing that involves cruelty to animals. I mostly avoid animal protein, more for health reasons than anything else. When I get that urge to invade Poland, I eat a pierogi.

I'm glad the kids are marching in the streets. We were overdue for an activist generation.
gromit
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I find it very interesting how people want others to be like they are and resist differences. Seems to be a strong human urge.

Was just reading Umberto Eco on fascism and ran across this:
Quote:

For Ur-Fascism, disagreement is treason.
Besides, disagreement is a sign of diversity. Ur-Fascism grows up and seeks for consensus by exploiting and exacerbating the natural fear of difference. The first appeal of a fascist or prematurely fascist movement is an appeal against the intruders. Thus Ur-Fascism is racist by definition.

Good thing it doesn't have anything to do with modern America and Trump . . .

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:26 am Reply with quote
Good Eco logical thought there. Not sure Trump himself is smart enough to be a fascist. He just wants everyone to like him and he gets bummed out when advisors (e.g. McMaster) make him feel stupid. Bolton will make him feel smart, because Bolton validates everything Trump feels about foreign policy which, of course, he was taught to feel by watching Bolton on Fox News. I notice his latest appointment (this morning) is a 22 year old named Caroline Sunshine....

Quote:
The 22-year-old, who starred on Disney Channel’s “Shake It Up,” is joining the White House as a press assistant. She was formerly a White House intern.

Sunshine is known for her role on “Shake It Up” on which she played European exchange student Tinka Hessenheffer, starring alongside Zendaya and Bella Thorne for all three seasons the tween sitcom ran. She is also known for her role in the 2010 film “Marmaduke.”

European exchange student? So she'll understand foreign relations!

[/quote]

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:20 am Reply with quote
I know Whiskeypriest will want to send a sympathy card....

Quote:
Actress Debbie Lee Carrington - a little person who starred in the original Total Recall as one of the Martian rebels and in Star Wars as an ewok alongside other TV and film roles - has died at 58.

According to Deadline, Carrington's death was confirmed by her sister Cathy Ellis who said she passed away in her sleep from "undetermined causes."

Born on December 14, 1959 in San Jose, California, Carrington found a passion for acting after playing Sancho Panza in the play Man of La Mancha during her junior year of high school....

-- The Independent (UK)

"It's not the R2D2 man...no, he's still going."
Syd
Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:50 pm Reply with quote
IRS scammers are getting even more threatening. This one came from 360-589-5236 (in Washington State) and claimed the local cops will be by tomorrow to collect me. Note: no mention of my name, or city, state or anything specific, or why the IRS would be calling from Washington State for a tax filing in Oklahoma, or why a Federal agency would be using local cops.

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:01 pm Reply with quote
You'd understand better if Oklahoma paid its teachers more.

Except you didn't grow up there, so that joke falls flat.

Seriously, how creepy. You can give that number to the FBI tip webpage.

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:21 am Reply with quote
The Russian spy poisoning case in the UK has been very interesting. The Russkies initially vaguely cast blame on Czech, Sweden or Slovakia for the nerve agent. Now the head of the FSB (new KGB) said it was either a US or UK false flag operation. Of course, the crazy denials and blame-shifting make Russia look more guilty, not less.

I'm surprised you don't hear much of the earlier Russian who was killed with polonium in London. is it like with dogs, the first bite is excusable, but then you're put on notice that any following bites are culpable.

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:05 pm Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
I'm surprised you don't hear much of the earlier Russian who was killed with polonium in London. is it like with dogs, the first bite is excusable, but then you're put on notice that any following bites are culpable.

I've been wondering about that too--after all, that guy was literally murdered, yet he's seldom mentioned in the articles.

And back in November/December 2016, I read four news items about Russians in the USA who had suddenly died of heart attacks. The first died on election night in the Russian Embassy on the Upper East Side here in Manhattan; the brief article in the Daily News was short on facts, and said that he was reported to have had a heart attack and fallen from a balcony. That's why I noticed the three that were mentioned later in the year--seems a bit weird to me--but then, I read le Carre and Len Deighton....
Syd
Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:46 pm Reply with quote
RIP Isao Takahata of Studio Ghibli, who was an animator for more than fifty years. As a director, he's best known for Grave of the Fireflies and The Tale of the Princess Kaguya.

Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
knox wrote:
I know Whiskeypriest will want to send a sympathy card....

Quote:
Actress Debbie Lee Carrington - a little person who starred in the original Total Recall as one of the Martian rebels and in Star Wars as an ewok alongside other TV and film roles - has died at 58.

According to Deadline, Carrington's death was confirmed by her sister Cathy Ellis who said she passed away in her sleep from "undetermined causes."

Born on December 14, 1959 in San Jose, California, Carrington found a passion for acting after playing Sancho Panza in the play Man of La Mancha during her junior year of high school....

-- The Independent (UK)

"It's not the R2D2 man...no, he's still going."
Actually, he died in 2016. But not a suicide.

Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:19 pm Reply with quote
We need an exorcist!

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/14/opinion/sunday/william-friedkin-exorcist-movie.html